More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    First Impressions Of A Site?
    From the story at http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...TES.xml&rpc=22
    it is proposed that visitors to a site make a judgement about a site from the first instant they visit. If this is true, it would make sense to try different layouts on a ppc entry page to see which converted best.

To some degree I have found this principle to hold. In the past, very small changes in site design have had a big impact.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I agree Cheeshead,

Just check your server stats and see how many pages turn into exits within 0-30 seconds.

I rely on decent (simple) graphic design to convince the visitor that mine is a "legit" page.

I have found that (for ppc pages) by keeping the ad units to a minimum or out of the hot zones on the entry page, I can get the visitor to "buy into" the content. As they move through the content (pages), I increase the number and prominence of the add units - the more you get further away from the entry page.

By the way, the University that was mentioned in the article is in my home town. We used to call it "Last Chance U". But I agree with the article just the same...

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    I agree Cheeshead,

I have found that (for ppc pages) by keeping the ad units to a minimum or out of the hot zones on the entry page, I can get the visitor to "buy into" the content. As they move through the content (pages), I increase the number and prominence of the add units - the more you get further away from the entry page.
    Interesting. I do this also on heavy content sites for my index page. I have not verified with server stats however. It just seemed to be a good common sense thing to do - don't bombard with ads on the index page.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Lightbulb
    but in the real Web the "entry" page is seldom the index page.

Spot on, Herb. But if he's using PPC, he can control that...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    but in the real Web the "entry" page is seldom the index page.
    Unless you can successfully "brand" your site. Also, for non-search engine promotion methods, you generally send people to the index page.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Unless you can successfully "brand" your site. Also, for non-search engine promotion methods, you generally send people to the index page.
    gotcha. for branding purposes, I try to get my visitors to bookmark the index pages of my sites. Some of my sites undergo radical change 2-3 times a year so if a page was bookmarked it wouldn't have the same products on the next visit.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread