Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The Spin Is In!
    - - - - - - - - -
    House of Nutrition Affiliate Newsletter -
    1/18/06
    You affiliates are awesome! So awesome, in fact, that House of Nutrition is back-logged in affiliate orders! The owner said he needs a couple of weeks to get the warehouse fulfillment center caught up. Not wanting to shut down the affiliate links, we have decreased the base commission level to 5% (to be effective 1/26/06), still a comparable percentage in our industry, but we thought that would slow down incoming orders to allow time to get our act together. I apologize for having to do this, but I hope to reward you all for your patience in a couple of weeks! Thank you!
    - - - - - - - -
    Now, I haven't actually started to promote them.... but let's see if I get this straight.
    The program is SO successful, you have to LOWER % to discourage sales? Shutting down affiliate links was an option? Er, Kim, JMO, but, lowering % because you didn't have enough stock is not going to sit well with your affiliates...
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    - - - - - - - - -
    1/18/06
    You affiliates are awesome! So awesome, in fact, that House of Nutrition is back-logged in affiliate orders! The owner said he needs a couple of weeks to get the warehouse fulfillment center caught up. Not wanting to shut down the affiliate links, we have decreased the base commission level to 5% (to be effective 1/26/06), still a comparable percentage in our industry, but we thought that would slow down incoming orders to allow time to get our act together. I apologize for having to do this, but I hope to reward you all for your patience in a couple of weeks! Thank you!
    - - - - - - - -

Now, I haven't actually started to promote them.... but let's see if I get this straight.

The program is SO successful, you have to LOWER % to discourage sales? Shutting down affiliate links was an option? Er, Kim, JMO, but, lowering % because you didn't have enough stock is not going to sit well with your affiliates...
    I have heard many in my days, but errrrrr this one is good. Not one affiliate will buy into it, but good non the less. They need an understanding of how affiliates work and how the affiliate channel in general works. The SERPS will not react to a commish drop, that will only piss off some affiliates royally.

Send them to my affiliate manager seminar ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Let me put this in my book of ideas...NOT!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    LOL...this is hilarious...they must think their affiliates are absolutely stupid not to figure this one out...good grief!

I agree, send them to Andy's seminar...
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Sounds to me they can't handle the orders they are getting and want to slow down a bit so they can catch up expand etc. Not uncommon in retail. Just look at Snapper the lawn mower people they pulled out of wal-mart because they couldn't handle the demand but they will say because wal-mart wasn't making them money.

SWEET..!!
    What Program Is That..??
    I wanna sign-up right away.... LOL..

My Personal Favorite Part::
    "I apologize for having to do this, but I hope to reward you all for your patience in a couple of weeks! Thank you!"

Sure you will...

EC:

Thanks for the post. Best laugh I had all day>!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Omg - This is HILARIOUS! Unreal - RUN!!!!!

People never stop amazing me, especially people who pay commissions without getting ANY of the bottom line which is SALES! DOH!

If I got that email, I'd have replied with the most wicked rant. Glad I didn't. I'll save my energy for more constructive purposes

Grrrrrrrrrr crazy bast*rds! I can't help continuing the rant ... it's INSANE!!!!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I received the same email from them, sent them one back explaining things. Maybe they will get a clue!

Please don't kill the messenger!

I did not make that decision. In fact, I tried to talk the company out of it. What they really wanted to do was "pause" affiliate links completely for a few weeks, which would have been even worse. They have no clue about affiliate marketing.

Putting myself in the affiliates' shoes, I totally agree, and already told the merchant he would lose affiliates over such a decision. I guess I thought I should at least warn you it was happening, so you could pull your links if you wanted.

My apologies. And thank you Hardware Geek for understanding their situation.
    After all of this chaos, I am ending my relationship with them, as I don't want the bad reputation associated with myself.

Unhappy
    Did they consider raising prices 10-20% (at least temporarily?).
    That might slow volume and keep everybody happy. If it didnt slow volume, would that be such a problem???

I'm an active affiliate & never got the e-mail BTW.....

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    This one should have been posted in the daily chuckle forum!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    KIMarketing, not sure you would want to do this after your post but getting mgt to read this thread 'might' help them understand the impact of this decision a little better.. just a thought -GBM

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMarketing
    Please don't kill the messenger!

I did not make that decision. In fact, I tried to talk the company out of it. What they really wanted to do was "pause" affiliate links completely for a few weeks, which would have been even worse. They have no clue about affiliate marketing.

Putting myself in the affiliates' shoes, I totally agree, and already told the merchant he would lose affiliates over such a decision. I guess I thought I should at least warn you it was happening, so you could pull your links if you wanted.

My apologies. And thank you Hardware Geek for understanding their situation.
    After all of this chaos, I am ending my relationship with them, as I don't want the bad reputation associated with myself.
    Good for you for getting out before they drag you into the grave with them, KI. I'm sure you'll land someplace much better. If I had been an aff of these morons, I'd have appreciated the warning, so you done good.

Scary that these are people who work with human HEALTH issues ... they should get brain transplants while they're still in business.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Talking
    - - - - - - - - -
    1/18/06
    - - - - - - - -
    How would reducing the commission rate slow down the amount of affiliate orders coming in - other that causing you to lose a lot of affiliates - which I guess would reduce the amount of orders coming in ???????????????

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Talking
    I guess all of us dumb ole' affiliates could take down your links that we have and put up links to all of your competitors. Boy - I bet that would sure cut your orders back - so you could get caught up.

I also bet that your orders would be cut back from now on - which would also be good for you.

That way you would never - ever - have to worry about getting behind on orders again.

Lets See - Our affiliates are doing really good getting orders for us - so - Lets reward them by giving them a good old fashion .

- - - - - - - - -
    1/18/06
    [left][font=Verdana][size=2]You affiliates are awesome! So awesome, in fact, that House of Nutrition is back-logged in affiliate orders! The owner said he needs a couple of weeks to get the warehouse fulfillment center caught up. Not wanting to shut down the affiliate links, we have decreased the base commission level to 5%
    Are they operating in the real world?? Could you imagine if this was a "business model"- "Um, yeah Jack! You are doing so awesome selling those widgets for me that I'm going to have to give you a pay decrease on your salary, -oh by the way, keep up the good work"
    -or -
    "Memo to all employees: "If you beat your sales projections for the month and earn our company huge profits, you will be terminated" -or-

"Sales contest: 3rd place gets a gift certificate; 2nd place get steak knives; 1st place gets fired."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVanHook
    Are they operating in the real world?? Could you imagine if this was a "business model"- "Um, yeah Jack! You are doing so awesome selling those widgets for me that I'm going to have to give you a pay decrease on your salary, -oh by the way, keep up the good work"
    -or -
    "Memo to all employees: "If you beat your sales projections for the month and earn our company huge profits, you will be terminated" -or-

"Sales contest: 3rd place gets a gift certificate; 2nd place get steak knives; 1st place gets fired."
    Too funny!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Talking
    All of this can be explained with pictures.

Whoever decided to do this is full of and needs a good .

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I'm an active affiliate & never got the e-mail BTW.....

Maybe your spam filter sent it to the JUNK E-Mail folder, because that is where it belongs.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Why not read this email and take it at face value. That email was very clear. All it says is they are asking you to stop sending them orders by taking down all their links until they reraise their commission. They are saying that under no circumstances dent them clients they can't fulfill the orders anyway. When they are ready for more sales, they will signal it by raising their commissions.

So stop laughing and just remove all their links, they will signal that they want sales again by reraising their commissions. The question is when they are ready to make sales again will you want to put their links back or have you moved on to something else.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Why not read this email and take it at face value. That email was very clear.
    Mike
    Mike,
    I took their e-mail very much at "Face value". That's why it is so funny. Millions of people can run a business properly and there are some who will wing it with bad desicions and stupid practices. -They are the latter!

I mean, do you you feel compassionate for the guy who committed Tax evasion because he can't understand how to fill out his tax form and wouldn't seek professional help or advice.
    Based on the post in this thread it looks like the Affiliate mgr. advised them against doing this. And we both know what they have chosen to do, anyway. So yeah, in conclusion, I this hillariously funny.

After receiving that joke of a email from House of Nutrition, I received this one from another merchant.

Dear Affiliate,
    I’m pleased to announce a significant payout increase, mainly for -------. We recently experienced some significant financial gains that helped grow our revenue per lead, leading to this change.
    We recognize that the ------- markets are becoming increasingly competitive. We will further strive to grow our agent base in these areas so we can continue to offer the most competitive payouts possible—in every area.
    We greatly appreciate your commitment to -------. It is our goal to build the best affiliate program possible. One way we’re working at this is by listening to our affiliates. We have already received invaluable feedback, resulting in improved conversions and consumer experience.
    It’s wonderful to have so many affiliates on board helping ------- win against the world’s best!

The merchant that started this thread should ask for lessons.

Talking
    I don't suppose you'll tell us who ------- is ??

It was InsureMe, I was not sure if I should promote by posting the name of the merchant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast