Question How does one become an Affiliate Manager?
    I see on these forums a lot of you have Affiliate Manager as your title. How did you become an Affiliate Manager? Did you startup your own Affiliate Network and therefore claim the title? Was an Affiliate Network hiring new people for an Affiliate Manager's position? If so, what kind of qualifications does one need to become an Affiliate Manager?

Any assistance you can share on this would be much appreciated.

Dan

Affiliate managers here are mostly not working for a network, but working directly for a company. And the variety of AM's makes it a bit hard to answer your questions. Some run affiliate programs for companies without any training and very little clue as to what is what. Others, for example, have taken the Andy Rodriguez Affiliate Manager Certification course (the only training course I am aware of). Most, I guess, were once affiliates like ourselves who branched out.

Hope that helps.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Andy has just scheduled another seminar:
    http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

If you're going to approach merchants (or prospective merchants), it'll help a lot to have a certification under your belt, not to mention meeting industry peers and learning best practices.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiftFinder
    Any assistance you can share on this would be much appreciated.

Dan
    Dan, welcome to our family ...

Email me and I will steer you in the right direction. There is a learning curve and the affiliate manager needs a diverse set of skills which can be aquired if not already present.

I also have the seminar coming up in April you can benefit from......i can give you more details as well.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I won my job in a particularly agressive game of Texas Hold 'em. That and a fair bit of time working as a liaison for the company that eventually hired me to manage their program.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I got my job in steps. First 6 years of Internet marketing experience, SEO, PPC, email, affiliate programs. Then I took a job as a full time AM, 75 minute commute, working with no windows under flourescent lights all day. Then I joined this forum, started networking, talking to peers, listening to affiliates. When I found out about parasites I searched here and contacted a handful of AM's who had done battle before. One of them hired me! Easy. Now I talk to other AM's and listen to what affiliates are saying. Easy!

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Affiliate managers here are mostly not working for a network, but working directly for a company.
    That begs the question, what are folks called at Networks who manage a merchant's program? We have Affiliate Managers because we work with our merchants as OPM's - now I'm curious to find out what titles are over at Networks...any idea Ron?

I started (even though I don't have the title of Affiliate Manager at the moment) out as a Merchant in the online-dating business and moved over to Share Results (I outsourced the management of my program to them). I have to say, so far, it's a fairly good position to be in to learn the business. I have the opportunity to delve quite deeply onto both sides of the coin.

So far, I'm having a ball :-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

I've found that most seem to use the title Affiliate Manager even if they have a different one at the network because it conveys a clear message as to their role and responsibilities. Of note, when I spoke of networks, I really meant smaller organizations like ShareResults, not the monster networks.
    Last edited by Ron Bechdolt; January 26th, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Got it, thanks Ron :-)
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Affiliate Manager
    any plans on a future seminar in Canada?

Say Toronto or Vancouver?

Had to throw it out there ...

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I came at it a little differently. I've done lots of different kinds of marketing and sales in the past but for the last 10 years I was a freelance graphic designer. I learned about websites and running a business, but didn't know much about being an AM. Thank God for ABestWeb. You can learn SO MUCH here. But if you can, you probably should take Andy's Course.

I'm not sure ALL AM skills can be taught, Andy. But most can. A couple of the key ones come from genetics...

The question of the original poster is well answered above, I'd just suggest that it's CRITICALLY important to be well informed as to whats happening in aff marketing before you take the plunge into managing it... You're at a very good place (ABW) to begin with. Soak in the knowledge, and be sure to build some affiliate sites on your own, so you can learn what makes a good program good, and a bad program bad.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread