Peter is writing a new program for me
    OK, what this one will do is search through a whole bunch of data feeds and write NEW data feeds based on keywords entered.

For instance, If I want a feed to include 14Kt Gold Topaz Earrings, it will search all my feeds from all my merchants and add products to a new feed based on the words in that search.

Then, if I want to add Sterling Silver Pearl Necklaces, to the same feed, it will add those items. Thus, It will create new feeds for me based on my criteria from searching through all the spreadsheets I tell it to look at.

Of course, the feeds it looks at to get the information will need to have the merchant's URLs and images and so forth in the same column to start with because it will write the line as it finds it to create the new feed.

It will also record the keyword searches used to get each line in a separate column on the newly created feed which will ease writing headings, sub-headings, catagories, sub-catagories and so forth from the finished the feed.

Well, this is going to be a handy dandy tool for me at least.

My feeds will be unique and I won't have to depend on merchants making catagories. I will just have to decide what I want to put on a site and make feeds according to my needs.

Probably, I will get some funky results, at first, but that will just be a matter of glancing at the feed and deleting those rows that don't really go.

Should be a lot faster than what I do now.

Also, I can add a synonym list so it will read Children, child, kids etc. as the same thing and give me the out put I desire such as "Children's"

I hope to test the beta next week.

What do you think?
    Last edited by SSanf; January 19th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

This is something I've done and it's extremely useful. But I don't create a new feed using the information. When feeds come to me I record their categories and have a category search engine in my site administration panel. So suppose I've got 30 feeds entered into the system. I can search the categories of all these feeds for something like "women's shoes" and assign each of these categories to my own category structure. Then when the feeds are imported the products in the selected categories will go into my own category structure on my site. There's a lot more overhead doing it the way I've done it, so I can see why you're taking an alternate approach.

If you'd like to support any datafeed format, I suggest building a datafeed mapping mechanism so you can map each of the datafeed fields of each datafeed to your own product database structure. This is a huge time saver and will solve your problem of supporting feeds with different formats.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib, the problem that I have had is that so many merchant's do not have any kind of catagories or they are worthless. I guess, you are doing some kind of dynamic thingy-do. This will create unique feeds for us static kind of folks who use webmerge and similar tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    If you'd like to support any datafeed format, I suggest building a datafeed mapping mechanism so you can map each of the datafeed fields of each datafeed to your own product database structure. This is a huge time saver and will solve your problem of supporting feeds with different formats.

- Scott
    You are way over my head but I will bet Peter will understand it.

I need tools for dummies and Peter can make them.

I am going to end up with a whole set of data feed tools for dummies by the time I am through!

One thing I learned early on was to COMPENSATE for my deficiencies. I may not have brains or muscles either but I sure as hell can rent them!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It sounds like you're making the right kind of investments. I'm a huge proponent of programming and scripting. I'm absolutely positive that webmasters who embrace technology early will be much more successful later down the road.

- Scott

Talking
    I hope it works out for you SandraD.

I would be interested in the program if your programmer can get it to do what you say you want it to do.

I assume you would be able to run the program on your home computer vs. having to run it on your internet server ??

I would want to run it on my computer at home to build the pages with webmerge and then publish them to the internet.

Another plus would be if the program automatically encrypted the links when it built the new combined feed for you to use.

You could have the decryption code for the encrypted links in the head of your page and when the computer loads your page it would know how to un-encrypt the link when it was clicked on.

That way your affiliate links would be hidden from the SE's when they index your page - I think - I may be wrong.

I have had better luck with encrypted affiliate links than raw ones but I have had to do them one at a time by hand.

If they were automatically encrypted in the new feed by your program when it created the new feed - then when you ran the feed in webmerge your links would all be encrypted when the pages were built without you having to do it by hand.

This would also get by norton blocking also wouldn't it ?????

You would just have the decryption code in your webmerge template.

You could also have a random generator build into the program so that when it encrypted the affiliate links in the new feed the encryption would be different each time you had it build a new feed.

That would stop duplicate links on your different sites if you used the feed on more than one site.

Just re-generate the feed for a different site and the encryption would be different for that site.

What do you Think SandraD.

Would that work ????
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 19th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy

I assume you would be able to run the program on your home computer vs. having to run it on your internet server ??

I would want to run it on my computer at home to build the pages with webmerge and then publish them to the internet.
    Yes, that is what I want it for, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy

Another plus would be if the program automatically encrypted the links when it built the new combined feed for you to use.

You could have the decryption code for the encrypted links in the head of your page and when the computer loads your page it would know how to un-encrypt the link when it was clicked on.

That way your affiliate links would be hidden from the SE's when they index your page - I think - I may be wrong.

I have had better luck with encrypted affiliate links than raw ones but I have had to do them one at a time by hand.

If they were automatically encrypted in the new feed by your program when it created the new feed - then when you ran the feed in webmerge your links would all be encrypted when the pages were built without you having to do it by hand.

This would also get by norton blocking also wouldn't it ?????

You would just have the decryption code in your webmerge template.

You could also have a random generator build into the program so that when it encrypted the affiliate links in the new feed the encryption would be different each time you had it build a new feed.

That would stop duplicate links on your different sites if you used the feed on more than one site.

Just re-generate the feed for a different site and the encryption would be different for that site.

What do you Think SandraD.

Would that work ????
    Sounds doable. I guess, I would have to learn how to encrypt links. But, I am sure if it is something you can do by hand, it could be built in. I would need to explain how links are encrypted to Peter.

Talking
    I had a guy I know here write a program at one time that would automatically encrypt the links in a feed but it had some bugs in it with the different delimited codes.

When it hit commas in the description and the feed was comma delimited it would get confused even though it was only suppose to only be encrypting the url fields. He finally gave up on it.

The program needs to let you select how the feed is delimited like webmerge does and then also let you select which fields in the feed you want encrypted.

It can be done. I guess my guy was not smart enough to do it.

Maybe Pete is smarter than he was and can figure out to do it.

Talking
    If Pete can write a program like I described I will bet that you will sure be able to sell it to a lot of affiliates.

Nothing like this exsist that will build a new feed and encrypt for you at the same time that I know of.

At least - I haven't been able to find one.

Talking
    I found the program he wrote and was working on for automatic field encryption and opened it in notepad.

The programming code he wrote was all greek to me but maybe Peter could make some sense out of it if he took a look at it.

If you're interested in Peter taking a look at it PM me and I try to get it to you.

I've been watching this discussion, and I have a question.

If you somehow "encrypt" a link, wouldn't it still look like a link, just with random characters in the URL?

If so, wouldn't the SEs see that as a bad link, since following it would give a 404?

It's my impression that the SEs don't like to see lots of 404 links on a site. So if all the above's true it might be a bad idea to encrypt them this way.

Am I misunderstanding something about what exactly you mean by "encrypting" a link?
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

He probably could do it but I need more info on what it is and how it works.

Best send me a PM with your e-mail because I am almost full on my PMs.

What do you mean by an encrypted link? Why not just store the link in a database and use a redirect? Call something like /click.php?link_id=3523, record the click locally and redirect the user to the merchant page. How does encrypting differ from that?

- Scott

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread