I've just noticed sportsauthority and gi joe's have zero cookie days now!

Zero cookies, no wonder sales from sportsauthority and gi have disappeared!
    Think I'll have to go through all my merchants and see what's going on

What a freaking joke isn't it?

It's one thing that an individual merchant screws you but we should be holding Conmission Junction accountable for this crap! It's nothing new either they have know about this BS for a long time now.

ABW Ambassador
    If enough affiliates pulled their links down they could become "zero sale merchants".

That might wake some of them up. :confused:

zerocookie? Perhaps they are bankrupt and close their business? Isn't it a signe for that?
    Jonny

As I had suggested before - I would like cookie length stats available for all merchants just like how we can compare the 7-day/3-month EPCs.

The result? - longer cookie lengths because of competition between merchants - increased commissions for affiliates and CJ - well deserved exposure for merchants using 0-day and 5-year cookie lengths.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org

quote:
    Originally posted by Deelz:
    If enough affiliates pulled their links down they could become "zero sale merchants".

hahaha

whats so bad is that the same company that operates sportsauthority also runs several other related programs at cj (or at least they used to) as far as i know, sports authority doenst even run it themselves. MAYBE a call to them is in order??

(again, that was last years info, not sure about now)

Well I'm pulling zero cookie merchants!
    There are more merchants then we can poke a stick at to replace them!

If I worked as a commission only suit I'd get commissions for customers I bring in I don't see why it should be any different working the web!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This company is run and operated by an affilite enabled merchant management group called Global Sports Inc. They also have several other sporting goods sites at CJ and Fogdog Sports at BeFree along with Ashford. All a bunch of loosers on conversions due to some clugged shopping cart/e-catalog interface that appears to strip out the reportingg tag. They force all their pool of merchants to use their cart system and load the items into their catalog. Ashford now doesn't perform either for those dumb enough to showcase them with ZERO COOKIE days.

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Not all sports merchants are associated with Global Sports or have "Zero" cookie days.

BackcountryStore.com has a 180 day cookie duration and a full-time affiliate manager, me.

We don't carry stick and ball stuff, but we have everything your visitors want for Outdoor Sports. So if you are removing links to FogDog and Sports Authority, take a look at our program.

Larry - I thought cookie duration was visible for all merchants?

Thanks,

Bryan

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Bryan - BackcountryStore.com ]

If I could offer the following advice in dealing with merchants.

Contact them directly first. If they don't have an affiliate program manager or don't know what affiliate marketing is, drop them.

If the merchants don't respond to your requests, drop them. We do a substantial percentage of our business through affiliate marketing and know how powerful it is. All affiliates are valuable and if you aren't being treated with respect, then why support that company? They probably treat their customers the same way and won't stay in business for long.

That's my

I have contacted many of the GlobalSports.com merchants to no avail,
    Sportschalet.com, Duhamssports.com, mcsports.com, Oshmans.com and thesportsauthority.com and like EcomCity.com says they are a waste of site space and bandwidth. I am slowly removing all traces of them and replacing them with Bryans program BackcountryStore.com. I would recomend others do the same.

Bryan, you put it in a nutshell [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm an affiliate of yours and have been for quite awhile and although my sales for you have been spasmodic over the years, due to the nature of my site and the visitors I'm targeting, you've always been great.

These past few days I've been getting rid of the deadwood, developing the " great outdoors" side of one of my sites, expanding your presence together with a couple of other proven merchants in the sports categories.

I pulled and replaced one zero cookie "black powder" merchant yesterday and immediately pulled a sale!

We know we can sell, most of us make a nice living at this, so why in heck put up with this malarky!
    As Bryan said: If they don't treat you with respect, they probably treat their customers the same way!

And I don't know about you guys, but my sites are all about treating them with respect and giving them they want or what they don't know they really want [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]!

Thanks for switching over to BackcountryStore.com, mousejockey!! I know switching links is a huge time investment. Be sure to check out the BackcountryStore.com forum for a list of top products and brands. We're switching e-commerce platforms later this summer and the new website design will have a place for affiliates to locate top products and special offers. In the meantime, everything is being posted hear at ABW.

As for Zero cookie lengths, I don't know who these other merchants are trying to fool. I don't have any hard numbers, you all have personal experience, but it's clear that a zero cookie duration hurts the affiliate, and I would argue that it hurts the merchant as well. The beauty of the internet is that you can track where every sale comes from. If a merchant believes their million dollar superbowl commercial drove in sales that really came from Affiliates, they just wasted a lot of money.
    I'd rather pay my Affiliates fairly and take them to the SuperBowl, or World Cup for those of you on the other side of the pond.

Luckily when I applied I was rejected because I am not from the states, how narrow minded is that. Oh well their loss and the bcstores gain.

All,

quote:
    If the merchants don't respond to your requests, drop them. We do a substantial percentage of our business through affiliate marketing and know how powerful it is. All affiliates are valuable and if you aren't being treated with respect, then why support that company? They probably treat their customers the same way and won't stay in business for long.

Here, Here ... I can say that in addition to BCS' position against parasiteware, their cookie duration and dedication to affiliates, which in, combination is unsurpased in their category (on any network).

BackCountryStore.com an officially endorsed ABW merchant for their ACTIONS not fees (I invited them (for free) after I called and spoke with them - I was that impressed!)

I highly recommend them!

Continued Success,

Haiko
    PS. Bryan, I'll have a logo made for your sign up page that says your ABW endorsed!

I'm heading to a wedding next May in Japan, maybe I'll swing by New Zealand on the way back and drop off the catalogs you requested!! I'm collecting another pile to send your way, but I won't use USPS this time.
    quote:
    Originally posted by maccas:
    Luckily when I applied I was rejected because I am not from the states, how narrow minded is that. Oh well their loss and the bcstores gain.

And it certainly has been our gain. Thanks.

Haiko,

I'll look forward to the endorsement banner. I'm rewriting all of our sign-up pages, so your timing is perfect.

Thanks,

Bryan

ABW Ambassador
    I would like to see this topic added as a top level item rather than in the commision junction folder.

A top level folder where you note the vendor and the program it belongs to would be ideal.

I realize the post was specific to a cj merchant but, it's hard to stay on top of merchants with zero cookie days and I for one am pulling all my vendors who do this.
    They cause me to lose income on other merchants who will pay!

Let's rally together and pull them or we'll lose more ground in allowing other merchants to ponder this.

Haiko,

Having a topic list for ZERO cookie merchants would be most useful - or better since you are always trying to play Ghandi,
    a category page only for merchants with say
    45 day cookies or greater.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I need to get off my lazy butt and pull down all the Global Sports merchnats. In reduing all my sporting goods section I'll add-in BCS links as well as Overstock. I got one check form FogDog in 4 years ..whoopie..now they're Global Sports so goodbye free traffic. Posting a ZERO cookie merchant section is a real call to action ..do it Haiko since that is a real stumbling block to a commission check. No valid merchant n be made for less than 15 day cookies. All the parasites get 360 days on their redirects.

Additional GSI Information... RE: Partial Returns

I recently made a purchase through one of my own GSI links, and made a pretty hefty purchase. The transaction tracked, but I had to return one item out of the 12 I ordered.

GSI ended up reversing out the transaction completely.

I don't think CJ can handle partial returns, but the Advertiser should take this into consideration and apply any workaround they can so they don't royally screw Publishers like this :mad:

quote:
    Additional GSI Information

Just checking - by GSI do you mean Global Sports?

ABW Ambassador
    Just look for the ones with the "**" 2 asterisks before there name. It also appears that Oshmans is one of the gang.

Every single time that I do a product link search on CJ, I drool and dream and spin in my chair when I see their offerings.

I only have about 50 pages on my site right now. But I swear that I would have 50 more up - with PPC listings too - within 48 hours for this crew. .If there was a cookie.

I know that I am not the only one.

I droppped them all..

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread