Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Help Out A High Speed Newbie Please
    Alright, first time i've ever had high speed, just got finished moving everything over to new apt. Cable guy came over Saturday and I said I wanted both my computer and digital cable hooked up in same room. Said he couldn't do it, said they're not allowed because of the apartment complex. Also no satellite hence the digital cable for TV. But he said I could do it on my own. Problem is I'm severely tech challenged and have no idea how.

I have 1 cable connection in the bedroom and 1 in the living room. So right now TV is in the living room and computer in the bedroom. I want to be able to work on the computer in the living room and in a few months get another TV for the bedroom and hook cable up to that.

Anybody know what I need to buy and what to put where to get all this working? Something about routers and splitters. Thanks for any help.

http and a telephoto
    It is my understanding you need a separate line for the computer, not just splitting the tv cable. But I could have misunderstood. It is also a separate service in most areas, you can't just split the tv cable and hook it to a router and go.....

Maybe get broadband DSL for the internet?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Each cable company requires something different. I have Comcast and I needed to get a cable modem (which I got from them). I have a router but only use it for my laptop.

Try calling your cable company's tech dept & see what they say. Often cable installers don't know the in's & out's of hooking it all together.

ABW Ambassador
    He said there was some way to do it, but i was very sleepy and of course had no idea what he was talking about. I forgot to mention that i also asked him about my laptop (Centrino) and how to use it when I travel. He said something that i need to get somebody else that they don't do it. Is that right? It's Charter if that helps.

"Each cable company requires something different. I have Comcast and I needed to get a cable modem (which I got from them). I have a router but only use it for my laptop."

I have the cable modem from them, renting at $5 a month for the computer. Have the digital cable box for the TV. The cable connections also share the same wall, meaning on one side is my bedroom/computer and cable modem and on the other side of the wall is the living room/digital cable box.
    Last edited by Trust; January 23rd, 2006 at 11:47 AM.

I have this type of setup in my office. There is one cable coming up from my basement to the office. That cable goes into a splitter (1 in and 2 out). One cable goes to the TV and has some kind filter on it where it plugs into the splitter. The other cable goes into my cable modem. A cable from the modem (outgoing) goes into my Linksys Wireless G router. Then a cable from my router to my PC and my laptop connects wirelessly. Since I got Vonage, it got a little more complicated since they also sent me a router for the phone service but I won't get into that setup since you don't need it. When I travel, I look for hotels with high speed access. So far, they have been wired access so the setup is easy, just plug in the network cable and turn the PC on and follow the instructions.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Trust,

You need this: 2-way digital splitter.

Then you will need two extra cables, or you can cut them from the original cable if there is enough. One cable goes to your digital cable TV box for television and the other one goes to your cable modem for computer. You will need to a tool and bolts to hook cables to in and out of this splitter.

Now, for your laptop; you can buy one of this wireless routers like Linksys, for about $50, and hook it up to your modem's ethernet port, where you're hooking up your computer cable now, and take that computer cable and connect it you new router. This will create a wireless internet connection to which you can acess around your apartment.

I use OptimumOnline (Cablevision) in New York, they set up the cables exactly as I wanted, which is similar to the above set up. I live in a aparment complex, too. I can't think of a reason why they should not do it, and then tell you how to do it.

ABW Ambassador
    ...and has some kind filter on it where it plugs into the splitter.

Our cable guy uses some kind of meter to determine what filter to use.
    He uses trial and error to get it right. Has to do with the strenth of the signal at your location.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Charter (at least Charter here...and don't get me going about their service) uses 2 separate lines...one for TV and one for computer. Completely separate. Sounds like the apartment folks only want one cable hole per room.

Trust are you using just a laptop? Or are you wanting a desktop in the livingroom? If you are using just a laptop, it's an easy solution for the computer.

When you are ready for the TV in the bedroom, you'll have to do the splitter thing from the TV line in your livingroom. Probably the easiest thing for you to do is go to your local RadioShack, tell them exactly what you are wanting to do and they should send you home with everything you need and instructions. The guys at my RadioShack live for people like me who come in with that totally blank look on their face.

And of course there is always getting yourself a really long piece of coax and those things that hold it flush to walls and just running it from the bedroom to the livingroom. That only works if you don't care about seeing cable running along your baseboards. LOL.

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust are you using just a laptop? Or are you wanting a desktop in the livingroom?"

No, not using the laptop, that's just for travel. You have it right with me wanting to use the desktop in the living room. I like to watch TV while I work. Yeah the Radio Shack people should love me

It's a great apt. except for those rules they have with the cable and no satellite, also only have 2 phone jacks, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. You figure they would have had one for the living room or dining room. So now I'm just trying to figure out how to get all this working with what i've got.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    And of course there is always getting yourself a really long piece of coax and those things that hold it flush to walls and just running it from the bedroom to the livingroom. That only works if you don't care about seeing cable running along your baseboards. LOL.
    That's what I'd do! Low-tech and nearly foolproof.

If you don't want to see the cable at the baseboards, you can always cover it up with a piece of carpet up the wall (like hotels always use instead of wood molding). There's even rubber things you can put over cords that go across halls so you don't trip and break your...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Actually the quickest way is to get a long ethernet cable (also availabe at Radioshack) and run it from the modem in your bedroom to the living room into th computer. Again you can get the little clip things that will hold it flush along the baseboards or ceiling. Even doing the splitter thing, you are going to have to run some kind of cable/line from the bed room to livingroom. You can run through the attic or walls like in a house. I'm going to be doing the long ethernet cable here in a bit while I do some renovations to the office. Just going to run the ethernet cable out and set up the computer temporarily in another part of the house.

The other option is to get your self a wireless router. You may have to get the right hardware for wireless on the desktop also depending on what your desktop has. Then you can leave it in your bedroom and connect wireless in the livingroom. The thing with wireless is sometimes you can get weak signals depending on far the computer is from the router, how many walls the signal has to go through, etc. When my brother was here, he set his computer up wireless and for whatever reason, there is terrible signal here.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Trust,

you may have tried this but: http://www.charter.com/site/startchatsplash.aspx

My advice:

Get a wireless network connected to one of your high speed lines, add a wireless network card to your desktop.

More info on wireless here. But stuff anyhwere you like...

Use desktop anywhere in the apartment...

Be sure to lock down access though, you don't want your neighbors bumming access from your router ....

To add to Kellie's post: get a good quality router the first time around. In an apartment, connectivity should not be a problem...i have a wireless network in my house and all my pc's (8) are connected via the router, wirelessly...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    It is my understanding you need a separate line for the computer, not just splitting the tv cable. But I could have misunderstood. It is also a separate service in most areas, you can't just split the tv cable and hook it to a router and go.....

Maybe get broadband DSL for the internet?
    I have high-speed cable internet connection.

I just used a splitter and ran one cable to the computer cable modem and the other cable to the tv.

It works fine. That's all you have to do.

You can get a coaxil splitter and a second coaxil cable at Wal-Marts.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

BurgerBoy, it depends on your cable company. Charter's system doesn't let you do that. If I split the line for my TV and ran one to my computer I wouldn't have Internet connection. I might be able to watch TV on the computer though. Not sure.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    Each cable company requires something different. I have Comcast and I needed to get a cable modem (which I got from them). I have a router but only use it for my laptop.

Try calling your cable company's tech dept & see what they say. Often cable installers don't know the in's & out's of hooking it all together.

If you need a cable modem you can get one at Office Depo.

I got a d-link cable modem from them and it works fine.

After I installed it at home I went to the Cable TV office - took the cable modem box with me - and they entered that modem serial Number - etc. - into their system.

By the time I got back home it was working and I've never had any problems with it.

You will have to let them enter the modem information into their system though.

It will not work until you do.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    BurgerBoy, it depends on your cable company. Charter's system doesn't let you do that. If I split the line for my TV and ran one to my computer I wouldn't have Internet connection. I might be able to watch TV on the computer though. Not sure.
    I'm on and using Charter.

That's the way they told me to do it.

I'm on the internet talking to you and watching TV at the same time right now.

All I used was a splitter.

Run one cable from the splitter to the computer cable modem - run the other line from the splitter to your tv.

That's all I did and it works perfect.

After I installed it at home I went to the Cable TV office (Charter) - took the cable modem box with me - and they entered that modem serial Number - etc. - into their system.

By the time I got back home it was working and I've never had any problems with it.

You will have to let them enter the modem information into their system though.

It will not work until you do.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 23rd, 2006 at 01:04 PM.

We must have different systems then. I wanted to do that and couldn't. I was forced to have 2 holes drilled into my walls for both cables. But then Charter here only got Internet a few years back. They literally rolled it out block by block over a year's time. I really think our whole Charter system here is somewhat band-aided together. The Internet part got so bad at one point with outages, the Charter actually gave us a free month voluntarily. No you know it's got to be bad for them to do that.

Talking
    Charter Cable has been in Western KY for about 5 years now and they have offered internet for about three years here.

I've had it ever since they offer it.

Their system is real good here.

Have never had an outage - unless the power went out around here.

Then everything was out.

Maybe they'll get the bugs worked out where you are before too long.

Talking
    Their system here is a fiber optic digital system.

Maybe their system where you are is different.

Here their internet is 3 million bps.

Boy is it fast.

When you click on something it's like you are working in your computer and never went on the internet. You click - it's there.

Of course - if the server on the merchants end doesn't open right away - it's slower - but that the fault of the server on the other end. Not Charter's.

Talking
    I don't what it cost where you are.

Here it's 29.95 per month for the internet - if you have the internet only.

I'm paying a total of 57.00 per month for all of their tv tiers and the internet.

ABW Ambassador
    "Here their internet is 3 million bps."

Yeah, it's nice. It's nice to join civilization after being on dialup all this time.

Thanks for the replies, will be going thru it all. Maybe i should just get the apt. people to not be so "something" and just let the cable guy do his thing.

Burgerboy, here's what i got in my little brochure for internet:

3 Meg $39.99
    384K $29.99

Talking
    I would just go to the cable office and ask them if you can buy your own cable modem and hook it up yourself.

If they say yes - buy a cable modem - take it to the cable office - let them enter the information they need from the modem to get it into their system - go home and hook it up - and you'll be in business.

That's what I did and it works.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Here their internet is 3 million bps."

Yeah, it's nice. It's nice to join civilization after being on dialup all this time.

Thanks for the replies, will be going thru it all. Maybe i should just get the apt. people to not be so "something" and just let the cable guy do his thing.

Burgerboy, here's what i got in my little brochure for internet:

3 Meg $39.99
    384K $29.99
    There is a state university here with about 12,000 students.

When school starts every year - they run a special price for the students that's good for a year.

When they start running the special every year I go to their office - flirt with the women there - and get them to give me the student special price.

I'm paying a total of 57.00 per month for all of their tv tiers and the internet.
    $125/month here for that. And not at those Internet speeds. I forget WHAT speed they say it's supposed to be (we have 3 tiers for speeds), but it's never what it's supposed to be. I have the fastest I can get. Still faster than dial-up though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast