Angry Heading South...
    I realize that as google's base of advertisers grows, it's likely that worse and worse ads will start to pop up. I'm finiding that the Mediapartners bot is having a terrible time serving highly relevant ads these days for pretty specific topics. And I know there are better advertisers for the keywords I'm talking about.

Driving up the cost of PPC through increased competition (even though there's evidence that it's decreasing) is good for publishers, since it increases our take. Yet at the end of the day, it would seem in some instances I'm making less, because the top bidders are garbage sites and not getting clicked on.

I realize too that I can filter who shows up, but that's also becoming a major headache. I'd almost prefer to see a list of advertisers for a particular keyword, and select a bunch that I want in, as opposed to myriads that I don't.

I've also found that gogle makes some interesting choices of keyword to pick off the page. Perhaps because they now allow us the highlight the sections of text we want spidered by the Mediabot, they have relaxed their own criteria.

Anyhow, it's not like I'm not getting any clickthroughs. I just tend to be frustrated everythime I cruise one of my sites to find out what ads are showing where. Crap, for the most part.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

You're not alone. This month has been awful for me. Not sure if it's because the December shopping season is over, so merchants are cutting back on advertising expenses.

I just checked my stats for 1/1-1/24 vs. 12/1-12/24 and everything is up. More traffic. Higher CTR. Higher eCPM. Higher earnings.

Things are shaping up to be an awesome January!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael: I have to assume then that you are seeing relevant, compelling ads on your sites? I'll also have to assume that since it's working, you don't care?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

My ads are relevant. My big complaint is they keep showing 2 ads in the large rectangle instead of the 4 ads they normally show.

- SP

They mention that on the AdSense blog... They claim they drop the 2 lowest paying ads, but they don't say what the criteria is...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Thanks for the pointing out the Adsense blog. I found this:
    From the mail bag
    Malcolm asks: I have noticed that the number of ads displayed in my large rectangle ads has dropped form 4 to 2 ads. Do you know why this is?

We say: It sounds like you're seeing expanded text ads appearing on your site. Our technology optimizes the number of ads per ad unit to ensure your site's revenue potential is maximized. When AdSense determines that fewer ads will perform better in a particular ad unit, the lower paying ads are automatically dropped.
    I think I need to change my Avatar to even out this thread Go HAWKS!

Ah.... touche'
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Once upon a time pop-up ads were pop-ular (i.e. lucrative)
    I had sites on Freeyellow and Virtualave -- both of those were almost like with their pop-ups

People became wise to pop-ups -- I think some day people will be wise to Adsense -- I know I never click the adsense ads on other people's sites.

When everyone jumps into the rowboat how long will it stay afloat?

I'm amazed people make $$ with Adsense. Currrently I have 2 Blogger/Google blogs but I haven't signed up for Adsense -- should I?

I often wonder what will be the next big thing -- just some aimless thoughts ...

Talking
    People on other forums talk about adding 1000s of pages of 'original content' and making $1000s a week off adsense.

Personally, I've started to associate it with low quality web sites. Of course it is also on a lot of high quality websites. (like some of mine)LOL

There will come a saturation point, but hey if youre making big dough, might as well ride the gravy train~!

I have started to try out out other types of advertising to fill the google ad space I have on some sites. The new ads are performing the same or better than googles' were at peak months.

Seems so many people have google ads up that people are not clicking them.
    "They have grown advertising blind to them"
    Yahoo ads I see everywhere now.

I say seek other means to fill the google ad space, at least test other means over the next several weeks, see what happens. Google is King of Search, but the adsense has become so common place on sites that surfers need other ads to entice clicks. IMO

Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

You need to blend the ads into your site... and it can be done well to avoid "ad blindness".

As for ads that outperform Google... there are none. I would sure like to see a program that beat Adsense. Yahoo has some potential but the ad relevance/targeting is still way off.

- SP

Quote Originally Posted by SuccessPoint
    You need to blend the ads into your site... and it can be done well to avoid "ad blindness".

- SP
    I'm not tying to trick my vistors into clicking adsense and leaving my site!

They are an addition to some pages to add other options to what is already on the page.

Blending the ads to get clicks is agaist googles TOS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hate it when I am at a site and I click on a google ad by mistake thinking it was part of a site...but I often click on ads on sites that have helped me in some way with info, tools, etc.. As sort of a "Thank you" for having real content and use on the web.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    I'm not tying to trick my vistors into clicking adsense and leaving my site!

They are an addition to some pages to add other options to what is already on the page.

Blending the ads to get clicks is agaist googles TOS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hate it when I am at a site and I click on a google ad by mistake thinking it was part of a site...but I often click on ads on sites that have helped me in some way with info, tools, etc.. As sort of a "Thank you" for having real content and use on the web.
    You have that backwards. If you clicked on the link not knowing, you must have thought the information relevant, and worthwhile to click That is fair to the advertiser, and for the long term value to the site. To give a thank you click, that hurts the advertiser and in the long term hurts the site and the program by generating useless clicks that do not convert.

As for comparing them to popups, popups are intrusive, adsense ads are not. People react to them very differently.

Chet

So adsense is mostly for advertisers? or publishers?
    I thought it was suppose to be a two way street and if used well can be.

With publishers throwing up adsense in disgiuse then it becomes a diservice to the advertisers because when I hit the back button, close the window, or surf off elsewhere the click was in vain.
    And you are saying the publisher can keep on with his dirty work of hiding ppc in his design? This is somehow helpful? And in sync with G's TOS? What kind of logic is that....Help me understand.

Having the ad where it can be seen as an ad or addition to a sales page is postive and helps advertisiers know if their campaign is working when it is clicked.

As for a thank you click, I try to make it a worthwild click that I have interest in, but it is in obvious favor of the affiliate. Maybe I should rethink doing that?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I just checked the TOS and the Policies, and I don't see anything against what I'd consider to be "blending." But, there may be some extreme that I'm not imagining...

The fact that the screen where you get the code from explicitly has options to change the colors of the ads indicates that blending the ads into the design in that manner is allowed.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I belive in
    Section 5 (ii)
    edit, modify, filter or change the order of the information contained in any Ad, Link, Ad Unit, Search Result, or Referral Button, or remove, obscure or minimize any Ad, Link, Ad Unit, Search Result, or Referral Button in any way;
    I think changing the color of the ad to fit in with the site color scheme is what google had in mind, not blending/obscuring the links into a sites design i.e. the navigation.

Blending is NOT against the TOS.

simple things like removing the border around the ads. making the site/page fonts match the adsense banners fonts. making the link colors match the site links. embed the ads within the content. place the ads in the "hot spot" area of the page.

If someone clicks on an Ad on my site... that means they are interested in what the ad says... that is a targeted visitor going to the advertiser’s site. I would rather have this type of visitor over a "thank you" click visitor any day.

- SP

Cursal, Your "Section 5" quote from the Adsense TOS refers to changing/modifying the adsense ads or adsense code that displays the ads. (like changing the size of the ad or using CSS to cover up the "ads by google" line.)

It is fine and within the TOS to change the border and link color using the Ad tools on the google site.

- SP

SP:

I guess I'm confused about what you mean.

The ads I'm using now do not require any special colors or blending and have been out performing the ads google used to hold.

That is what I was referring to as "ad blindness" . Everybody knows the google ads and I dislike the blending.

Just work with something new that is right there for your vistors to see and click.

I would rather not confuse my visitors with what I am picturing your are talking about.

I'll play it safe and not obscure/blend my google ads when I use them.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    The ads I'm using now do not require any special colors or blending and have been out performing the ads google used to hold.
    Are you using some type of contextual advertising? If yes, care to share who you are using? or is it affiliate links?

Thanks,

SP

I sent adsense a email I have notice that I am getting clicks and impressions but no income from the clicks.I am slightly worried about that virus Google had with clicks going over seas to a bank account there.A lot of the traffice was from Asia type countries.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread