ABW Ambassador
    Coaxial Cable Question
    I did the live chat thing with Charter and he said he thinks it will work but wasn't an expert.

I'm looking for a 50 ft. coaxial cable that goes from my wall into the cable modem. The current cable has red around it. These:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

have yellow, it's a coaxial video cable. Does that matter, will it still work? Or should i be looking for another type of coaxial cable? Thanks.

You are going to degrate your signal. Why don't you just get a wireless router put the modem and the router near the cox and just stick a wireless card in your PC.

ABW Ambassador
    Will be doing all that later. But will those cables work? What do you mean they will degrade the signal? I just want what I have now but with a longer cable.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I'm looking for a 50 ft. coaxial cable
    You mean you are making an antenna inside your apt?

Trust, any horizontal cable measuring 50 ft is going to pick up all kinds of garbage....

Go with the wireless option, best scenario. Once you go wireless you will never go back..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    Just a temp thing, i have all kinds of cables. Just wondering if those cables would work, first post.

50 feet of cable will cause your signal to degrade especially after a splitter. If I were you I would spend 60 on a router instead of 22 on cable.

Yes, it will work. ( Sue me, if it doesn't )

Just make sure to match cable head as male or female. Appropriately, the one with a stick in the middle is male, while the one with hole is female.

ABW Ambassador
    "50 feet of cable will cause your signal to degrade especially after a splitter."

Splitter? Just going to be one long 50 ft cable from wall into cable modem just so I can push my little desk on wheels into the other room where the TV is at. Just want to replace the 6 ft cable that's on now. Still going thru the other thread, there was more than one suggestion on how to do it. Still need to talk to the cable company and apt complex to make sure what I was told by the cable guy is right. So the 50 ft cable is just a temporary kind of deal until I come up with a permanent setup.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Get a long ethernet cable instead. Leave the modem in the bedroom. Replace short ethernet cable from modem to computer with long one. Roll desk into living room and enjoy TV.

I've used 100' ethernet cables and did not have a problem with degradation of signal...or least didn't not why I even had a cable that long.

ABW Ambassador
    I think i've been making harder that it has to be. The Live Chat Charter guy said basically how Burger Boy has it setup:

"Nate: If you are going to do it yourself, you should just need a cable splitter that you can get a Walmart or Radioshack. You would connect the Internet in the same way you have it now, except the cable line from the modem will be connected to the splitter in the living room."

So basically i just run the cable coming out of the living room wall into the splitter. Then 2 cables coming out of the splitter, one into the digital cable box and one into the cable modem. Seems Lester and Julie were in the same boat
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._21062526.html
    Last edited by Trust; January 24th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    As long as its well shielded and will handle the frequencies involved, a 50ft length of coax should make litle difference to your cable modem.

My cable modem is hanging off an extra 50ft of cable as the cable entry is at the opposite end of the house and it works fine.

If you've got an old satellite install there you're not using, you could pull the coax off that and use it

But the idea of leaving the modem where it is and extending the ethernet cable from the modem to your computer will work just as well, and in the future having a spare 50ft ethernet cable might be more useful than a spare 50ft coax run. :^)

ABW Ambassador
    I figured out how I'm going to do it, should have thought of it earlier. The connection in the bedroom is only about 14 ft from the TV in the living room. So I'm going to have the connection coming out of the bedroom into the TV in the living room. And the connection in the living room thats going into the digital cable box now will hook up to the computer which won't be too far from the cable in the living room. So 2 24 ft. coaxial cables should do the trick.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    50 feet of cable will cause your signal to degrade especially after a splitter.
    How? There's probably miles of cable between the cable co. and the property line, not to mention the cable that comes from there into the house (and to the TV and comp) that the cable place installed, and that works...

Talking
    TrustNo1.

I hooked the cable coming into the house from outside to the splitter.

Then I ran one cable from the splitter to the TV and the second cable from the splitter to the computer cable modem. It works perfect with no problems.

And as said above - there are miles of wire before the cable comes into your house. Adding another 50' of shielded coxial cable in your house will not hurt a thing.

You noticed that I said shielded coxial cable. All electronic coxial cable is shield with a metal shield under the outside rubber coating the cable. You cannot get any interference from a long cable because the shielding inside the cable keeps this from happening.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >You cannot get any interference from a long cable because the shielding inside the
    >cable keeps this from happening.

Well, as long as the impedance of the cable matches the impedance of the equipment at both ends of the cable :^)

But now we're getting really nerdy.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    >You cannot get any interference from a long cable because the shielding inside the

Well, as long as the impedance of the cable matches the impedance of the equipment at both ends of the cable :^)

and if we're talking digital cable, which has [two or four] layers of shielding, you'd better not mix in single-shielded cable with it. but YMMV there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    How? There's probably miles of cable between the cable co. and the property line, not to mention the cable that comes from there into the house (and to the TV and comp) that the cable place installed, and that works...
    Thats because up until the node maybe a block or two away it is fiber optics.
    Then the node to your house is cox cable, with amps inbetween.

Ever look at the wires on your telephone polls and see gray boxes every few hundred feet, Those are amps the bigger ones are Nodes.

Also thats a perfect reason for your Cable company for not wanting to wire your house, because of they do and the signals are weak it comes out of their pocket to fix it and not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    You cannot get any interference from a long cable because the shielding inside the cable keeps this from happening.
    Not true, depending on the frequency of the cables around it you can get interference sheilded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert

Well - I think - if I'm not wrong - that cable TV systems use 75 om cable.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Not true, depending on the frequency of the cables around it you can get interference sheilded or not.
    I never have.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread