ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo Knows It's Place - Not 1st - Gives Up Quest For Search Dominance

Wow!

"We would be very happy to maintain our market share."

With complacency like that, they could be a poster-child for Despair.com!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Great article - thanks. It would be great if ALL the search engines could figure out a way to keep the scraper-site garbage out of their results.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Anyone who has spent time waiting in the Yahoo Search Console (formerly Overture) knows they gave in a long time ago. SLOW system - a place where we're supposed to sign up to SPEND money with YAHOO and it's painfully slow. That's idiotic! And the continual false promises that it'll be speedier soon...

If home depot clamped a vice on my nuts every time I walked in the store, I'd find another place to shop. And such is the story with Yahoo. When you disregard your customer's needs, you lose every time. They're worried about innovation at Google and the pace of products brought to market, meanwhile the plumbing's clogged.

The slow and painful decline of Yahoo is well underway. They won't hold share.

Yahoo is one of those companies that does a gillion different things, but isn't particularly great at any of them. I've used their email for years though, so its set as my homepage. Without that, i'd probably only visit to check on my search rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Yahoo is one of those companies that does a gillion different things, but isn't particularly great at any of them. I've used their email for years though, so its set as my homepage. Without that, i'd probably only visit to check on my search rankings.
    Pretty apt way of putting it.

Fred

They may not be phenomenal in any area, but they're good enough to get a very large market share in many of them.

Yahoo Mail is incredibly popular.
    Yahoo Finance is the first place I look for most financial information.
    Yahoo News (especially the front page headlines) are great.
    Yahoo Directory used to be great (and I still like it better than DMOZ).
    Yahoo Search usually returns better results than most search engines.
    Yahoo Movies is really great for finding movie show times.
    Yahoo Weather is more than adequate.
    Yahoo Yellow Pages has replaced our printed Yellow Pages.
    Yahoo Shopping is one place I almost always look when buying products.

Their home page is a great consolidation of many of those components. You can see news headlines, the weather, stock prices, and how many unread emails you have waiting, plus you can easily access all of the rest.

I usually like Google search results better, but Yahoo's home page is what makes them my preferred start page.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yahoo Video is quite good also. Especially with their 'Media RSS' system etc. Beats Google's whole 'upload your video' crap.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Rogi, MC - I agree, Yahoo has a lot of appeal for the visitor and to me (as a visitor) as well. But to monetize that traffic, search is the main ingredient and ppc ads are the honeypot. So why is setting up, running, editing, tweaking ads and campaigns there a well-known nightmare? Because it's a colossal mistake on Yahoo's part. They should scratch the overture engine and start from scratch. They have great properties no doubt, but they're not good at monetizing them.

VCR format vs Betamax. Betamax had superior sound quality and a few other techno advantages. VCR format won because they moved to flood the video stores with movies and the choice for consumers was no longer about technology, but marketing savvy.

Yahoo does many things right, but the people at the top responsible for their ppc mechanisms should be fired.

Between accounts I control for clients and my own ppc accounts, my annual spend (or directed spend) is well over 7 figures and growing quickly. I used to take the time to use Yahoo when I was smaller. Last month my Yahoo spend was $0. I don't have the time required to putz around in their mud trying to spend my money. And I know from talking to other ppc consultants that I am not alone.

Yahoo provides ads for MSN, buty more and more the MSN ads are coming from MSN's ppc engine (the beta). If you look over the MSN adCenter Beta, the formats and feel are halfway between Overture and Google - and the speed of MSN adCenter is NOTHING like Overture. MSN "gets" it. Yahoo stands to lose billions over this in my opinion.

Without the earnings they deserve (based on the good things you've both noted), the decline of those services is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    If home depot clamped a vice on my nuts every time I walked in the store, I'd find another place to shop.

Ha HA! Donuts you are so eloquent, you should consider poetry as your next profession.

I agree with you on the Overture issue. It is not only overly complicated it is painfully slow. But in the end we, as consumers, may get something better out of Yahoo focusing on the products that they are competative in, like shopping and weather etc.

They have entirely too much crap on their homepage for me. I used to use them and I got so tired of all the B.S.

IronChef523:

They have entirely too much crap on their homepage for me
    The *only* thing I use Yahoo! for is their home page, as I've customized it with the news stories, RSS feeds, and colors I want. You can put on it *only* those things you wanna see. You don't *hafta* crap it up with everything.

I see Google's now offering the same thing, but I've never felt the urge to try it out, as I've had my Yahoo! news page laid out with all my favorite stuff seemingly forever, and simply haven't felt the need to stray.

Binky

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I can say they have no expertise in blending the commitment made by merchants into Yahoo Storefronts into their portal. They demand PPCSE, branding slotting fees, comparison shopping portal fees and paid SERP listings just to get a Yahoo store to show in general searches. The 3 stores I built there, since 1998, have their outside sites doing 90% of their online sales business at a fraction of the cost.

Meanwhile Microsoft LIVE is taking over a chunk from them too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

All I know is the Overture inteface was created by chimpanzees. Blind folded chimpanzees throwing feces every which way. I would probably find what I was looking for faster if I closed my eyes and started clicking randomly on the screen.

...and did I forget to add that they don't even have a help section???

There are some things I would love to know but its impossible to find out about them without emailing them directly!

ABW Ambassador

I like Yahoo! because it serves the most recent content.

It don't care about no back links.

The back links requirement by some other SEs are causing comment spam.

Hmm, I thought all of the popular SE's (G, Yahoo, MSN, etc) based their rankings on multiple items, including backlinks (some put more emphasis on it than the others, such as Google).

With Yahoo and MSN, just 1 back link to 1 page is enough, they will index the whole website.

But with Google, every single page that needs to get indexed needs a backlink.

Google is not totally this strict though, it does index a few more neighbor pages.

Initially Google indexes all pages and then spits out everything in a week and then just takes the ones that have back links.

This is why yahoo has more fresher/recent content because, it doesn't wait for pages to be back linked.

ABW Ambassador
    Indexed and ranking are two different things. You're still going to need some backlinks regardless of the SE.

Yeah true. Plus everyone wants to use Google anyway.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread