Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question why the setup fee for LS & CJ?
    Can anyone explain to me why the charge for this service to affiliates? Especially when it is very easy just to email a feed in almost any form to its affiliates that qualify?

Thanks.

15 years and counting
    Without these service fees, CJ & LS would be overloaded with too many requestsfrom newbies affiliates not knowing how to use datafeeds anyway.
    They charge $200 for the set up, it's nothing compare to the time spent by them to answer the specific requests.
    You can get the feeds for free if you're a real affiliate knowing how to make sales the traditional way.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    LinkShare does charge a one-time set up fee of $250 to cover set-up and ongoing maintenance for our Merchandiser Program. However, affiliates that have been active in the LinkShare network for at least three months and have generated at least 50 orders in the most recent calendar month will have the fee waived.

If you are interested in joining the Merchandiser Program you should complete the “Request to Participate” form, found on the Affiliate Resource Center under Merchandiser (http://www.linkshare.com/rc/merchandiser_aff.shtml).

For more information, on Merchandiser contact us at merchandiser-a@linkshare.com.

Ranae

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Is kalia gone?

I sent here an email to update my ip but havent heard back from her yet. She usually responds by the next business day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    You can get the feeds for free if you're a real affiliate knowing how to make sales the traditional way.
    How does one go about getting the feeds for free providing one knows "to make sales the traditional way"?

By making some sales. All you need is 50 sales in a month at LinkShare or $10,000 in sales (not commissions) at CJ. That's a pretty low threshold, really. If you can't generate that much in sales without datafeeds, you're probably not going to have much success with datafeeds either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    How does one go about getting the feeds for free providing one knows "to make sales the traditional way"?
    If you're showing steady sales you might want to have a little talk with a merchant . . .

I didn't start making money until I had access to the datafeeds..

I paid the $200 and I shouldn't have... it's a scam.. they should just provide those feeds to anyone who wants them.. THAT is what the merchants pay them to do.. get links to the affiliates through the networks own interface.. BUT the networks think that is just way to much work.. with the money some of these networks charge the merchant for the service it is the merchant who should be complaining about the fees at CJ/LinkShare..

My advice is to contact some of your merchants and ask for the feed - (Any merchant worth it's salt will be glad to send you a feed...) Get them for FREE..
    Don't make the same mistake I did.. the FEEDS you get from CJ are CRAP any way.. I do not even use them...

DO NOT PAY ANY FEES.. get them for FREE from your merchants - most merchant feeds are better than those found in CJ anyway... and you won't have to download an 6 gig file everytime you want one new feed..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    the FEEDS you get from CJ are CRAP any way..
    Most of my CJ feeds are fine-enough. It depends a lot on the merchant, and of course, how well you can cope with the "quirkies."

Personally I much prefer the multi-GB feed, over having to mess around with lots of individual files and formats.

As for paying for feeds? What Michael Coley said...no need for paying...

Yea But ----

"I didn't start making money until I had access to the datafeeds.."

It's hard to make money without the feeds.. unless you wanna just slap up some banners.. and that is not what Affiliate Marketing is all about...

Unless you want to spend a week or so making 1000 individual pages specific for 1000 products...

The easiest way to get the feeds for free is to ask the merchant...

And I do not cope with "quirks" very well.. a database should be well formatted and easy for anyone to use.. not the complicated jibberish CJ calls a datafeed...

Something else the merchants should be complaining about.. the CJ Feed Format is WAY TO "QUIRKIE"

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmgroup2
    Can anyone explain to me why the charge for this service to affiliates? Especially when it is very easy just to email a feed in almost any form to its affiliates that qualify?

Thanks.
    Just another way to rip you off.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Interesting discussion

@Michael Coley: At Linkshare in order to get a free datafeed, do the 50 sales need to be specific to one merchant or is it across all the merchants subscribed by the affiliate?

@AddHandler: Thank you for your honest evaluation of the datafeeds situation. It was interesting to learn about your personal experience.
    You brought up an important often it is almost impossible for an affiliate (i.e. a single webmaster working alone on this) to meet those quotas without the datafeed.

C'mon, CJ has got to be kidding -- don't get me wrong, I've made money with CJ, I think CJ runs a good program (as long as the ability to generate product creatives is working) -- but no way would I pay $200 for datafeed especially since I look upon that as paying a lot of money just to get advertisements -- there's another term for that: usury.

Website making is a hobby evolving into a business for me
    I think that might be true for many affiliates.

I started affiliating with Commission Junction in 1999 (my first website was online in 1997 all content, no advertsing) and at the same time signed with Linkshare

I believe in 2001 or 2002 CJ came out with a really obnoxious clause within a contract of adhesion sent out to publishers. I decided not to use them for a while

During that time I tried Performics (Catalog City--one source of early luck-- had started the musical chairs routine) and ClixGalore.

I would return again (i.e. to CJ) to follow a CEO of a business I had met who had outgrown a Yahoo Small Business program. So I came back

Now the CEO I have a good business relationship with has gone off on his own with Affiliate Traction and provides me an Excel database of his inventory for free.

I have not made 10 Grand with CJ yet -- I think that's what CJ thinks of the "little fellow."

I like to put a specific product on a specific webpage but that is consuming. Some people take time to paint pictures, I take time to set a scene within a webpage. I like doing that, it has always been a hobby and now the hobby gives back a little but not enough to merit $200 a month
    I wouldn't even do it for a set-up fee.

~Rhia7

http and a telephoto
    Rhia, for CJ it is $10,000 in SALES in a month, not commissions and no where is it $200 a month for feeds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Talking
    The 200.00 is a one time fee. From then on every month the feeds are free.

You just let then know what feeds you want and they will add them to or change your feed list free. They update your feeds once a week - so you can get different feeds every week if you want to.

You just e-mail support whenever you want your feeds to change and the following week they are ready for you.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

One of my merchants e-mailed the other day to announce that they were leaving CJ and going to SAS and would I care to join them when they got there. I wrote back and said I would and asked if they would mind giving me a clue as to their reasons for migrating rather than simply adding SAS as another string to their bow and they said:

"... it (our reason) was mainly philosophical but a little financial also. They wanted to charge us pretty high fees for access to any of their tools. The best example is data feeds - they wanted us to pay for the privilege of having our products on their product system, AND they wanted affiliates to pay to have access to the data feeds. Also, they were usually non-responsive to requests for help in improving our program, so we decided to switch."

Seems like we are not the only ones who find their desire to charge everyone as much as possible for as little as possible off-putting...

It does seem to me a little daft to charge an affiliate for the point-of-sale material you would like him/her to use in order to help you gain your share of commission generated by his/her sales...

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I didn't start making money until I had access to the datafeeds..
    For those who don't want to pay and can't meet the minimums for free datafeed access, several LinkShare and CJ merchants offer free datafeed access on the side. Pick a few of those and prove yourself there (50 sales on LinkShare, $10,000 in sales on CJ), and then you'll be able to get the network datafeeds for free.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    For those who don't want to pay and can't meet the minimums for free datafeed access, several LinkShare and CJ merchants offer free datafeed access on the side. Pick a few of those and prove yourself there (50 sales on LinkShare, $10,000 in sales on CJ), and then you'll be able to get the network datafeeds for free.
    doing it now . . .

why the setup fee for LS & CJ?

That's a good question!

While that question is a very important question, I think it would be getting a better response on the Midnight Cafe forum on somewhere else, other than on the LS forum. Why?

Well, because not everyone here read the LS forum for one reason or another.

But I agree with your question, it's a very valid question anyway, even if you had posted that question on the Daily Chuckle forum, to me it's still a valid and very important question, so thank you for asking about that BS fee.

Without these service fees, CJ & LS would be overloaded with too many requestsfrom newbies affiliates not knowing how to use datafeeds anyway.
    Pardon my reply Zeus, but that's the worse excuse that I have ever seen about why they need to charge for any feed.

If I take your reply at face value, would that mean that I am not making more money at ShareAsale because, SAS it's too overloaded with too many requests from the newbies affiliates at SAS, not knowing how to use datafeeds?

That's a BS excuse!

SAS is a goldmine for some affiliates and merchants, and SAS don't charge for any datafeed to the newbies affiliates, nor to any affiliate.

They charge $200 for the set up, it's nothing compare to the time spent by them to answer the specific requests.

I'm sorry but, that is the biggest BS I have read on a long time.

But, If I am willing to spend my time, my effort, and my money, in order to promote your products, WTF are you complaining about my questions or requests?

Please, define what's it's the "knowing how to make sales the traditional way", since I believe that the traditional way can go either way.

LinkShare does charge a one-time set up fee of $250 to cover set-up and ongoing maintenance for our Merchandiser Program. However, affiliates that have been active in the LinkShare network for at least three months and have generated at least 50 orders in the most recent calendar month will have the fee waived.

While I find that the "one-time set up fee of $250 to cover set-up and ongoing maintenance for our Merchandiser Program" is a rip off, I will admit that the "at least 50 orders in the most recent calendar month will have the fee waived" is not a bad deal.

That is Good Question!
    By making some sales. All you need is 50 sales in a month at LinkShare or $10,000 in sales (not commissions) at CJ. That's a pretty low threshold, really.
    Yes, "That's a pretty low threshold" for some of us, but for some of us, it's still a rip off by some networks, because the way I see it, they want to make some money from every affiliate that join that network, were they make a sale or not.
    DO NOT PAY ANY FEES.. get them for FREE from your merchants - most merchant feeds are better than those found in CJ anyway... and you won't have to download an 6 gig file everytime you want one new feed..
    Thanks AddHandler (aka 10-4) :-)

To me, anyone that pay even ½ ’ in order to try a new merchant feed to test that merchant, is either a newbie, a misled affiliate, or a real crook in disguise.
    "... it (our reason) was mainly philosophical but a little financial also. They wanted to charge us pretty high fees for access to any of their tools. The best example is data feeds - they wanted us to pay for the privilege of having our products on their product system, AND they wanted affiliates to pay to have access to the data feeds. Also, they were usually non-responsive to requests for help in improving our program, so we decided to switch."
    Thanks for posting that info linnetwoods, I think that the merchant that send you that email, is a real honest merchant, at least that merchant had the guts to said what he thought about those fees.
    To me it's not the question of paying or meeting the minimum quota, to me it's the principal of why should I pay in order to make you more money sooner than you deserve.

BTW, I am too old and too (guess what), for me to have to prove myself to any one.

I am not for sale, I am not for rent, I am free to try before you keep, but if I don't like your company, I will just say farewell, but if you keep on pushing, I will say, go to hell.

Sal.

Sal

I didn't see you discussing my reason for going along with the CJ setup fee and paying CJ $200 (which I made back in the first month) - it stops some competition - there is enough competition already so anything helps.

Charles

15 years and counting
    I don't believe in paying $200 to avoid some competition. No, the problem is not there, I'm sure CJ & LS would waive the fees immediately to bring us more competition. This service has a cost, either you cover it by your sales and by a fee.
    To me, anyone that pay even ½ ’ in order to try a new merchant feed to test that merchant, is either a newbie, a misled affiliate, or a real crook in disguise.
    Are you sure?
    So, you never spend money to make money?
    Everything has to be free for everybody! Is this business model really working?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    Sal

I didn't see you discussing my reason for going along with the CJ setup fee and paying CJ $200 (which I made back in the first month) - it stops some competition - there is enough competition already so anything helps.

Charles
    Competition will never go away.... Just gotta do things better to stay ahead...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I didn't see you discussing my reason for going along with the CJ setup fee and paying CJ $200
    The only reason that you didn't see me there was because I understand that some time, some men's are willing to pay for sex, and while I will never pay for that directly, (yes, I know what some say, a wife can be more expensive.) I understand those that are willing to pay to get it faster.

I don't believe in paying $200 to avoid some competition. No, the problem is not there, I'm sure CJ & LS would waive the fees immediately to bring us more competition. This service has a cost, either you cover it by your sales and by a fee.

Are you sure?
    So, you never spend money to make money?
    Everything has to be free for everybody! Is this business model really working?
    First, I don't mind the competition, if there was no competition, then I am not doing my job right.

----------
    To answer the question of if I am sure on the quote you quoted, my answer is yes, I am sure.

Why should I pay even ½ ’ in order to try a new merchant datafeed to test a merchant, while I can test 100's of other merchants datafeed for free?

I have spend money to make more money when I like the odds, but I will try to never spend my money on something that I don't trust that much, even if the odds look better than the lottery.

While some people like to spend $10,000.00 on a Rolex, I am happy with my $100.00 Seiko, because at any time of the day, even those with the $10.00 Casio, we all have the same time in our hands, it's what we do with our time and our money, what really counts at the end of the day.

Sal.

15 years and counting
    Mr Sal let me give you an other example.
    Why are these Affiliates Events, Summits, Symposiums, not free for everybody? They help the Merchants, Networks to make more money.
    They are quite expensive but you can still get in for free if your performance is recognized. Either you pay with your sales or you buy a ticket.
    Only 5% of the affiliates are making money. To offer free feeds to everybody would be a ressource drain to a network. If an affiliate makes some sales, they will gladly set up his account for free. Let me quote Michael:
    If you can't generate that much in sales without datafeeds, you're probably not going to have much success with datafeeds either.

I've moved this thread to the datafeed forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Lightbulb
    Mr Sal let me give you an other example.
    Why are these Affiliates Events, Summits, Symposiums, not free for everybody? They help the Merchants, Networks to make more money.
    They are quite expensive but you can still get in for free if your performance is recognized. Either you pay with your sales or you buy a ticket.
    Only 5% of the affiliates are making money. To offer free feeds to everybody would be a ressource drain to a network. If an affiliate makes some sales, they will gladly set up his account for free. Let me quote Michael:
    I think Michael's quote is just a little too general. There are affiliates out there who, if given a little consideration, could prosper with the use of datafeeds. But they must deal with individual merchants and prove themselves first. Otherwise we almost see a Catch-22.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast