Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    AvantLink Free Tools: Dynamic Product Showcase
    Hello Folks,

The Dynamic Product Showcase (DPS) tool allows you to create targeted product advertisements. You can use different options to filter down to a specific group of products or even a single product. This tool is very useful for creating targeted ads that compliment the existing content of your Website pages.

The DPS comes in two different versions. The easiest of the two options to work with is the JavaScript plug-in. It's as simple as configuring your showcase and clicking 'Get HTML'. However, we HIGHLY suggest using the RSS version of the tool. Using a simple RSS client script (we provide a sample script), you can output dynamic content that's SEO-friendly. This content helps drive traffic by increasing your search engine exposure. Conversely, the JavaScript only has the potential to 'compel' a user already surfing the site to buy something. There is a fundamental difference in these two traffic sources (the shopper shopping as compared to the web surfer browsing...but that's for another thread).

To get started using the Dynamic Product Showcase follow these steps:
    1. Login to your Affiliate account at www.AvantLink.com. Click 'Tools' from the main menu. Once in the tool center, under 'Dynamic Product Showcase' select the 'Create a new Dynamic Product Showcase' link.
    2. Begin configuration of your product showcase by following the steps. There are 'Help' notes at every stage.
    3. Once you select the merchant for the showcase you are configuring, you'll then be asked to Filter By Category in addition to other options like # of products to show, low price limit, high price limit, show product images, etc.

From this point you'll be able to 'Save' or 'Preview' your Dynamic Product Showcase. If you've chosen the RSS integration it will give you the URL to point your RSS client script at, and some CSS formatting code. If you are using the JavaScript version it will give the JavaScript and CSS code to paste into a page on your website.

Questions? Fire away

Gary M

Gary,

I am terribly disappointed with the link building tools you have. The DPSC tool is so basic that it is not practical. It is impossible to adapt it to practical use on any of my sites. Its limit to 10 items in a category is useless. One needs to be able to access all products in a category and have more than one column of products in a display. This tool is similar to the sniplet tool that BackCoutryStore uses but more limited in creating a presentable display. Do you have plans to upgrade it? The number and quality of banner links is also insufficient. How can we possibly present your merchants in a manner that will entice shoppers to click through to the merchants site? The custom link maker could be useful to make contextual links but not too useful with image links. Enough ranting. It appears that I will only be putting up banner links in the short term. Here's hoping that these tools will be brought up to better standards. BTW, not interested in the datafeed manager at this time. Although I may have to consider it later.

Gene
    TCS

Take another look..
    Hi Cool, Thanks for your post..

>> I am terribly disappointed with the link building tools you have.
    >> The DPSC tool is so basic that it is not practical. It is impossible
    >> to adapt it to practical use on any of my sites. Its limit to 10
    >> items in a category is useless.

As a 10-year Web publisher and 5 year Affiliate marketer I absolutely have to disagree with you. If I wasn't working for AvantLink I would be saying the same thing. The Dynamic Product Showcase tool is not intended to create sole content for a page, nor a vast display, it's intended to compliment existing relevant content. The tool works best on pages that already hold favorable SE placement, and/or loyalty traffic, for certain products or topics of interests. Plus, we have two versions of this tool one of which allows you to publish your links through RSS - this creates blocks of spiderable content, whereas the Javascript version does not. Of course it's dynamic. Build once, apply to the appropriate pre-existing content page, and forget about it.

>> One needs to be able to access all products in a category and
    >> have more than one column of products in a display.

This is not the purpose of the DPS tool. If you need all products in a category, this can be accomplished using the web service datafeed client. With the web service datafeed you have a number of configuration options, some of which are the ability to limit your publication by category, sub-category or product group.

>> The number and quality of banner links is also insufficient.

If you're talking about Tool King, they'll be adding more banners soon. The MyNursingUniforms program will also be adding more banners. All other merchants have plenty of banner options. Furthermore, the banners don't hold a chance at converting as good as our deep linking tools. It's our opinion that ad creative placed in front of the eyes of the user is not as powerful as product detail pages of datafeeds (or content pages using the DPS tool) that rank in the SEs for product searches. When someone is shopping, they're using the SEs more and more to compare and look at their options out there. This person is the 'shopper in shopping mode'. They know exactly what they want, and they're just looking for a place to buy that offers them the best value. Enter Affiliate's content/product detail page in the SERPs. We believe if that shopper in shopping mode ends up on your content/detail page, your conversion will be 8-10x greater.

>> How can we possibly present your merchants in a manner that
    >> will entice shoppers to click through to the merchants site?

Our tools are deep linking tools. We're not focused as much on shoppers who are just browsing/considering as much as the shopper who's ready and looking for something specific...namely by way of SEs, but also through loyalty sites. This relates to what I wrote above. Also, for those that run loyalty sites that don't rely on SE traffic, the tools are powerful because they're dynamic, keeping offers up-to-date. As you know, accurate pricing and inventory directly correlates to good conversion.

>> The custom link maker could be useful to make contextual
    >> links but not too useful with image links.

In my experience as AM for a large program, this was the single most requested tool... "How do I build deep links with my tracking ID appended?" I received 2-3 requests for this simple tool every week. It allows Affiliates to link anywhere they want and it's tracked. You're not limited in using the pre- defined destination URLs that come with most text/banner creative. Plus, our Custom Link Builder allows you to apply specific tracking IDs to your custom links so you can measure ROI down to the specific creative you built. Cool, text links are not the same as 'contextual links'.. we'll be rolling out contextual tools (Contextual Advertising Affiliate Links) in time (hint: an adaptive version of the DPS). And again, image links aren't our focus.

>> Here's hoping that these tools will be brought up to better
    >> standards.

We believe these already are some of the most innovative tools offered by any network and they're free to you! But, this doesn't mean we won't be constantly adding new tools and/or improving on the existing tools. We're already working on the next version of the datafeed web service (datafeed manager). Plus, we're available to support you with integration(s), although integrations are not too difficult. The tools are in fact advanced, innovative, and deep linking...and they are being used successfully already by dozens of Affiliates in the network.

Thank you for your feedback.

Take care, Gary M

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Your 10 yrs as web publisher and 5 yrs in affiliate marketing and my 14 yrs as a web publisher and 10 yrs in affiliate marketing does not necessarily qualify either of us as experts. Let us just agree to disagree. My first couple of years as an affiliate marketer were non-productive as I was trying to use content pages. Once I moved away from that approach, I began making money. I now make most of my money from what I consider quality product pages. Put the debate over content and non-content pages aside and it comes down to what works best for the individual affiliate. Your present approach seems to force the affiliate to do as you wish rather than give the affiliate leeway to market a merchants products in the manner that works best for the individual affiliate. My reference to the 10 product limit being useless is true in that only the first ten products in a category are displayed. Ten images and links of the same product in different sizes does nothing to expose the shopper to the variety of other products in the same category. Ten products to a page is ok but, let me choose which ten I will use if the merchant has say 50 products in the same category. I haven't tried the RSS approach.

Also, You and I seem to have different views on what is contextual and what is not. If I were to insert a text link or links into a page of content by utitlizing a keyword or phrase, that is contextual. So the only difference between a text link and a contextual link is how it is used.

That said, I will try to make the best of what you offer. Links are going up on several sites already.

Gene
    TCS

Gene,

Thanks for your reply, too.

We provide tools for just about any kind of link you want to create, so how are we trying to limit or tell you what to do?

I understand every Affiliate has different approaches to their performance.. was just clarifying why we're providing the tools, and what we've seen in regards to their benefits.

Thank you for working with AvantLink. Agreeing to disagree is fine

Give me a call if you would like to discuss this in further detail..

Thanks again for your reply,

Gary M

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, I only use a few products to display for a merchant to have something visual (though I could use more for exclusives), then a little sales pitch and a text link.

Gary, I could show you right on pages - when displaying products, there are generally two, side by side, with merchant links on photos (which get clicked on a lot) with text links underneath, displayed to fit into the main display area on pages underneath the general sales patch in the first paragraph and to the right of my left navigation.

Having an option for two columns (some folks might use 3) when generating link displays with photos would be a very handy option to have. Personally, I can't use them with one column unless I totally do a site redesign.

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and figure out how to start using feeds (which will take time, figuring out WebMerge), though it would be very handy to just crank out some product links quickly for the pages currently getting traffic.

Affiliate Network Rep
    webworker,

Thanks for the post!!

Check out the web service datafeed client.. you won't have to use webmerge...although you will not have the ability to add products with this tool in your existing pages. Click 'Tools' in the interface menu and than under Datafeed Manager click 'Sign-up for new datafeeds' ..once in filter by merchant, and than by the site your configuring for, and than for configuration option select 'Datafeed Client'.

You can show products in list or grid format and limit right down to category, sub-cat or product group. The grid format gives you side by side display options..

I do appreciate your feedback on the DPS layout options, however.. as the Datafeed client creates a stand-alone section of your site.. ie, you will not be able to feed products into existing site formats.. we'll see what we can do about offering a config for side-by-side displays..

Email me if you have any questions..

Content Page about Dynamic Product Showcase
    Hi All,

I wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that we've published content pages that feature each of our integrated tools. The Dynamic Product Showcase page is available here:

http://www.avantlink.com/tools/dynam...t_showcase.php

Gary M

New Name For DPS Tool
    Hello Everyone,

Updating this thread to advise that the DPS has a new name! Check out the Product Display Builder thread for more info.

I am going to see if a mod will close this thread..

Gary M

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread