Am I in over my head?
    oomguarpages? What the... is that? I decided to try and delve deeper into server admin stuff today and installed a monitoring script to watch my server loads and saw my oomguarpages was like3 times its limit. So I restarted my server and it calmed down...searched for its meaning got sick of wading through stuff...still don't know what it is.

Then for some reason...who knows why--some not all but some of my jump scripts stop working properly...the same script on most sites...some work some don't -- same environment for every instance....went back to direct links for now.

Then some how one of my sites failed becuase somehow...don't know how...someone injected a line into my htaccess, even though there is no write permissions on it..reedited it whittled the permissions down to 400 er sumthin then slapped somekind of spider trap on the site...but I know what ever attack wasn't from a malicious spider...

Anyway I still have no clue whats going on, I think I put out most fires and I'm DONE for today...

Thanks All

added: to just to end on an upbeat I made 'bout $150 today(which is good for me)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Maybe some cyber version of Robin Hood has hacked into your .htaccess to help you make more money?!

Maybe some cyber version of Robin Hood has hacked into your .htaccess to help you make more money?! [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I like that idea...thats what I'll adopt as an explaination for all my technological craziness today! Cyber Robin Hood paid me a visit!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Straight from the VPS power panel help, oomguarpages is:

"The out-of-memory guarantee, in pages. Any VPS process will not be killed even in case of heavy memory shortage if the current memory consumption (including both physical memory and swap) does not reach the oomguarpages barrier"

I am assuming you are on a VPS, as oomguarpages is only relevant in a VPS environment.

For example, if you have a 256MB VPS, your oomguarpages setting will be 65,536 (it is measured in 4K pages)

What this means is that as long as your VPS memory usage is less than this amount, then it is guaranteed that the operating system will not kill any of your processes if the server as a whole totally exhausts its memory.

However, go above this limit and you run the risk of some of your processes being killed should the server go into an OOM (out of memory) state.

If you are regularly going above your limit, you should try to find out what is causing it!

Hope this helps!

Shame...
    Quote Originally Posted by RWorld
    Straight from the VPS power panel help, oomguarpages is:

"The out-of-memory guarantee, in pages. Any VPS process will not be killed even in case of heavy memory shortage if the current memory consumption (including both physical memory and swap) does not reach the oomguarpages barrier"

I am assuming you are on a VPS, as oomguarpages is only relevant in a VPS environment.

For example, if you have a 256MB VPS, your oomguarpages setting will be 65,536 (it is measured in 4K pages)

What this means is that as long as your VPS memory usage is less than this amount, then it is guaranteed that the operating system will not kill any of your processes if the server as a whole totally exhausts its memory.

However, go above this limit and you run the risk of some of your processes being killed should the server go into an OOM (out of memory) state.

If you are regularly going above your limit, you should try to find out what is causing it!

Hope this helps!
    ...I am forced to concede that this explanation, whilst nothing like as much fun as mine, wins hands down over it. I bow to your superior technocracy. Eat your heart out Robin Hood...

But some of us still WANT to believe it was Robin Hood...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thank You RWorld!!!

I did a google search and didn't find anything usefull there, and was a bit overwhelmed by other things. Yes I am on a VPS and I did a restart to temporarily deal with it with the hopes of figuring out what is using up resources later when the fog cleared...

I'll have to find the VPS Power panel help page.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    But some of us still WANT to believe it was Robin Hood...
    Hell, I KNOW it was Robin Hood but I have learned that geeks love to think that technical explanations are the answer to technical problems and it costs nothing to let them believe that, if they want to...

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread