Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Washington State Files First Suit Under Their New Spyware Law
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8FBO7E0A.html

The suit is actually for spyware and spam. I know I've gotten those pop ups while I'm testing. The fake M$ ones. The defendents live in NY. Spitzer should take a look around his own back door.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The domain (in your link) for this story = irony.

:-)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Reality is starting to set in at ABW. Thinking we should be politically correct in dealing with affiliates by banning the OUTING of the bad actors, who often are members here. is pandering to the greed driven cybercriminals gaming the system. I hate to even investigate the smaller Adwhore networks and the non-transparent CPA aggregrators who actively recruit and monitize blackhat affiliates of all flavors. You can bet these e-mail spammers and BHO infestation criminals are deeply rooted in various networks with their falsefront operations. It's time to side with the consumers victimized by the Adwhore mindset of the Ad industry.

Interesting that I was on the trail of the phoney Anti-Spyware/Adware detect removal tools and those using AIM type backdoor security infestation exploits to enhance the reach of the contextual BHO perps. Some of the prominent names advising the new www.stopbadware.com have already outed the phoney Anti-???? vendors named in this law suit.

Top 10 rogue anti-spyware Posted by Suzi Turner http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=727

What is rogue anti-spyware? Rogue anti-spyware programs are defined by spyware and anti-spyware expert Eric Howes on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products and Sites page.

"Rogue/Suspect" means that these products are of unknown, questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection. Some of the products listed on this page simply do not provide proven, reliable anti-spyware protection or may be prone to ridiculous false positives. Others may use unfair, deceptive, high pressure sales tactics to scare up sales from gullible, confused users. A very few of these products are either associated with known distributors of spyware/adware or have been known to install spyware/adware themselves.

A bit of history about the Rogue Anti-Spyware page, if you will. I had been loosely tracking complaints on the web about anti-spyware apps for some time when the first "super rogue" was unleashed just over 2 years ago. In late November 2003, complaints about a program called Spy Wiper started popping up by the dozens in forums and blogs all over the net. I had an entire blog category devoted to Spy Wiper and its successor Spy Deleter. Eventually the Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT) filed a complaint about the two, and later the FTC took action and that operation was shut down.
    --------------------

New spyware trick - fake keylogger scare tactics by rogue anti-spyware Posted by Suzi Turner @ 2:43 pm
    I don't know if these rogue anti-spyware/spyware pushers are getting desperate, or they think no one will notice, but super rogue Razespyware, which earned a place on the top 10 rogue anti-spyware of 2005, has a new very dirty and very deceptive trick to frighten users into paying for the software. I read where someone called these apps ransomware, which is quite appropriate given their behavior. SunbeltBLOG has posted screenshots and an explanation of this trick, along with some information about who might be behind it. Researcher Adam Thomas wrote:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=754

Sunbelt's OUTING ... http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2006...keylogger.html

Networks supporting and monitizing these criminal clowns need to be shut down by the Government as just fence operations for the cybercriminal commission thieves.

Reading the SunBelt's blogs should be required reading for AMs who think S/W affiliuates can co-exist with other types of legit affiliates...
    http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2006...-download.html
    ...."Clicking on these links results in an attempted WMF exploit to infect you with spyware.The lengths these slimeballs will go to to infest a machine just boggle the mind."
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Mike, GREAT follow up post - especially the rogue anti-spyware stuff. The FTC can't complain that these are hard to find... there's top ten lists and experts like Eric H. are serving it all up on a platter for them. Why they take so long to act is a question I continue to ask my congressional reps.

Isnt 1800 in washington that should of been the first place to start
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Isnt 1800 in washington that should of been the first place to start

They sure are. Their office is right across the lake. If I am strategically stationed I can throw spitwads at their employee's cars.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread