Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Google-Dot-Commie
    I would just like to rant:

I'm curious as to why Google even have a "Don't be evil" policy? I originally endorse Google efforts in making the U.S. govt. be very specific in what information they want Google top filter to them, because an unchecked government can be abusive especially when dealing in areas unfamiliar to them. Now, while I still believe in this philosophy, I will admit I was wrong about believing in GOOGLE's standoffishess had something to do with protecting it's search users. Google just proved to me in the China deal that if they had to choose between removing layers of privacy and compromising search results or being unavailable to millions of people (the Chinese)? the 1st choice is apparently the right one for them.

"Chinese who use Google to search on terms like "falun gong" or "human rights in china" receive a standard-looking results page. But when they click on any of the results, either their browsers are redirected to a blank or government-approved page, or their computers are blocked from accessing Google for an hour or two." - source Google-Watch

I think Google modified it's Don't be evil" somewhere around them going public to say
    "Don't be evil,unless it will prevent us from making more profits for our Share-holders."

>>>>>>>>>>>
    Memo from Brin: Please use white font for the 14th character on, in our Company "Don't be evil" policy statement.

For those who don't get this joke the 13th character is the "l" in "evil"
    >>>>>>>>>>>>

ABW Ambassador
    As much as I think that sucks, it's also a reason why I don't live in China. Laws have to be followed there as much as they have to be followed here. If their govt. were set up the same as ours, it would be a bigger deal, wouldn't it? Is this another example of Americans thinking the world has to follow our lead or else they're wrong?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    As much as I think that sucks, it's also a reason why I don't live in China. Laws have to be followed there as much as they have to be followed here. If their govt. were set up the same as ours, it would be a bigger deal, wouldn't it? Is this another example of Americans thinking the world has to follow our lead or else they're wrong?
    Celicaphile, I agree with you to a certain extent. I believe if we do business with another country we must respect their rules. But, what happen to ethics in business, especially for a company (Google) who preaches it and stands behind it when it serves their purpose. I refuse to believe that American businesses should compromise itself for a buck (I'm not naive I know it happens).
    But, hey we're in a new world right, Lets open trading with North Korea, sure they have different views than we do. I'm sure we can offer some products and services to them and help build their economy up if the price is right we'll bend to and support any rules they impose on their people.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Although I disagree with Google's stance, every industrialized country in the world is currently propping up China's political structure by importing billions upon billions of goods.

It's not fair to just criticize Google, you either have to accept their restrictions and assume that China will reform itself naturally, or you have to criticize every company in the world that relies on China's production of their products.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    You can't compare China to America. In the past China blocked Google. You work with what you got.

elbowcreek, That is my main point. I use to agree with Google stance whole-heartedly, but now I don't and I was explaining why. I drank the "Kool-aid" when I put a company like Google on a pedestal above the other Doing-business-as-usual companies. I was like "that's pretty cool that Google could dominate business and had specific policies that they stuck to with-out compromise." But of course, I believed in Santa until I was in 4th grade and I guess I'm ranting because it was just proven that I had a blind belief in company that was proven to be just like the others.

ABW Ambassador
    What choice does Google have? You have to follow the laws/what the government says of whatever country you operate in.

I'll admit that I am still young and my views on the world aren't set in stone. I'm a open-minded student and saavy in my pursuits (that's why I'm an ABW member). I just came across a company who I thought was Superman and found out that their really one of us. I should've know better.

Now as far as operating in another country, You do have a choice to operate in that market.I understand that once you jump in, you have no choice and must abide by their rules and regulations or get out and lose market share to your competitors - that global business 101.

ABW Ambassador
    "You do have a choice to operate in that market."

Yeah, I think they want to keep their foot in. Pulling out, that's what the Chinese government would love Google to do. Somebody over there is liking Google, the people. Personally I like keeping the lines of communication open or a capitalistic foot in the communist door. Give em a taste, then maybe they want some more in the future. Whole world is going over to China in 2008 for the next Olympics.

ABW Ambassador
    The Internet is global & Google is obviously one of the largest, if not the largest, player in Internet business. So, it's only reasonable to expect Google to act globally & not ignore a population the size of China's.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    Look at it this way, the chinese people are not all children. While some search terms are nerfed, they can see this. They can also figure how to use google to get around the block, to search for what they want to read, without searching for it directly. Search filters like this can always be defeated. So having google (or other search engines available) is a good thing. It is sneaking in information, and that is good. So far every closed society has been turned by giving more information, not by taking any away.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    exactly.

Hurry up & start buying variations of "falun gong" people!
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Chetf - "Search filters like this can always be defeated. So having google (or other search engines available) is a good thing. It is sneaking in information, and that is good. So far every closed society has been turned by giving more information, not by taking any away."

NOT if the Chinese Government Control The Network in China.. No Searches get through unless they leave the country and do a search on Google.com

Google.com is BLOCKED in China.. and so is any other .com with Freedom of speach in mind.. You cannot just do a SEARCH in China without going through the GOVERNMENT'S OWN FILTERS....

Google moving into to CHINA and censoring themselves.. does nothing but further the Chinese Governments Ability to CONTROL What people See and THINK...

It's wrong and Google is only Censoring themselves to get a chunk of the Chinese Market share.. They are - in a way.. agreeing that what the Chinese Government is doing is OK with them.. as long as Google gets PAID..

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Running through the babelfish AddHandler->English

"I hate google because they don't put my pages on top of the results, WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH"

I wonder what lurker jones thinks of the situation...

Chet

Chetf - "Running through the babelfish AddHandler->English

"I hate google because they don't put my pages on top of the results, WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH"

Are we in Third Grade Chetf..?

I said nothing about Google listing my pages...
    I just said that what YOU SAID WAS WRONG.. Period..
    Sorry - that you have nothing intelligent to respond with

The Chinese Government FILTER the entire NETWORK in CHINA.. That is why GOOGLE couldn't just GO THERE.. (they had to get permission AND - Agree to censor themselves according to the Chinese Laws) That is HOW the Chinese Government Keeps their people in such an oppressive state... That is why there will be no "WAY AROUND" the censorship in CHINA... Yes Google may let the people KNOW that what they are seeing in the SERP has been censored.. but that is all.. AND Furthermore BIG DEAL - the people already know they are censored... There will be no SNEAKING IN INFORMATION through the Chinese Government Filters...

It just proves that Google will do anything for a BUCK...
    Greed is driving the GoogleMonster into China - Not Standing Up For What Is RIGHT... Who cares if Yahoo and others are already over there.. let them have Communist China.. I wouldn't be going there with my business under those terms for all the money in the world..

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing...
    They are doing more than NOTHING - they are basically saying it is OK that CHINA Censors everything that the people want/should see... as long as Google gets a chunk of the money...

Googles slogin "Don't Do Evil" should be re-written to read
    "Don't Do Evil - Just Support It and Profit From It As Much As Possible"

ABW Ambassador
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing..."

You got to be kidding me.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, I was right... it's just another example of Americans thinking that it's their way or everyone else is wrong... Guess what, you go to another country, you abide by their laws. Period. And people wonder why so much of the world hates us....
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Animal Lover
    They'd have to contend with Bai Du which I think is the current local SE in China. Frankly it looks very similar to the big G.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

ABW Ambassador

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Well, first of, I gotta say. You cannot get Human Rights by searching it on Google.

From what I understand, Google is not filtering their results at all, but the networks connected with end user's system is detecting and redirecting the pages. So Google is hardly doing anything wrong.

Even, if Google has to comply with Chinese laws, as long as it does not constitute a crime in internatinal laws, I don't see anything wrong with it. You cannot disobey the laws of America if you want to do business here, even if you do not agree with them. It's true with every other country in the world.

Google is a business and it is acting like one. If Chinese people want to learn more about human rights and democracy or what have you, they probably have much better means than Google to do that.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I've sent this thread link to my cousin who lives and works in China. Hopefully, he'll have some insightful input. If he doesn't post here, I've asked him to email me his input.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It might not be strategic for him to email that through China's ISPs, either...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Businesses do Business.
    Sami makes some good points and the most noteworthy thing (at least for me) is to be reminded:

You cannot disobey the laws of America if you want to do business here, even if you do not agree with them.
    I have had my fair share of Google criticism, but.........

Sami makes good points.

Smehow, I do not see this as evil. If Google were taking away freedoms they already have, that would be evil. But, what is the complaint here, that Goggle is not somehow forcing the Chinese government to right a wrong? Well, I don't think even Google can do that.

All Google is doing is providing the means to search among pages they can now look at. I do not see anything evil about that at all.

I thinks the government that limits knowledge and information to the citizenry is evil, but Google did not create that problem nor are they implying support of those laws, nor are they able to change those laws. All they are doing is providing search technology. If they don't another company will, so nothing at all good would come of their refusal other than display of their disapproval. Well, that sure wouldn't change anything. Do you think they will repeal those laws if Google declines to provide service? I don't. Where is the evil?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast