Search Engine Optimization with Webmerge
    I have a site with multiple categories, and under each category exists multiple products. I am breaking these product pages down into groups of 10 by serializing my page names and having a new index page created whenever a multiple of 10 is reached.

Would I would like to do is give each group of 10 products (i.e. each page) a different title in the title tag. I thought this might work:

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber = 10]
    <title>First Page Title Here</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber = 21]
    <title>Second Page Title Here</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber = 31]
    <title>Third Page Title Here</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber > 32]
    <title>All Other Page Titles Will Be Called This</title>
    [/WM-If]

But it does not work... Can anybody make a recommendation on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Thank you.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    http://www.sitesandsounds.com
    Last edited by mintchap; January 26th, 2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

Affiliate Manager
    The logic governing when new index pages are created is handled in the Index Pages tab of the program, and any tags within the template only affect a given index page generated according to the settings in the program.

It sounds like what you need is what I'm working on for v2.5: a new set of settings on the Index Pages tab which will let you create new index pages when a field changes andx also limit the number of items on each page.

While I don't have a specific date for the availability of that version, I can say I'm working on that as quickly as I can. The user interface part of it is done, and I'm working on the underlying code as we speak....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Titles
    Ok. I think I understand that. I'm not entirely sure yet how each group of products (each index page) would acquire a different title, but I'll wait for your next version and read your instructions.

My example above of course was simplistic. What I really want to do is incorporate fields from the datafeed into the title tags (and other areas of the html template) something like this:

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber < 10]
    <title>[WM-FIELD: TeamName] football clothing attire</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber = 11]
    <title>[WM-FIELD: TeamName] sportswear</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber = 21]
    <title>[WM-FIELD: TeamName] sports attire</title>
    [/WM-If]

[WM-If: IndexRecordNumber > 31]
    <title>[WM-FIELD: TeamName] sports attire</title>
    [/WM-If]

Thank you.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    Last edited by mintchap; January 26th, 2006 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo

Affiliate Manager
    If you don't need to limit the number of records on a page, then you may be able to get what you need using CurrentRecordNumber, which gives the current number of the record within the data set as a whole, as opposed to IndexRecordNumber which gives the number of the record within the current page (so it's always reset to 1 at the start of each new index page).
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Records
    If I don't limit the # of records on a page, then wouldn't I only have one page per category? If I only have one page containing all records for the category, then I can only have one page title covering the entire category.

What I'm wanting to do is, if I have 100 products for example, I want to create 10 index pages all containing 10 products on each page. And I want to be able to assign all 10 of those pages different title tags by using fields from my feed (like the example above, where I'm using one field from the datafeed as a title followed by different keywords).

I also want to do the same thing on other areas of my template, such as the <h1> tag, etc.

This would allow for many optimization opportunities, as one template would come out optimized numerous different ways. How phenominal would that be??

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds

Talking
    You can do something like this. The page title, key words, and description will be different on each index page. They will be the same as what the very first item listed on the page is.

Just put whatever fields you want in the tags in the example.

<title>[WM-Field: ProductName noLink raw]</title>

<meta name="keywords" content="[WM-Field: Keywords noLink raw]">

<meta name="description" content="[WM-Field: Description noLink raw]">

Where you want your header just put in your template:

[WM-Field: ProductName noLink raw] or whatever tag you want and that will be the same as the first item on the page also.

Is this what you're wanting to do ??

The above will make each index page have different information for the SE.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Hi,
    Just wanted to say "thank you" to Burger Boy for an idea in one of your postings about the tag usage with the "Nolink raw" may be what I need in my template to correct some errors that I have been getting.
    I also wanted to say, "Richard, take as much time as you need to complete v. 2.5 of WM" as an old time programmer I know most good work needs double checking and plenty of time to be completed."
    You 've got my support. We all look forward to it's completion. So, do me a small favor guys, give him space. Thanks.

Optimization
    BurgerBoy,

Actually, no, that isn't what I want to do. (Although I appreciate your recommendation very much).

I always optimize one complete .html page for one keyword phrase only. So what I was wanting to do was to optimize all index pages within a category for multiple keyword phrases.

I actually did find a way to do it with Webmerge, although my desired example I posted above would be much simpler than what I had do to. What I ended up doing is creating 5 different html template files and then referencing all 5 of them in my datafeed. I'm dividing my category (index) pages into groups of 10, thus I set every 11th record to use a different html template (which has entirely different optimization from the previous index page).

This worked beautifully. I just uploaded a 24,000 page website made with Webmerge with my groupings of category pages (index pages) optimized in 5 completely separate ways (every single category is now optimized 5 separate ways, so imagine how much better the site will perform in the search engines). This will likely drive somewhere around 5 times more traffic to the site than if I wasn't able to do this.

As I said, this could be much more automated, but at least having the ability to use different html templates based on a field in my feed allowed me to achieve my goal. I'm hoping the next version of Webmerge will allow for the same thing right inside of 1 html template by using new IF tags.

Thanks again for your response.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds

minchap,

anyway you would be willing to describe in detail how you optimized all of your pages 5 ways? Are you saying you had 5 different pages of the same thing just output slightly different to get in the SEngines more? What a great idea. Please explain!

I love it, now things are getting interesting.

And now we see some of the things folks can do to make their pages different (putting more value in) than everybody else. And some say, all the pages from WebMerge are the same.

Fred

Optimize
    Sure I'd be willing.

Let's say I have a website with 10 categories, and under each of these categories there are 100 products (1,000 products total). I want to break down my pages into groups of 10, so I run an index merge that serializes the pages and starts a new index page at every 11th record. That's all simple enough right form the Webmerge interface.

The problem I ran into is I wanted to put different optimization on each group of index pages. So for example, if the record count was less than 10 I wanted to use one title tag, if it was equal to 11 I wanted to use another title tag, if it was equal to 21 I wanted to use another title tag, and so forth and so on. I wanted this same methodology to apply to all kinds of items in my html template, such as h1 tags, h2 tags, ALT tags, etc. Webmerge doesn't allow these types of IF statements directly in the template currently.

So... What I did was just create 5 completely separate HTML templates, each one optimized exactly how I wanted it. Of course in each template I also pulled data from the feed with WM-FIELD tags. Let's pretend for a second one of my categories was baby blankets. I certainly don't want to ONLY optimize for the term baby blankets (too general and limiting). But I do want to pull the word "baby blankets" into my optimized pages from my feed.

So what I did was just set up 5 different html pages, each optimized for a variation of baby blankets. So for example, in my 5 templates I would make title tags of soft baby blanket, down baby blanket, inexpensive baby blanket, baby blanket on sale, etc. "Baby blanket" itself would be pulled from the feed into each template with a WM-FIELD tag. The rest of the data after the variable is hard coded.

Finally, in my feed itself I created a new column that references what html template to use. Of course from Webmerge you can click the radio button that tells Webmerge to get the template name from a column in your feed.

For the first 10 baby blankets (if this is what I was really doing) I'd paste in the path to my template1.html template. For products 11-20 I'd paste in the path to my template2.html file. For products 21-30 I'd paste in the path to my template3.html file. And so forth and so on.

The net result is I get 5 pages, each with 10 baby blankets, optimized 5 completely different ways. Thus when people search for down baby blanket, cotton baby blanket, cheap baby blanket, soft baby blanket -- whatever -- I have a page perfectly optimized for that term.

The beauty of doing this of course goes far beyond one cateogory. I have a feed with hundreds of categories. The same optimization once you set it up applies to the entire feed at the press of a button. When you use WM-FIELD variables in your templates, of course you'll be getting different words every time based on what the category is. So multiply the # of categories by the # of templates you're using and look at how many uniquely optimized pages come out of the same merge process. It's really somewhat of a no brainer. The ability to use different html templates referenced in the feed worked great.

The only thing I wanted to do differently is just set it up in only 1 template. IE if record = 1 use this title tag. If record = 11 use this title tag. If record = 21 use this title tag. Etc. I would also apply this type of logic to other key elements of the html templte, such as headline tags, ALT tags, and body content. All of this could potentially be set up in one template without having to add anything new to the feed.

The advantages of this would be:

1) You wouldn't have to spend time customizing the feed in the first place
    2) You wouldn't have to spend more time customing the feed (i.e. adding all the template references) each time a new feed is released

Hope all that makes sense.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    Last edited by mintchap; January 28th, 2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo

wow, I see i have a lot to learn using webmerge! that's a great post... My webmerge skills aren't that good yet but that sure helps to see what can be done. i hope to try and do the same thing now on one of my sites!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread