Navigation within index pages
    I am creating serialized index pages in groupings of 10. I can use the:

[WM-LinkIndexPrevious]
    and
    [WM-LinkIndexNext]

tags to nagivate between the pages, but how do I insert a link that goes to the first page of the category? I can insert a link that goes to the first page of the first category, but how do I insert a link that goes to the first page of the current category?

Thanks.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    http://www.sitesandsounds.com

Talking
    I just link the pages manually after webmerge builds the pages. That way if a customer remembers that something that they want is on - say - page 6 they can just click on and go to page 6 without having to go through 6 pages to get to page six.

More Whatever >> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.

Put on bottom of each page and they can go to any page from any page.

Whatever page they are on do not have the number for that page as a link. That way they always know where they are.

What would you rather do - Click next index page 5 time to get to the page you want - on just click on the number 6 and you are there with one click - if you were the customer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

#'ing
    That's precisely what I want to do. The problem is my site is 24,000 pages. Doing it manually would take forever. And a day. It would be great if Webmerge could set up the same thing automatically.

Always lookin' for a more perfect world.

Brad Switzer
    Sites & Sounds
    http://www.sitesandsounds.com

Talking
    Put the navigation in an iframe on each page.

That way you will just have to change the navigation on the iframe and it will change on all of the pages when you change the iframe page.

Another thing you can do is only build one caregory at a time and then you only have just a few index pages to link within a category at a time.

<iframe border=0 framespacing=0 height=0 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.yoursite .your navigation page.html"></iframe>

Just change the 0s to whatever size you want the iframe and put the script where you want it to appear in your html and you have navigation.

Put it in a table the same size as the iframe to section off your template page.

If you want it to scroll change the no to yes.

I know it would be nice if webmerge would do this for you but this is a suggestion for a fix until it will.

I build a category at a time by sorting the feed by category in excel.

Then I copy and paste the category onto another excel spread sheet and build that category.

Just keeping doing that with each category.

I'm sure there are probably other ways to do this but that's what comes to mind for me until someone else tells me of a better way.

You could have a different iframe page for each category I suppose. Just change the iframe page in the template before you run each category and you will only have navigation for that one category if that's what you are trying to do.

Takes a little more work but your customers sure like it and it is still a whole lot faster than building pages by hand.

I know we'll hear use php templates, asp templates and etc., but until we learn to use them I think that this will work.

I haven't tried it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Great post, BurgerBoy.

I have a similar problem to mintchap where I have 27 groups of pages (0-9 and A through to Z) each subdivided into 50 items a page making anywhere from 1 to 26 indexes per character. I've thus far managed a clumsy navigation system using WebMerge such as this

First < > Last

Where First takes you to the first page in the category, < and > to the previous and next and Last to the last. With as many as 26 pages, that's not exactly user-friendly.

Until this is resolved in (hopefully!) v2.5, your fix should work just great!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread