ABW Ambassador
    A friend asked if I knew anything about mother board and CPU's. :confused:

Can anyone help with these questions?

I want a dual processor board and it has been suggested that I have a Gigabyte VXD7 board with 2 intel PIII 1ghz processors on board.

I saw recently some details on Tyan boards, they do a board which takes 2 PIV xeon chips.

Are Tyan ok?

What is the difference between an ordinary PIV chip and a xeon?

Lastly which would you opt for, a board with PIII chips or one with PIV's?

Thanks in advance

Toronto, Canada
    If you ask me, I prefer Gigabyte, Abit, and Asus motherboards over anything else. Tyan... never heard of them. Probably some cheap crap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is the difference between an ordinary PIV chip and a xeon?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There is a big defference. The Xeon is a top performance series processor. Something like Celleron and Coppermine. The Celleron is mostly used for games, and the Coppermine is used for serious work. You can see the difference between the two when you run a program that needs a lot of mathematical processing power like for example Adobe Photoshop. Although PIV is NOT like the Celleron cause Celleron was made to be cheap, but not PIV.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lastly which would you opt for, a board with PIII chips or one with PIV's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wouldn't rush with the PIV boards as there are going to be more coming out soon(better ones).

Now, I am not saying that I'm an expert in hardware, but i've been around with my friends who sell hardware and I have learned a lot. See what others have to say. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread