Network Exclusivity / Non-Compete
    I saw a post in Shawn Collins' blog mentioning that someone else claims that some affiliate networks are demanding "non-compete" or "exclusivity" in their contracts. In other words, if you sign up with them, you can't promote for a competitor.

http://www.affiliatetip.com/blog/arc...overlords.html

Does anyone know which networks (if any) may impose this requirement in their agreements? As mentioned in the blog, some merchants demand this when offering higher-than-normal commissions, but I'm not aware of any affiliate network with exclusivity or non-compete clauses -- and I'd like to know if such terms are buried in the fine print or in a "revision" of which I'm not aware.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No real affiliate network has a non-compete clause. This applies to (Crooks Playing Advertisers) CPA aggregrators of shady affiliates not wanting their well paid sheisters jumping to competitors like day traders. After all....Raping and pillaging the lead merchants has it's limits.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I heard this, too, but I don't know of any networks that have exclusivity clauses for affiliates. As an affiliate, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would be glad to work exclusively ... with those networks who don't have exclusivity clauses!

I'm wondering if the CPAEmpire.com people misspoke and were talking about networks that require merchants to be exclusive. LinkShare is the only one I know of that does that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm wondering if the CPAEmpire.com people misspoke and were talking about networks that require merchants to be exclusive. LinkShare is the only one I know of that does that.
    I've spoken to a few CJ merchants who are in exclusive contracts as well. I know we ask for it occasionally on MaxBounty (from merchants, not affiliates), but never demand it. We'll give merchants some perks and benefits for exclusivity, but it's never required.

I've never heard of a network demanding exclusivity from affiliates.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Lock in those Quality Partners!
    Right, Perks for exclusivity will catch the attention of top Affiliates out there as well.. even if it's just paying for domain/hosting for a year... unless you offer an Affiliate some defined benefit (we'll pay for the site but you can only use this particular merchant while we are funding it) they won't even consider exclusivity..

I do think you'll see both networks and merchants ironing out very creative exclusivity offers in 2006 and beyond.....

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds more like someone trying to get some publicity by fighting a strawman.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread