Goldencan
    I was looking over the Golden Can program and was wondering if any of you members could forward any comments on their program . Pros and Cons.
    Thanks

Well, it's easy to use. A lot of members here have commented that they certainly don't like giving the 4th click away all the time, and will stick with merchants that have paid to eliminate that...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I run a bunch of programs for ShareASale, but just launched one (BentGear) up on GoldenCan...if you haven't played with it yet, it's an awesome piece of code. You can merchandise a page in just a few minutes, however you would need to add your own content in order to make it spider friendly.

We set up our GoldenCan program as free for the affiliate because that's what makes the most sense from the merchant point-of-view. Both parties played some role in driving the transaction, so both parties should get credited. And yes, the affiliate still gets their full commission.

Definitely worth playing around with!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    I run a bunch of programs for ShareASale, but just launched one (BentGear) up on GoldenCan...if you haven't played with it yet, it's an awesome piece of code. You can merchandise a page in just a few minutes, however you would need to add your own content in order to make it spider friendly.

We set up our GoldenCan program as free for the affiliate because that's what makes the most sense from the merchant point-of-view. Both parties played some role in driving the transaction, so both parties should get credited. And yes, the affiliate still gets their full commission.

Definitely worth playing around with!
    Carolyn, how many merchants does your free GoldenCan program include?
    Are the included merchants only from SAS or are merchants from CJ, LS & others included as well?

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Howdy,

BentGear was actually the first program I launched on GoldenCan, but I've been pretty happy with the results so far! Just from a geek perspective, it was definitely a smooth ride. You can check goldencan's site to see a list of all their merchants, they're from all networks. (But I'm obviously biased toward ShareASale merchants )

Hope that helps!
    best,
    Carolyn

Pro's - The merchant updates your page in almost real time for you. No more changing links when a sale happens. Not that I do that anyway.

Very little learning curve

Cons - You have to add some quality Content to each page to make it unique, a little presell spin never hurt anyone.

If you know how to copy and paste there is no reason not to have goldencan on your site.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    We set up our GoldenCan program as free for the affiliate ... Definitely worth playing around with!
    Where can the affiliate "play around with the code?"

Cool
    everything's at Goldencan.com; you need to make an account there.

I like it because I can make a group of links to merchants with coupons and recent price drops.

Also, it is an easy way into amazon.com, as long as you have an account there.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    everything's at Goldencan.com; you need to make an account there.

I like it because I can make a group of links to merchants with coupons and recent price drops.

Also, it is an easy way into amazon.com, as long as you have an account there.
    Yes, I have an acount with Amazon. Is there a fee at Goldencan.com?

ABW Ambassador
    rhia, answer to all 3 of your questions:

http://www.goldencan.com

http://www.goldencan.com/faq.aspx

mailman, will find more info, comments and such in their forum here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=310

PROS:::
    1. Easy To Use
    2. Complete Store Created Instantly
    3. Prices updated automatically

CONS:::
    1. 4th Click is GoldenCans (ON SOME MERCHANTS NOT ALL)
    2. NO Control Over SEO
    3. NO Control Over Errors in the script
    4. Did I mention NO CONTROL over the pages created...

If your relationship with a merchant CHANGES for the worse.. IE: You decide to drop one...

You Lose the entire site..

There is no way to reproduce those pages in the SE's

LOOK AT THE PRO's I LISTED...
    Sound to good to be true...?? Think About That....

I have been running a single GoldenCan site for almost six months...
    Still not listed in the SE's.. Other sites that I have created on my own...
    Have already gotten listed and made sales... NO SALES through the GoldenCan site as of yet...

Is this YOUR BUSINESS..??
    Then why wouldn't you want 100% control over your pages..??
    Look at the CONs I listed... there are some BIGGIES THERE..
    NO CONTROL... am I a CONTROL FREAK??
    Yep when it comes to my business...

But if quick and easy is what you are looking for.. go for it..
    But don't expect to make a TON of money...

(Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of these dynamic sites that never need to be updated.. but Affiliate Marketing is A LOT more than that... If that is all it was we would all run banner farms and make tons of cash... The easy way is not always the best way...)

Thanks to Trustno1 for the urls & thanks to Addhandler for the points to consider.

At the moment I don't use any feed at all on my sites (I also have 2 blogs).
    I like the idea of controlling what my visitors see.
    Feed also wrecks the individuality of the items listed: My successes have always been in my reviews of individual products or at least combining the individual item with the theme/schema of the webpage.

I don't always like Amazon's suggestions when I create a keyword multiple suggestion thingy ... this would just be amplified by GoldenCan's thing.

Whether I use something or not, it's interesting to check out & most likely I'll take a look.

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler

I have been running a single GoldenCan site for almost six months...
    Still not listed in the SE's.. Other sites that I have created on my own...
    Have already gotten listed and made sales... NO SALES through the GoldenCan site as of yet...
    We're trying to get on with GoldenCan but currently, he is not accepting Linkshare merchants until the link changes, I think.

As far as use of the tool, what I see is if you make the same mistakes of using a datafeed such as cloning merchant sites and putting for SEs to crawl it, you will, sooner or later, see that it's not correct way to utilize these sort of tools.

If it's so easy that every can do it, everyone will do it. What everyone can easily do, will not make you stand out. You need to stand out to make decent money in affiliate marketing.

Affiliate marketing is not easy. You need to put the time and effort to make something of it. These kinds of tools great, and they make it easy for you to work smarter, and they don't substitue for the work itself.

What size?
    How big will the GoldenCan dealy be on one's webpage?
    Does it take up the entire webpage or is it a small thing at the side (Like an Amazon banner made up of books from the keywords you selected).

Someone mentioned "copying" a merchant's catalog with GoldenCan -- that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You can have it pull categories and sub-categories and make it whatever size you want to.

ABW Ambassador
    rhia, visit those 2 links I posted and try it out. They list sites that are using it so you can see the different ways in which people are using it. It's all on the Goldencan site.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    2. NO Control Over SEO
    Where some see "no control" over SEO, others see complete control.

Since the product display isn't crawled by search engines, you're not just another copy of someone's datafeed.

Also since the feed isn't indexed by search engines, the content you add is all that a search engine can "see". So the text and tags from a product display don't hinder you in any way from targeting whatever keywords you choose. If you know seo and use a keyword tool like wordtracker, you want product displays that stay "quiet" so you get to determine ALL of the seo onpage aspects of your site.

My Main Point about GoldenCan sites is this...

You sign up with Merchant "A" and get a GoldenCan site running..
    You get listed in the SE's and start making sales...

Merchant "A" goes out of business or has way to many parasites in their program.. so you decide you do not want to - or can not promote Merchant "A" any longer... so you take down the GoldenCan site...

That is it.. you start all over again.. those pages are LOST for ever..

If you would have been using a datafeed or created the site yourself.. then those pages could be re-created using another merchant and your business keeps going...

If you are approaching this like a business then the above example is NOT A GOOD place to find yourself in.. try and reproduce the pages located at:::
    yoursite.com?goldencansiteid=000&goldencanmid=000000000&goldencancid=000000#goldencan
    It Would Be Impossible...

And see what Google says about DYNAMIC SITES....
    ---------------------
    From This Page HERE

Does Google index dynamic pages?
    Google does index dynamically generated webpages, including .asp pages, .php pages, and pages with question marks in their URLs. However, these pages can cause problems for our crawler and may be ignored. If youre concerned that your dynamically generated pages are being ignored, you may want to consider creating static copies of these pages for our crawler.

--------------
    And This Page HERE

If you decide to use dynamic pages (i.e., the URL contains a "?" character), be aware that not every search engine spider crawls dynamic pages as well as static pages. It helps to keep the parameters short and the number of them few.

-----------------------

Does this look like short and few??
    yoursite.com?goldencansiteid=000&goldencanmid=000000000&goldencancid=000000#goldencan

The GoldenCan site I have... is linked to from pages that are ranked 5/10 to 7/10 and NONE OF THE GOLDENCAN PAGES HAVE ANY RANK AFTER SIX MONTHS.... So You Make The Call....

Thanks Donuts & Trustno1. I haven't looked at GoldenCan's site yet. I intend to.

ABW Ambassador
    The search engines will not see any of the content from GoldenCan, you just add
    a short line of javascript to your site to make it work. You need to add your own
    content if you want your pages to be picked up by search engines. If you make a
    site with only GoldenCan on it, the search engines will not see anything.

ABW Ambassador
    Many good Pro's have been listed.

Here is one con:

I have noticed times when there must be somthing happening with the GoldenCan server, because it takes forever to load a page that has the script on it. I've seen this a few times, and am sure that anyone using my site would have gone on to the next thing with that taking place.

I'd love to see more merchants making the 4th click free.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    Many good Pro's have been listed.

Here is one con:

I have noticed times when there must be somthing happening with the GoldenCan server, because it takes forever to load a page that has the script on it. I've seen this a few times, and am sure that anyone using my site would have gone on to the next thing with that taking place.

I'd love to see more merchants making the 4th click free.
    We were in the process of upgrading GoldenCAN servers this weekend. There was no down time but you might have felt some slow speed. If you see any page loading slow next time please email me the URL of your page and we will make sure to take care of the problems.

GoldenCAN servers are running on their full speed and we are on top of the things monitoring speed and everything all the time. We understand when thousands of affiliates are depending on GoldenCAN servers to get the data how important is speed and other factors.

I've just begun to use GC, however, you really have to check up on the datafeeds. I set up one for their Valentines Day items, and several categories had little or nothing showing. I wrote the AM, and received a CC letter from him asking GC to update their database.

Another one I used at first had images for all their products. I happened to check my pages a couple of weeks later, and about 50% of the images were gone. Checked with the AM, he said they were in the process of updating their images.

So using it is not a done deal.

And yes, you must SEO your pages. Maybe break out sub-cats and write 250-300 words for each page and link together as a section. It's still a heck of a lot faster!! The learning curve is almost nil.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Outsourced Program Manager
    I think an important point being missed is that GoldenCan is not a tool that generates traffic via the search engines. It's role is to convert traffic into sales.

If you optimize all your other content, get a nice SERP, and then drop (or get dropped by) the merchant you are promoting, just find another merchant that sells similar products on GoldenCan, and replace that one line of code.

What Michael said.

As GC grows, replacing a merchant will be easier.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread