Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Linkshare Vs. Commission Junction
    After reviewing this forum, i must say im disapointed. This whole affiliate marketing business seems shady...

Link share doesent do direct deposit, mailing checks, late checks headaches. Why invest my time & money...

Comission Junction parasites ?

with the research i have done now i am scared to invest more time & money into affiliate marketing, unless someone can save the day for me..

ABW Ambassador
    You can still make great money in affiliate marketing despite any problems.

Why do people want direct deposit from affiliate networks? I don't think the potential to let someone scoop into your bank account is reassuring. I want a check unless I'm making commissions of thousands of $$$ on a steady basis. I haven't passed the thousand $ commission threshold yet.

I was having trouble creating product links with CJ. CJ is also greedy about pushing its $200 datafeed.

LS has an excellent format for allowing the webmaster to create custome links provided the merchant has the advanced search feature.

I haven't yet noticed CJ parasites (they're probably around) & now there's the buzz about LS changing its coding so that I'll have to re-construct a bunch of pages

Do what you wanna do. Who were you looking for to save the day?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    JayL, Think about it...

no inventory, no fulfillment, no overhead (practically..). it's pure (online) marketing.. but like anything in this world $$ isn't going to come to you overnight or easy. You have to committ for the long haul.

Question: Do you have any sites now you've built with user driven content, high traffic or unique content? If so you are already ahead..

Check out some of the smaller networks, too. CJ and Linkshare aren't the only players

Good Luck..

thanks that made me feel a whole lot better

But im not going to invest my time & money into something dodgy, and shady.. Why invest into something like that ?

If i invest time & money , only to find out a company is going to cheat me ? After reading all the reviews im just getting real suspicious.

If anyone here can tell me they are really making some good money with AM with cj or linkshare, with minimal problems that would give me a whole breathe of fresh air..

LinkShare does do direct deposit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    thanks that made me feel a whole lot better, can you explain to me if you ahve used CJ, or LS with success ?
    Define success.

I've made money with both CJ and LS but I haven't made so much that I want direct deposit (you can change that any time).

CJ & LS are established networks with high profile merchants.

You'll discover other networks/merchants if you read this forum

ABW Ambassador
    "Why invest into something like that ?"

Freedom. I'm almost at my 4 yr. anniversary of waking up without an alarm clock.

Well im already a part of those networks LS & CJ.. Currently designing the website, and creating my marketing plan/campaign. Im using them right now because they feature Merchants of my business's interest.

What i want to know is are they legit, do they pay their affiliates the correct amount that is owed ?

Trust no1 : its great to hear that, this is why i became involved in AM.

Direct Deposit is useful in my situation because the apartment where i live has a bad mail box system..

Success = At least a good ROI

ABW Ambassador
    People talk about problems and issues because there are problem and issues. Doesn't mean you can't make money, all businesses have problems and issues.

So yes there are problems. And yes you can make money regardless. Just have to find the right merchants that work for you regardless of where they're at.

Anyways , im just going to see what happens.. I guess Trustno1

ABW Ambassador
    "what if someone is cheating you ? Are you going to continue doing business with them ?"

You already know the answer to that one If you're talking about a merchant, there are no shortage of good merchants. Trial and error. After some time you'll find your "good ones" There are some merchants that have worked for me since the beginning, month in and month out. Keep trying to find more of those merchants and drop the bad ones.

That choice is yours. If you get burned, you have 2 choices, right?

Jay, there wouldn't be this many people posting in this forum if we were bleeding money, right?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

what do you mean by "bleeding money" ?

ABW Ambassador
    Freedom to wake up when you want to. Not to have to answer to a boss breathing down your back. Not having to deal with a bunch of lunatics screaming at you over the phone. The freedom to work in your pajamas all day long if you feel like it. The freedom to see a movie in an empty cinema when everyone else is working in their offices.

Now that's AM for you!

The freedom of working for yourself is great & all, but it's not all easy... Like anything if you want to be successful, research it well, and invest your time & $ wisely.

what do you mean by "bleeding money" ?
    I'll take a stab: maybe he means if we were made of money?

JayL, you can make a lot of money affiliate marketing. It is a whole new world though, and requires education and persistence just like anything else. In many ways it is the same as the brick and mortar world, there are the good and the bad. Most B&M businesses have people that pay on time, and people that require collections in order to get payment. There is not much difference between walking in a door and getting ripped off, or surfing electrons to get the same result. There is good and bad no matter what you do or where you go. Part of the challenge of AM is picking your way through the garbage to get to the diamonds. The other part is bringing in enough traffic to make the cash. Once you put those two together, your bank account will feel very good.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

My question is .. is Linkshare or Commission junction garbage ? Or are just some merchants garbage ?

ABW Ambassador
    There are good and bad merchants in every network. The bad we all gripe about. The good we tend to keep to ourselves. The diamonds are the ones you usually have to find out for yourself. Read the threads in the forums to see for yourself.

But im not going to invest my time & money into something dodgy, and shady.. Why invest into something like that ?
    I suggest investing time and money into your own business. Provide a service useful to people and you'll be able to pick and choose who you work with. This is where a lot of people flounder. They focus only on the merchants without ever building their own brand or service. If you build something of value, you don't need to worry about working with dodgy and shady businesses.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I still vividly remember the first week after I left my job (Sept. 14, 2003) to do this full-time (translation: less than 40 hours per week) I made a casual trip to town (a Wednesday) to do some shopping. I kept feeling the strangest sensation as I watched everyone hurrying about their jobs while I casually roamed around town knowing that I was earning money on the net even while I was in town watching other people work. I think what I was "feeling" was total freedom.

When you reach the point that you quit your job and have your first casual trip into town, then you will know what I am talking about. And then you will know it is all worth it!

How many other full-time affiliate marketers here remember that first week of freedom?

On the other hand, if you are afraid of being ripped-off, what about Enron, pension funds being gutted by companies, work politics, etc.? Working for "the man" is certainly taking a risk with your earnings.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Talking
    Hey guys thanks for all the feedback i greatly appreciate it.

Entrepreneur's Raise your glasses !

This whole affiliate marketing business seems shady...
    Ask about this to Chris Sanderson, Andy R, Geno, loxly and a lot more other AMs who put their @$$ on line for affiliates. Or to Haiko, Kellie, Donuts and others who strive hard to make this business better. Or to Michael Coley, Leader, Billy Kay and so many other affiliates who work in this business full time. No offence, but I strongly oppose your way of thinking. A few bad actors doesn't make the whole affiliate marketing business shady. This is no easy money business. Far from it. And don't believe anyone if they say that you're guaranteed to make money in this business. No Sir. This business has a low barrier for entry but that doesn't mean that everyone succeeds & makes enough money to leave their day job. One has to be smart, one has to have common sense and one has to work their @$$ off to make money in this business. You will have to weigh the risks and act accordingly. If you spend enough time on this forum, you will be in a position to know which merchants to work with and which merchants to avoid, which networks to work with and which networks to avoid. Wish you good luck. And I sincerely hope that someday you will be able to see this for yourself.

cheers!
    -nishith

ABW Ambassador
    Look out for the AMs with ethics. Nish mentioned the most famous ones here. Work with the ethical AMs and you wouldn't find it shady.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast