google up-date, Bigdaddy.
    just got this through if anyones interested.
    =================================

Google has announced a major update that will affect the ranking of web pages in Google's index. In contrast to the usual algorithm updates, this update will be much bigger because it changes the way Google works behind the scenes. Google has given the update the name "Bigdaddy".

What is Google's Bigdaddy update?

Google uses a network of data centers with different IP addresses to answer search queries. These decentralized servers share the workload of indexing web sites.

The upcoming Bigdaddy update is not an algorithm update but a change in Google's data center infrastructure. It contains new code for sorting and examining web pages. According to Google's search engineer Matt Cutts, the update will be live in February or March.

Less spam, more content and a new Google spider?

Google is updating the data center infrastructure to handle potential spam problems such as 302 redirections or canonical URLs more efficiently. In addition, the new infrastructure will allow Google to develop more advanced algorithms and larger databases.

Another reason for the new data center infrastructure is that Google wants to be able to index different content types. Google is now testing a new search engine spider that is based on the Mozilla browser.

The new spider should be able to index more than traditional search engine spiders, possibly links within images, JavaScripts or Flash files.

How can you test how Bigdaddy will affect your rankings?

Some Google data centers that use the new Bigdaddy system are already online. For example, if you go to 66.249.93.104 you can test Google's new data center.

Google even wants your feedback. Click the "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" link at the bottom right of the result page. Enter your feedback and use the keyword bigdaddy so that Google knows that your feedback is about the new data center.

It's hard to tell how the Bigdaddy update will affect your web page rankings. If you have a spam free web site with good content and many incoming links, the update should have a positive effect on your Google rankings.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Unhappy
    I'm not worried. There's only one way I can go in Google...up.

What is a canonical URL?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    What is a canonical URL?
    Detailed explanation is on Matt Cutt's blog.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Depend on no one but yourself...[/FONT] :winking:

Wel, I checked the new datacenter and it was still full of spam..

..i.e. Sites Positioned Above Mine.

Oh well.. thank goodness for AdWords.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Well, thanks for that. Any clue how you can actually FIND a subject of interest in his blog without drilling down page after page?

Anyone want to tell me what it means?

I may have found it through google search......

Matt Cutts blog canonical

Apparently, it means they are going to start treating things like

as the same page. They should have done that in the first place, for pity sake. They will select the one that they THINK the webmaster intended by the fact that that is what all the other pages use. So, if you want to use

www.example.com make sure you are consistent.

I am going to need to go back and add /index.html to some pages, I guess.
    Last edited by SSanf; January 31st, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

me too.
    the first page for plazan had 2 scraper sites listed.
    I reported them
    they dont even give a link back to my site.
    just take you off to another skin care product [w`nkers]
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I'll second that Simcat

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Same here. As for the D*MN scraper sites, I hope they find a way to get them out of there resutls. What a waste!

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    BigDaddy is NOT an update, it is a new infrastucture that future SERPs will be based on. There is no update happening at the moment but there will, more that likely, be an SERPs update next month. Let's face it, how long can the SERPs stay this terrible for. They are truly AWFUL at the moment.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherMan
    BigDaddy is NOT an update, it is a new infrastucture that future SERPs will be based on.
    I heard this too. Not a new algo, not an update, but a kind of new department/division with new datacenter.
    [LEFT][B]Good partners = top positions[/B]
    see screenshots with [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]PROOFS[/url]
    [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]Automatic Reciprocal Links Exchange Script[/url]
    [url=www.profitlinking.com]Link exchange service[/url] - best price in the industry + [url=www.profitlinking.com/free-service-contest.htm]free contest[/url][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo

..i.e. Sites Positioned Above Mine.

Oh well.. thank goodness for AdWords.
    LOL! Love it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IMcredo
    I heard this too. Not a new algo, not an update, but a kind of new department/division with new datacenter.
    But, based on what it's supposed to do, it might as well be a new algo!

It contains new code for sorting and examining web pages. According to Google's search engineer Matt Cutts, the update will be live in February or March.

Less spam, more content and a new Google spider?

Google is updating the data center infrastructure to handle potential spam problems such as 302 redirections or canonical URLs more efficiently. In addition, the new infrastructure will allow Google to develop more advanced algorithms and larger databases.
    If it walks like an algo and it quacks like an algo...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    canonical issue, Sandra:

The most common one is both example.com and www.example.com being indexed and linked to. They're actually different - www. is technically a subdomain of example.com so they end up being looked at as duplicates, and if there are links to both the PR is split up.

The solution is to pick one to use and just to redirect all "versions" of how the homepage appears to just that one.

The new spider should be able to index more than traditional search engine spiders, possibly links within images, JavaScripts or Flash files.
    If Flash and JavaScript become part of the index this will not only shakeup the web, but will make a long awaited leap forward in web design and SEO. Work and sites that are now invisible will now have a home in the index and, I believe, will be higher demand.

I'm am excited to see this unfold.

Of couse this means BHO and Parasites have a new channel too, but that happen each time new tech is released.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

It is not an algo update. Please read http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/bigdaddy/

Action Jackson - King of the World
    If the index is shfting as badly as it has been lately then it is an algo update in y book LOL

I'm having a lot of visitors find me that when I click on the link from my latest visitors I'm nowhere to be seen.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherMan
    It is not an algo update. Please read http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/bigdaddy/
    If you insist on paying attention to Official Google-Generated Propaganda at all, please read it closer. There was an algo update according to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Google's Propaganda Minister
    Q: What’s new and different in Bigdaddy?
    A: It has some new infrastructure, not just better algorithms or different data. Most of the changes are under the hood, enough so that an average user might not even notice any difference in this iteration.
    (Bold added)
    "Not JUST" better algorithms and different data, is NOT the same meaning as not including an algo change. Also the words "Most of" in the next sentence, is clearly is stating that NOT ALL of the changes are "under the hood."

His wording means there WAS INDEED an algo change and new data--along with the new infrastructure.

Whether the "average" user would notice it is irrelevant. The average user isn't paying attention to (or probably even noticing) whether a site is #1 or #9999.

Goofle loves to say things to get people ass-u-ming the wrong stuff. For some reason, people seem to skip over all those IMPORTANT little qualifiers of G's, like "not just" and "most of."

It's like Goofle's schooling was in law rather than coding.

On a related note:

Quote Originally Posted by Whoever Neil Quoted, in Post #1
    And possibly NOT!

But just watch people mutate that very wishy-washy "should" and "possibly," into an ironclad-seeming "they do" and "they now index these things" within about a week or two. *Groan*
    Last edited by Leader; February 3rd, 2006 at 05:26 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

IMO "not just" was a turn of phrase and not to be analysed so closely. I'm sticking with my original opinion. After all what's to be so secretive about if it actually was an algo update. Jagger weather reports weren't exactly secretive.

I'd rather they didn't follow javascript-- easier to set up content pages with a small sprinkling of affiliate stuff the se's don't notice.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread