Dell Home did not track
    Purchased an LCD monitor on the 28th, they already shipped it and I am getting it tomorrow - however no sales reported in linkshare.

My purchases from Dell in the past have tracked, having said that, I will never purchase from them again. Last Christmas I got a printer for my wife’s computer, the software that came with it put so much spyware and adware on her computer, that it took me hours to get rid of it all. I once thought Dell was a good company, but they set me straight! I hope they enjoyed the cash they made from the trash that was bundled with the software, because they will never get a sale from me again!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dell has an elaborate internal site cookie killing trap. They purposefully destroy both BF and Linkshare cookies by navigating around their one web site. Cross the invisible barrier to Home vs Small Biz products and your session only cookie is killed. PS ... Dell e-mails cookie wash as do the TV Ad landing pages. There is no known BHO who isn't or wasn't a Dell affiliate. Finding them taking fees for bundling Adware/Spyware within the system and accessory product lines is not surprising. Sure hope all the tricksters are having a heyday bilking the Dell program for all it's worth.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

My Way, Inc. is a division of Ask Jeeves, Inc. Internet privacy is an issue that we take very seriously. We provide this Privacy Policy so that our users will know what personally identifiable information is and is not being collected about you through the Site, how that information is and is not being used, and with whom it is and is not being shared. Also, although we and our affiliates own or operate other websites, such websites are not governed by this Privacy Policy.

As of July 19, 2005, Ask Jeeves has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of IAC/InterActiveCorp ("IAC"), and, thus, IAC now controls My Way's privacy practices. IAC has informed us that it does not plan to make any immediate changes to My Way's privacy practices. This means that this Privacy Policy will remain in place after we become an IAC company; and IAC will treat users' personal information with the same respect, and subject to the same constraints, as apply under this policy. If in the future IAC decides to revise My Way's privacy practices, those changes will be announced in the manner required by this policy.

MyWebSearch is the core component of FunWebProucts, better known as SmileyCentral. These are, believe it or not, products of the once respected Ask Jeeves. Not only does Ask Jeeves own MyWebSearch and FunWebProducts (SmileyCentral etc.) but lie about its function. On SmileyCentral's Web site it indicates plainly "No Adware/No Spyware" yet proof that they are adware for sure can be found at http://thundercloud.net/infoave/askjeeves-rant.htm . And additionally information about questionable installation tactics can be found at http://www.benedelman.org. Ask Jeeves denies that it has anything to do with questionable installation tactics and blames it on wayward affiliates.

To add more fuel to this fire, Ask Jeeves targets children with its "SmileyCentral" collection of goodies. One of the tentacles that MyWebSearch/FunWebProducts installs is something called PopularScreenSavers, which provides children with an opportunity to view nearly naked "babes" (as Ask Jeeves calls them.).....

Dell Charges $49 to Remove Their Own Spyware
    Written By: Michael Amor Righi, July 21st, 2005
    http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/...pyware-my-way/

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

MyWay Variants and Aliases ....MyWay Toolbar, My SpeedBar

Classification:Adware

MyWay Description
    MyWay is a search toolbar that installs into Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, adding search functions and popup blocking. It reports your surfing activity anonymously to MyWay affiliates, helping them to serve targeted advertising to you. As a BHO, MyWay shares the memory that your browser uses, detects events, creates additional windows while you are surfing, and monitors your activity. When a new browser window is opened, MyWay will send a configuration request about 5k in size.

How MyWay Is Installed
    Direct download and bundled with filesharing applications such as Kazaa.

MyWay Publisher
    Myway.com

Removing MyWay Searchbar
    :
    Effective spyware removal products will remove MyWay. If you'd prefer to remove it manually, follow these steps:

For Windows 98 and up:

1. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
    2. Scroll through the program listings until you find the entry for "MyWay Speedbar" and then click "Remove". This will clean out most of the installed program.
    3. Click on "My Computer".
    4. Navigate to the main directory structure where the MyWay Speedbar was installed. Usually this is "C:\Program Files\". If you can't find it click on Start > Search > For Files or Folders and type in "MyWay".
    5. Delete the folder "C:\Program Files\MyWay"
    6. Click on Start > Run and type "regedit", then click "OK".
    7. Scroll down to the folder named: 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"
    8. Move to the sub folder "Interface". MyWay inserts two registry keys here, both of which can be removed by deleting the folders:

Interface\{0494D0D4-F8E0-41AD-92A3-14154ECE70AC} Interface\{0494D0D6-F8E0-41AD-92A3-14154ECE70AC}

Move to the sub folder "TypeLib". There is another registry key here, that can be removed by deleting the folder:

TypeLib\{0494D0D0-F8E0-41AD-92A3-14154ECE70AC}

9. Restart your Computer to allow the new registry settings to take effect.

I think SpyBot S&D detects and removes this affiliate BHO tied into Linkshare and CJ merchants.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/funw...pybot-scan.htm Spybot does for free what Dell charges $49.95 per infestation removal fee
    Last edited by ecomcity; February 3rd, 2006 at 12:43 PM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The FTC has been so lax that people like Dell have chosen to install spyware on the PC's that they sell.

I used to be a huge Dell fan, now I think they suck.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread