Required Personal Info??
    I am not sure how to react to this. Initially I am disturbed but that might just be a result of having been forced to take almost a week off from business while sick and now having a ton of work.

Checking my cj mail and I found an email from a merchant. They say that to combat fraud they require I email them my name, email, website name(s), my phone number and my postal mailing address. Once they have that they will decide if I can remain in their program. If they don't receive it they will permanently deactivate me.

This is a merchant I signed up for to include on a new website so I am tempted to say thanks but no thanks. If the merchant had proven themselves to me I wouldn't mind but had do I know what they will do with this info.

This just doesn't sit well with me right now.

15 years and counting
    Just a merchant trying to bypass CJ. They are going to be deactivated by them one day or an other.
    I don't see how getting your personal info is going to help them combat fraud.
    Something is fishy!

CJ already has that information on file.

Just e-mail the website address(es) and website name(s).

Ask them to give explicit reasons as to why they need your home address and telepjone -- after all, CJ sends out the checks, they don't.

They claim this will work to prevent commission theft. To quote their reason-

"But there has been an expressed concerned about
    fraud, mainly commission theft within many
    affiliate communities and forums.

As part of our effort to lower the chances of
    commission theft within our program, we will
    actively protect our affiliates from fraud by
    carefully reviewing each applicant. This will be
    our first line of defense."

I've had other merchants email me asking for my email or other contact info to make communication easier and most often have no problem with providing it. As you say Zeus, this demand seems fishy to me.

melli are you apprehensive about transmitting your personal details via e-mail?
    If you are, tell them you'd be willing to fax or snail-mail the info.

If you think they just want your phone # so they can badger you or if you think they want to catagorize you according to your zip code tell them that you are not comfortable divulging the info

then question them as to how such info will help to fight off spyware or fraud.

The whole point of 3rd party accounting systems such as CJ & LS etc.
    is to clear those details up front.

15 years and counting
    That's an important subject. I'm afraid more and more merchants are going to ask more info about their affiliates due to liabilities.
    Asking the same info to fight fraud, or commission theft, I don't believe it.
    Anyway, it can't be done without CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    That's an important subject. I'm afraid more and more merchants are going to ask more info about their affiliates due to liabilities.
    Isn't that redundant after all the details one has to fill out to CJ, LS or any other 3rd party marketing network?

CJ is supposed to clear us on the ground floor and CJ writes the check.

What, is the merchant afraid *YOU* bought the product and they don't want to give a commission?

Most likely they want to categorize people acording to acorn profiles (i.e. your zip code)

Hi Rhia, they just seem dishonest. I just don't see why they need it and how it will prevent commission theft. Right now I am not willing to give this merchant my postal address or my phone number. Like I've said I've shared this info with other merchants because I felt it would help my sales or they honestly asked for it to facilitate communication. I find it is often beneficial but it does require a certain degree of trust.

It does seem like they want to judge us, even if it is by zip code.

I forgot to say they do give you the option of phoning in the info. If I don't reply in some manner by the 13th they will deactivate me.

15 years and counting
    I guess the merchant is trying to start his own affiliate list before leaving CJ. We have to provide accurate information about our business to the networks and then it's their responsabilities to share such info with their merchants or not. LS and CJ don't do it for multiple reasons. This merchant should contact CJ, first.
    I can't imagine getting such email for each merchant I had a sale at CJ.

then mellie don't give it to them ... tell them they can not pass Go & they do not collect the info

If it's a merchant you've made commissions with or not think of how that affects how you feel.

Tell them CJ has all the necessary info.

Just say NO unless you want to bait them by asking details on how exactly this will help the Super Heroes fight fraud (the whole thing sounds ridiculous).

I sent them an email expressing consfusion as to why it's necessary I send them this info as CJ already has all necessary information. I also inquired if they have issues with the way CJ oversees their business and if they are considering switching networks.

I pulled the few links I had put up for them and have taken them out of my plans for the new site.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you imagine if all merchants start wanting to verify us? I almost prefer the whole linkshare verification process.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread