Affiliate Network Rep Jackie Lane's Avatar
    Heard about this new virus?
    Has anyone heard of this...

Deadly virus due to hit computers on Friday of this week:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183331,00.html

Just got a bit spooked with the story! The powers that be are always up to something...

Make sure your VirusScans /Firewalls are doing their thing in full effect!

Jackie

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up! I will make sure my antivirus has the latest updates. I just made a backup onto an external hard drive. Is there any way for the virus to find its way onto my backup drive?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheese,

Is it connected to your computer? if it is, there is little difference between that and one inside the box.

I suggest burning some disk and if you want to go agro, burn two sets and keep one set in a different location in case of fire ;-)

Don't forget to run a full scan after updating the anti-v

If your virus software is up to date you should be ok.

More info:

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alert...le.php/3581901
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Cheese,

Is it connected to your computer? if it is, there is little difference between that and one inside the box.
    It's connected via USB port. So as long as the USB is out, I'm OK. I will leave the external drive disconnected now that I have done a backup. I have a CD burner, but not a DVD burner. A single DVD could back up most all I need to back up.

I was watching a bit on TV about hard drive failures - this is what prompted my backing up everything a few days ago. A hard drive has moving parts moving at about 60MPH! After seeing (on TV) how that arm goes scrawling about on the disk I am amazed that the drive doesn't fail after a few weeks!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheese,

Is that a 5400, 7200 or faster RPM?

I've got a 40 gig (full) 8mb buffer 7200 rpm cooking in my laptop with bad air circulation and a hot argie wind....and went the dvd route!

Can't thank you enough for the warning...i'm a few gigs out of sink on my backups (2gigs just to keep up on the most recent lost episodes ;-)

I am very happy with Kaspersky running continously in the background, with automatic definitions updates several times a day its deadly to new "additions to the world of viruses".

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the heads up - I just made sure that my virus definitions are up-to-date.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    Thanks for the heads up - I just made sure that my virus definitions are up-to-date.
    Smart move, this is the action suggested earlier in the week by the "experts."

Has anyone been hit?

Fred

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Got a call today from a lawyer client I warned on Tuesday to update and run their AVG and Norton anti-virus programs. Then do the same with MS Anti-Spyware and Ad-aware. Needless to say he called with a trashed computer. Seems daughter downloaded some kool screensaver and free games yesterday afternoon. She also got some SMILES for Dad's puter e-mailing programs.

All his legal MS Word and Microsoft Office and .PDF files are completely un-usuable. I'll let him sweat some more before going over there and show him how I tagged all his Microsoft Office documents into the paid QuickBooks account system online daily. His other 2 pier to pier network computers are screwed as AVG didn't remove or cure all the infected files. Useless after the 3rd rolled over and whacked the files. Wonder if my online backup trick will make me a hero at a small lawfirm???
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think if you use Yahoo mail, it should be filtered out, put in the bulk mail which no one ever opens. At least, I hope so. Yahoo, supposedly, checks email for such things before delivering the mail.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    "His other 2 pier to pier network..."
    Mikey, it's "peer-to-peer"

I understand the daughter thing, I have one, and she D/L's all sorts of cute stuff that routinely needs cleaning.

However, which one of our professionals here at ABW would admit to clicking on an email that might have a virus? I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but those folks that are professionals, and load/run attachments from strangers really need a class in Internet safety before being allowed back on the Internet.

I don't allow HTML attachments to load, I have to pick and choose which ones I want to look at. I might even load an HTML attachment in a text editor first if I am unsure. And OMG! Who in their right mind clicks on an EXE or PIF extension in their email?

Having to be careful like that absolutely sucks, but it is the price one has to pay to stay safe from the dirtbags out there.

Sorry for my rant. I guess, by the lack of posters in this thread, that the ABW community IS very smart about their machines. That makes me proud.

Fred

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread