Phishers are pretty popular...
    I got a phishing email made to look like H & R block about my taxes...link is to a site owned by someone in the Bahamas and their Alexa ranking is 683,497!
    Apparantly people aren't near as aware of these scammers as they should be...

15 years and counting
    I'm using the new Explorer 7 and they have a Phishing filter and a report Phishing option. Most be quite popular to force Microsoft to move.
    History about Phishing...
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../phishing.mspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I'm using the new Explorer 7
    Out of curiosity, why do you choose Explorer over let's say Firefox?

15 years and counting
    There's no reason behind my choice. I'm quite an old timer, my first real browser was IE, I grew up with it from the very first version. I tried Netscape several years ago, had compatibility problems. I kept several browsers for years just to check my websites with each of them. Now, I've only one. Explorer. It works, It's stable, I've no problem. Period.
    To tell you the truth, I never had a look at Firefox, Opera... Why, just because I don't really care.
    As long as it works, it's fine with me. Do I like Microsoft, no but I've to be pragmatic. I still miss all the great companies Microsoft killed in the past, WordPerfect, Paradox...

Thanks for your explanation, Zeus

Did you ever have spyware problems on your computer? Did you ever feel that they entered the backway via IE?

I did & I found out about Firefox as an alternative.

I once moderated a board related to someone's free hosting service; it was during that time that I found out about Opera's popularity due to its downloading speed.

I like Firefox, I wish everyone else did

ABW Ambassador
    Trying to stay on topic (which is phishing), I got a phone call trying to elicit information, supposedly calling to "verify information" about one of my domains - and trying to insist on me giving them a fax number.

It's surprising that people still fall for phishing schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Trying to stay on topic (which is phishing), I got a phone call trying to elicit information, supposedly calling to "verify information" about one of my domains - and trying to insist on me giving them a fax number.

It's surprising that people still fall for phishing schemes.
    Phishing is one of the reasons I am glad I did not succumb to online banking.
    I get plenty of phishing spam in my e-mail & a large quantity is about bank accounts I supposedly have. I see a banking message & it gets the instant delete.

There's a poster near my bank's ATM machine that says if I sign-up I'll getr free e-mail messages regarding my account -- errr---no thanks!

I get Ebay & PayPal phishing spam too -- I am not involved with those either.

I actually fell for an eBay phising email. It looked very real and was relevant to an item I was selling, so I never second guessed it. I clicked the link, logged in, and didn't notice that while the page looked just like eBay it was on a different domain.

The phishers justed a couple high-end items for sale using my account, but it was quickly found out and the auctions killed, passwords changed.

Luckily my PayPal account doesn't use the same password as my eBay account or I would have been out some cash.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    webworker wrote
    supposedly calling to "verify information" about one of my domains - and trying to insist on me giving them a fax number.
    This may be a dumb question, but out of curiosity, why would they want a fax number? What use could that possibly be to them?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I got an email yesterday that looked just like an Ebay question from a buyer.
    It was the first time for that particular phish, but I have developed a habit of checking the address it was sent TO, and it wasn't my eBay seller account.

The phishers are getting better everyday. I worry about all the really clueless people out there.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread