Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Spammers Spoofing My Domain!
    Came in this morning and had tons of undeliverable emails "returned" to my inbox. I run so much security [virus, trojan, scanners, firewalls (plural), anti-spyware (x3)] and more that I know it's just some spammer spoofing my domain in their emails sent from elsewhere.

Has happened before.

Like those other times, my hosting company has shut off email services to my domain - it's my best affiliate site - torques me to have some spammer interfere with my business this way.

So the ashwipes at this BS site can bite me!

They don't even sell anything - it's a pyramid scheme where you pay to sign up (they call that a "sale"), you spam others through their interface and collect the checks for your sales made (those signing up under you). Fake US street address for reg, site hosted in India, money / funds ported through all the usual suspects. Email collection scheme layered on top of pyramid scheme.

Venting complete...

The name of one of my sites is all over Google -- are those people link farmers or what?

As for the pyramid scheme -- one of my "online friends" tried to rope me into one of those deals but I just said flat out that it looks like a pyramid scheme & I ain't gonna bite.

If your host is unable to tell the difference between spam coming from your domain and spam spoofing your domain, it might be time to find another host.

I've had that happen to me a couple times. I always give the abuse department at my host a heads up, just in case they get reports. I also take the time to track down the culprit and report them to everyone I can.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Been there too - it's crap.

The quickest way I've found to stop it is to go through the host with an email to Google about the scummy site in question.

Still get emails long after though. I now have a more enlightened hostwho understand I'm not involved and don't penalize me.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If your host is unable to tell the difference between spam coming from your domain and spam spoofing your domain, it might be time to find another host.

I've had that happen to me a couple times. I always give the abuse department at my host a heads up, just in case they get reports. I also take the time to track down the culprit and report them to everyone I can.
    No, I'm talking about the title of my site -- it's cited at millions of sites listed in Google. Sometimes I see links to my site -- sometimes I don't -- when it passes the thousandth threshhold it's too time consuming to worry about & there's nothing I can do about it -- hey, I feel I am someone in cyberspace.

They can tell the difference, but the have levels of safeguards that escalate and include blocking what they know is me for a few hours because they've been burnt too many times by the domain owner's PC being the entity at fault via contamination. No amount of chatting with them will change their protocols. Systems limits all, including mine, slowly unthrottles the controls and measures responses / activity.

I have too many domain names to chat this up with my hosting companies every time it happens - roughly 2-3 times a week in my collection of domains.

The spammers rotate through 100's of thousands of domains randomly. They have posed at customers with questions to record the ip of the staff members / site owners so that detection between spoof and real gets real tight.

Basically, my isp says "we know it's not you, weather the storm, all back to normal in a day or so" and that forecast has been right too many times for me to go switching isp's or anything.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Have you set up SPF on your DNS records, so mail servers can tell that it's a spoof and refuse the mail before it gets sent?

http://openspf.org

No I have not. Thanks for the link. I'll review it and see if it's the amswer for me (which at first glance appears to be so).

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    If it's a US company for the pyramid site, think FTC and CANSPAM. The forged header thing is almost always a focal point of the spam cases. Also pyramid schemes are illegal themselves. Bonus is the FTC has a bounty system in place for those who report.

Kellie,

I didn't post the url here cuz they append an id that I thought could be construed to be an aff id... and you know how I like to follow the rules... hehehe. But it's definitely an illegal pyramid scheme.

If you want to go after the bounty, let me know and I'll forward you the bounce backs that I saved (a few dozen) - all for the same "program".

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread