Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down Another AM Spams via PMs
    Hello *****,

I hope I'm not out of line by doing this via PM but I've noticed on ABestWeb that you mentioned that you had ****** traffic

Um yeah, you are out of line, it's Spam and it's not welcomed - I got complaints and have now removed your PM rights.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    ...and just WTF is wrong with THAT?

[not my PM but I would have sent that to somone who said that they had EDU traffic]

If I had to guess (which by my nature, I have to), I would say that all of the advertising methods I see for sale at ABW are PASSIVE, and non intrusive, with the exception of the email blast.

So by extension, PM's are not offered as an advertising method for free, nor are they for sale.

I'm not sure if there are different rules for folks who have purchased forums, since I haven't.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you sent it to every ABW handle you came across... Mike, it says complaints

Internet Cowboy
    I think that if an established member of this community who is an AM sends a message like that, I have no real problem.

It is the ones who come here, make the necessary number of posts, usually useless and meaningless posts, then start pounding the members with PMs pushing their program that I have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I think that if an established member of this community who is an AM sends a message like that, I have no real problem.

It is the ones who come here, make the necessary number of posts, usually useless and meaningless posts, then start pounding the members with PMs pushing their program that I have a problem with.

I agree. I think if they are a seasoned contributing member of ABW, no problems here. Now, I wouldn't do that because if you can tell by my posting #'s I'm still medium rare, not seasoned yet.

[F.Y.I. ALL... Not my PM]

MCT,

That is only the first paragraph of a multi paragraph spam piece that was sent to 30 members. I quoted it only to identify that is was spam and action had been taken.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

So as per usual, my guess was wrong.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    So as per usual, my guess was wrong.
    Welcome to my world

but I've noticed on ABestWeb that you mentioned that you had ****** traffic
    how did they notice that 30 people mentioned that they had the same traffic ??
    thats very observant
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    is right...........

okay Haiko, I was wrong, but that was all the info we had to go on. ---Maybe that is why O.J. got off.
    In the words of the late Johnny C. "IF THE PM LOOKED LIKE THIS (I hope I'm not out of line by doing this via PM but I've noticed on ABestWeb that you mentioned that you had ****** traffic" ) THEN YOU MUST ACQUIT"

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Whoops!
    OK it was me. I want to publicly apologize for doing something that I guess I shouldn't have. but you see...
    I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to God!

But seriously, I am sorry.

But for the record. I did not send out 30 PMs.
    I sent 3 on Monday, and waited to see the response. I wasn't sure if I was out of line. I got 1 very nice response and that was it. No one said I was doing something wrong.

So I sent out 5 more on Wednesday, and got no response. That was it!!!!

Then this. Would it have been hard for someone to say it wasn't cool. I'm a new AM and I know I have a lot to learn. I probably will make more mistakes before I'm through but believe me I appreciate everyone here. I've learned so much in the last couple of months from ABestWeb that I can't begin to thank everyone! I really appreciate this forum and hope to learn enough to help other people some day.

Is there a set of rules somewhere? If there is it should be very visible on the Newbie section so every new person can learn and not have to go through this.

Anyway, I AM sorry. I was just trying to do my job.

So you found 8 people here who publicly said they have golf traffic? Or were you just taking a shotgun approach?

To me, a one-off message isn't bad. But if a merchant is sending out the same thing to multiple people, they need to do a paid announcement.

Think of it this way. If you run into someone at a restaurant and tell them about your business, that's one thing. If you take all the business cards from the "enter to win a prize fishbowl" and spam everyone, that's another thing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Maybe a clearer view of PMing people on this (and maybe any other forum) would be that if you have something PERSONAL to say to that specific person that you do not think is necessary or appropriate to post in the public forum, a PM is fine, otherwise, sending a 'request to join' PM is basically the same as sending an email that might or might not be welcomed.

Since the only forum I visit is ABW, I might be off the mark or out of line trying to explain but hope it helps.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I have been looking at this thread and grinning for about 10 minutes,
    which i should`nt , but i was

what he did was wrong , but at least he came public and apoligized.
    he`s not the first one to do this if i remember right...
    [wheres that russian flag when you need it]
    and i think its between him and boss man to deal with.

but i must say this....
    but I've noticed on ABestWeb that you mentioned that you had ****** traffic
    was a really crap line
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    What do you mean Neil?

15 years and counting
    I'm one of the 8 persons who received the PM. I said one time I had golf traffic, it was a long time ago in a thread started by Andy R if I remember.
    I didn't answer right away just because my focus these last few days is more on checking my Valentine's Day traffic. My first thought was not about Spam but Timing. Why now?
    Anyway, it was pretty soft and much better than the 2000 spam emails I'm still getting everyday. I'm fast to report spammers on ABW but I did nothing in this case.
    It's not the best way to start a relationship but the excuses are accepted.
    And, by the way, I'm playing golf tomorrow.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    OK it was me. I want to publicly apologize for doing something that I guess I shouldn't have. I'm a new AM and I know I have a lot to learn. I probably will make more mistakes before I'm through but believe me I appreciate everyone here. I've learned so much in the last couple of months from ABestWeb that I can't begin to thank everyone! I really appreciate this forum and hope to learn enough to help other people some day.

Anyway, I AM sorry. I was just trying to do my job.
    Rick,

Your honesty, willingness to learn and being open with our community has earned you a $500.00 discount to our April seminar if you would like to attend.

Good AM's that are willing to learn are hard to come by, your honesty and coming forward was the right thing to do in the growth and learning process....

Hope you can make it to Miami, contact me for your $500.00 discount if you decide to come...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Best plug ever, Andy.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Actually, I'm looking for golf merchants for a site I'm working on, and needed a nudge today, lol.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Sounds like - as it often happens - a negative advertising will turn out to be one of the best advertising campaigns for the Golf man's affiliate program.

Geno

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Best plug ever, Andy.
    You think? Maybe a winner for best plug of 2006 award?

Seriously though, I would take a hit, offer a discount to have 20 AM's that really wanted to learn the industry and wanted to grow their programs in an ethical manner following industry best practices.

That would be 20 more AM's that everyone can count on to partner with and at least know they "knew" how to run a program. We can't assure what they will do when they get back to the office, but we can take the "I didn't know" excuse out of the loop...

I may just do that Sam, thanks for the idea....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    Then this. Would it have been hard for someone to say it wasn't cool.
    Umm, in no way did I do anything to tarnish you nor your program, I specifically removed the GOLF reference and added an extra * and didn't include the remainder of the email just so people wouldn't figure it out with them actually getting the spam. So your "Then This" remark is way off base as I haven't castigated you, nor embarrassed you/your program. You are the one who did this, not I, let's keep perspective here.

As for the shotgun mentality and who you actually approached - the first one to complain to me hadn't posted in over four months and from his profile, wouldn't even hint at that he does affiliate marketing, it's so odd that you targeted him that it kinda makes me think you bought some "affiliate list" and used ABW to spam them via PM - I most certainly hope you can understand that your replicated email, even if it does pass via a PM medium, is still spam.

Is there a set of rules somewhere? If there is it should be very visible on the Newbie section so every new person can learn and not have to go through this.
    Here I'll make it simple, give me access to your customer email database so I can send them all and offer with a disclaimer of being new and disclaimer of my desire of not being "out of line" and let's see how long before the CEO kicks you in the balls for letting you. Does that make sense?

I was just trying to do my job.
    Is it really that difficult for you, or others, to see that PM spamming is wrong? Yeah your an AM, big freakin deal, does that mean you forget doing what's right? Does the badge = you can do whatever you want? If you want to send out spam, or do your job as you put it - go to axandra.com buy some software and go to town.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast