Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Network Rep JustJustin's Avatar
    Healthy Lifestyles?
    Hey all, just wondering how many of you are into the healthy lifestyle and what it is you do (tips) to stay healthy? Perhaps we can exchange some advice. I'll start...I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week hitting cardio and weights, I keep my diet relatively simple, eating healthy 6 days a week and having an off day where I can eat whatever, I stay away from soda and all kinds of fast food. My tip: drinking a lot of water everyday can be tough. If you have problems, try putting a slice of lemon in it, or dilute a small amount of 100% fruit juice with a lot of water. I could go on and on with the tips...but I look forward to hearing from you!

Justin Li
    Affiliate Coordinator
    Share Results
    justin@shareresults.com
    www.shareresults.com

I needed some new motivation so I joined a club that had an opening for an aerobics instructor. I also got certified in pilates and yoga and teach 2 classes / week.

It's very motivating to teach others and introduce new moves to the class. It keeps me up to date with the latest fitness news, I have a complete cardio music library and it gets me to the gym even when I don't feel like it. People really come to depend on your class.

If you're looking to jazz up the same old routine, try teaching it.

Good Luck, ~K

Affiliate Manager
    I try to eat the recommended 5-9 fruits and vegetables a day. It's not always easy but by the time I'm done I'm pretty full, so I am able to cut out some junk food this way. And I completely agree with JustJustin on the water issue. The more water you drink the better!
    What a great topic!

I am all for the healthy lifestyle!

However I have to admit that winter this year has been tough. Normally just the excitment of the endorhins pumping through my veins is enough to get me going to the gym and kickboxing...but the -20+ winds have stopped me this winter

Eating well is good, but I do splurge, just as long as it is not everyday. I also think that denying your body what it is craving may have negative side effects. Always listen to your body..if you have a craving, you are lacking something that day/week from your diet. Even if it may be a little sugar or salt.
    I think that everything in moteration is the key. I do not believe in diets, nor working out everyday, but I think that is is very important for overall health, and not just physique. I for one can not go a week without my veggies or some sort of activity. My mood will definitely change!

I can go on more about this topic...but I will wait and see what more is said

Thanks,
    Vanessa
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network

------------
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php

e. Vanessa@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

Cool
    I am into the healthy lifestyle and have found that drinking Mangosteen juice has really help me.

Cool
    I am into the healthy lifestyle and have found that drinking Mangosteen juice has really help me. I also travel when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJustin
    My tip: drinking a lot of water everyday can be tough. If you have problems, try putting a slice of lemon in it, or dilute a small amount of 100% fruit juice with a lot of water.
    Can I dilute it with vodka and add an olive??

In all seriousness, Besides trying to get to the gym at least 3 times a week (I have 2 fulltime jobs and 3 kids) I ride my bicycle to work (5 miles) and I use a balance ball as a computer chair. It keeps my back straight and helps keep me energized and focused.

But i do HATE drinking water.. wish it werent so

I wish I had a healthier lifestyle, but there are some thing that I do to try to stay healthy. I drink lots of warm and hot water because it's actually bad to drink cold or icy drinks. When I go to the market I tend to walk rather than drive to give myself a little extra exercise. I've been told it's key to walk at least 30 minutes a day. I've been trying to avoid soda and have found that's exceptionally effective. I don't feel as full when I exclude soda, and the lack of caffeine helps me have a more consistent mood. I never got into coffee because I grew up in the desert, so soda has always been my main caffeine source.

I've found the most effective way for me to stay fit is dancing. I used to take swing classes once a week and that was great. I maintained my weight, stayed fit and had a blast. Now that I'm living out in the desert this option isn't available, but I'll hopefully get back into it when I move out closer to the coast.

It's not much, but these are my tricks.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hey all, just wondering how many of you are into the healthy lifestyle and what it is you do (tips) to stay healthy? Perhaps we can exchange some advice.
    Good thread. I swim 3 times a week. Since my job is mostly in front of the computer (sitting on a chair that is), swimming is the best thing there is (especially on the back). I try to swim not less than 1.5 miles at a time. Push-ups and sit-ups is what I do throughout the day in the breaks during work-time.

Diet: stay away from unhealthy stuff (bacon, fries, soda, etc), drink a lot of water; keep it strict Monday through Friday, and eat more "liberally" during the weekend.

Make sure to keep my weight in the "height in cm MINUS 100" formula.

Geno

Thumbs up Great responses!
    Hey guys, great responses and tips! This is great! Especially for us, who spend a lot of time infront of a computer sitting in a chair all day.

tmmmandum - Sitting on the balance ball is a great idea to strengthen your core, we have a few in our office. Good on you for finding the time to get to the gym with your sched. Often times, people to make enough time for themselves. Working out is truly the one thing you can do purely for yourself with great benefits. Love your profile pic!

Geno - Good on you with the swimming. This is the best cardiovascular/all body work out activity you can do! It's currently about minus 30'C with the windchill in Montreal, so I am less inclined to hop in a pool though! I won't complain about our winter though Geno, I know how yours can get! We have this tradition in Canada called the "Polar Bear Swim", ever heard of it? Essentially, everybody jumps into a half-frozen lake in the middle of winter in nothing but a bathing suit! While I don't see this as being 'fun', hypothermia might be something fun to have...for a little while.

Scott - My gf is trying to coerce me (unsuccessfully) into trying swing dancing, but I will take your advice into consideration. How bad could it be right? Are cold drinks really bad for you? I have all natural protein smoothies that are borderline frozen, almost daily...*concerned*

drhea - I've never heard of this kind of juice, can it be bought in store?

kmacbc - How is the new job as an aerobics instructor? I'd like to get into pilates eventually. But please let us know how you are doing!

Vanessa - You train so hard to be a kick boxer that it makes you unapproachable, and all I want is a hug

Great replies gang! Keep them going!

Affiliate Network Rep SarahJane's Avatar
    I just finished up a quarter pounder with cheese trio and this thread is making me feel bad!
    [LEFT][FONT=Verdana]Sarah-Jane
    Affiliate Manager

[URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today![/URL]

e-mail: [EMAIL=sarah-jane @ shareresults.com]sarah-jane @ shareresults.com[/EMAIL]

[URL=http://www.shareresults.com]www.shareresults.com[/URL]

[I]"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face"[/I]
    - Bern Williams

[/FONT][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJane
    I just finished up a quarter pounder with cheese trio and this thread is making me feel bad!
    I bet you are!

Geno - Good on you with the swimming. This is the best cardiovascular/all body work out activity you can do! It's currently about minus 30'C with the windchill in Montreal, so I am less inclined to hop in a pool though! I won't complain about our winter though Geno, I know how yours can get! We have this tradition in Canada called the "Polar Bear Swim", ever heard of it? ...
    Never heard of it before today. Sounds fun.

It is not quite as cold as in Montreal now. Minus 15'C in St. Petersburg today. But we have covered swimming pools in Russia, Justin.

Geno

mmm poutine cravings
    As per my post...I have given into the craving of good old poutine today!
    Quebec's famous french fries, gravy and curd cheese. This is usualy great for a junk food binge or hangover food.

Justin...I am far from a kickboxer...and you are much further away from a hug

I've cut out sugar completely, I already stopped drinking sodas a long time ago. I am concentrating on cleansing my stomach and have found psyllium to be one of the best natural fibres. It lowers cholesterol and really helps with digestion. I drink a glass of orange juice and one tablespoon of psyllium in the morning and at night, you will need a blender and you will need to drink it right away as it can turn into Jello very quickly, its also good for weight loss as it fills you for hours.

My main reason for wanting to cleansing my stomach is a google image search for I did for "colonic irrigation", you really need to see some of the crap that lines ones colon/stomach. Not for the faint hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    My main reason for wanting to cleansing my stomach is a google image search for I did for "colonic irrigation", you really need to see some of the crap that lines ones colon/stomach. Not for the faint hearted.
    Bet you're a blast at parties!
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Speaking of being fit and healthy...the Share Results team here in Montreal has just joined a local soccer league. Our first game will be in May and we're all really excited...even though some of us have never played (me).

There has been talk about organizing a practice but hey, how hard could it be, I watch it on TV all the time - seems pretty easy.
    Justin
    Affiliate Manager
    [url=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]Join the Share Results affiliate network today![/url]
    e. justin @ shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

For fitness I do weight training and cardio 5-6 days a week. I'm more into strength training. So, I target each body part 1 or 2 times a week. The weight training concept that worked for me is push and pull concept. This is where I train my chest/tricep (push) on one day and back/bicep (pull) on another day. Shoulder and legs are in it's own category. Abs and Cardio is in their own category.

Dieting form me is whatever in moderation, but I do stay away from fast food. My protein intake is also high because I tend to lift heavy.

-Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like what I used to do. How much protein? I used to shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight, that's alot. Made sure I drank plenty of water along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Sounds like what I used to do. How much protein? I used to shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight, that's alot. Made sure I drank plenty of water along with that.
    I take around that much. I weigh 200lb. I drink ALOT of water in the gym and ALOT throughout the day.

What is your current training regiment?

ABW Ambassador
    Right now nothing, but will be getting back to one. I used to be real good with the weight training and eating right. Kept a journal of what I lifted, what I ate, everything. So will be getting back to that this year.

I see. I never kept a journal. I guess I'm not hardcore enough! heh~

I'm rather suspect of the gram of protein per pound of weight myth. I did that for over a year and did not see any sizeable gains. I went off the protein powder and converted to yogurt, tofu, cottage chese, etc and was able to maintain size and strength while keeping my body fat % low. I've read a variety of articles on supplements, they all say something different in terms of how much you should take. I have friends that are doctors and pharmacists that say protein, in powdered form, is not good for the kidney's or the liver and that "nobody needs that much protein". Not sure who to believe, but I like saving $100 a month in not buying tubs of powdered protein.
    Justin
    Affiliate Manager
    [url=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]Join the Share Results affiliate network today![/url]
    e. justin @ shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

ABW Ambassador
    I never could take the powder, I think I still have a huge thing of Designer Protein somewhere. I ate a lot of chicken breast and turkey for the bulk of my protein. I used to live off those little cans of Swanson chicken breast. Back then my diet went something like 1 gram per pound of body weight, tried to keep the calories from fat around 20-30% and the rest of the calories from carbs. I took creatine and that seemed to worked for me with the workouts. Had a good little system going back then. And then working out and genetics play a part. I didn't really start working out until my 20's, but was always playing sports every season so was in pretty good shape. My little brother used to work out and was cut and muscular and then I got into it and the results were good. Considering I don't work out now and have a horrible diet, I'm still relatively in good shape. And my new squat rack and new bars come in a couple of days, so going to start up soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast