For curiosity's sake
    Noticed in a affiliate newsletter that FatWallet received an award for sales of a particular product. I was just curious how do sites like FatWallet and eBates get their customer tracking information in order to give the "cash Back" incentives and things like that. I'm not interested in doing it but I can't figure out how they tie a particular customer to a order. Any ideas?

Talking
    Mike & Charlie

Will you please answer this question and enlighten them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    I'm guessing with Fatwallet, user logs in, shops and they have their own id, like CJ's SID and the other networks have stuff like that to track users.

I know that with FatWallet you have to be sure you shop through the links after logging in. I still can't figure out how they do so well without downloadable software, but apparently they do. The company is located nearby and is growing so fast they can't spend it fast enough. They do have some warning language on their site about watching for pop-ups near the check-out, etc. and tell their customers that if they allow the sale to be "stolen" at the check-out they don't get their piece.

I would love to know if they have some other hidden scheme. They do VERY well and yet appear to be totally legit.

Mike? Charley?

Not that hard. it depend on you software capablities. We used to use x-cart before switching and when a customer registered, a unique sub id was created that tracked any purchases they made on our site or our special partners site. My affiliate program allows my affiliates to generate as many SubIDs as they desire.
    Last edited by DavidVanHook; February 1st, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    There are a variety of ways this can be done. The most frequent I've seen is the use of tracking subID's with a member number. That said, I think CJ and LS have developed special additional subID type tracking mechanisms that were designed to help those types of applications do there stuff.

And I've also seen where sneaky ashwipers generate a sequential number, claim it's a member id number appended as a subID and pass it through extensions in url redirects via 180/zango, direct revenue, exact/bullseye advertising and others.

This whole setup makes for a nice cover story for using parasiteware. I have seen many times where the cheaters explain to merchants that they need to be paid right away - because the loyalty program counts on immediate funds to build trust - so merchants agree and process orders, delivery, approval, and payment methods faster believing this whole deal.

Meanwhile, us poor marketers wait a long time to get paid and as we feed traffic and sales into the cheaters pocket books, they don't even need to wait as long as us to cash in on our work!

Puke!

ABW Ambassador
    "I still can't figure out how they do so well without downloadable software, but apparently they do."

Over time they have built up a loyal following. Good marketing, clean operation.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread