Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool Ah, the "Real" Computer Lives Again!
    Last week the video card on this computer died.

Oh...what an agonizing wait for the new one to be delivered!! Stuck on the old computer...wavering screen display, slower than tarnation, ancient games, and--no passwords stored for most of my sites. Augh!

Needless to say, I picked out a replacement and put in my order the same night.

I never thought I'd be so glad to see a "boring computer part" show up, or to get into installing it!!

To make things even better, the expensive card of 4 years ago is the (perceptual) equivalent of the cheapie card of today. A customized test battle in Rome: Total War (with options specifically chosen to bring out the worst in the card...full armies with uber-sized [not strength, but amount of men] units, blizzard going on, etc.) had only a slight slowness during high action--the old card probably wouldn't have handled it much (if any) better. Normally-occuring battles shouldn't be any problem, unless the AI decided to send a full army of all peasants, anyway. So! $30.75 [after $10 mfr. rebate], to near-match, or even match, what used to cost $400 or so! Gotta love the price decay on processors and RAM

No w*rk for me on this night/day of celebration! But then, time to put up those new pages that I was going to put up last week...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ruh roh - you may never sleep again!

I never thought I'd say this but Rome has been quite the educational tool. "Z" has just been immersed in a book called "Hannibal's Campaigns" and has been following me around the house with useless (to me anyway hehe) battle strategies that Hannibal used and he can now use in Rome. Ah -the joy of games!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I never thought I'd say this but Rome has been quite the educational tool. "Z" has just been immersed in a book called "Hannibal's Campaigns" and has been following me around the house with useless (to me anyway hehe) battle strategies that Hannibal used and he can now use in Rome. Ah -the joy of games!
    Some games are very good at sneaking education in

As for the battle strategies...sometimes--make that usually--the AI doesn't know nearly as much about strategies as the human. Tell him not to be surprised if it goes and does something the book doesn't predict! Games are great for hitting the "high points" of how things worked, but the minutae can be quite a bit off.

If they had games like that when I was in school, I would have done a heckuva lot better at geography, especially. I never could retain info from staring at maps in the typical manner. But now I've got a headful of maps burned in like they're branded. Too bad those maps are of ancient Japan (Nobunaga's Ambition) and ancient Europe and environs (several different conquest games).

They also inspire quite a bit of curiosity which leads to learning extra stuff. I often end up wondering "did X really happen *that* way?!" until I end up looking it up. (Answer: Usually, for historical reality-based games. But sometimes they blow it. Hence the looking-up part...)

The thing is, if a game outright *says* it's even remotely educational, no self-respecting kid will touch it with a barge pole
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread