Question How are "service" sales tracked?
    Can someone explain in a nutshell how sales of service (as opposed to tangible goods) are tracked? Say, I have a translating business. I want to pay you for every lead, but how will we (or the system that is used by the affiliate network I'm on) track it when all that can really be submitted online is just an approximate number of words to be translated when a prospective client is requesting a quote. That is not an order. Just a request of a quote. The quote will be based on a different price per word for every language pair, and the same number of words will eventually cost different money for different languages...

Anyway, how are "service" sales normally tracked?

Many thanks in advance for explanation(s).

Geno

a request from a qualified customer would constitute a lead. you must set the per-lead bounty based on a history of work done this way, looking at the overall profitability of work that has come in over a period of time.

the first amount set would be a guess.

Ok. So there is no way to work on cost-per-action basis (just as I thought)? Just on cost-per-lead, correct?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    a request from a qualified customer would constitute a lead.
    How do you set the boundaries for the definition of a "qualified customer"?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Ok. So there is no way to work on cost-per-action basis (just as I thought)? Just on cost-per-lead, correct?

Geno
    There could be a cost per lead based upon a simple action.

You could make a text link/small banner that says:
    Would you like a free text ranslation into Russian? Click here for English into Russian, Spanish into Russian, French into Russian or German into Russian. See our Affordable Services with Introductory Length FREE
    OKAY then they would have to click the link to find out more about the "Free Introductory Length" The introductory length will be up to and including 200 words for free -- after that you have your own price schedule.

The deal that is tracked came from the affiliate link that expresses the above info

You know that "Mr. Needatranslation" click's Joe's (your affiliate) link.

Upon clicking Joe's link "Mr. Needatranslation" comes to a page in your site
    explaining something like this:
    http://oleg314.boom.ru/translate.htm

but it will have an embedded CGI form --if you are going to specify personal info it would be best to have a secure page

You have in the CGI form things you would like such as contact info
    If a "light version" -- less detailed is filled then that is a cost-per-lead,

if a request is made with a credit card payment or even a request for a more involved service, then that would be a cost-per-action if the person request that you translate a 50 page dissertation or whatever.

There could be a form and a commission (even if it's small click per) would be set on how much info/request was filled out -- something like that.

Geno, you might be interested in this Russian translation site -- see they give a free 200 words & I don't think a person does it because of this:

Russian versions will be indexed by Russian search engines such as Yandex and Rambler
    http://oleg314.boom.ru/translate.htm

I don't understand this but you might be able to:
    http://lubercy.narod.ru/

Hope that gives you some ideas

As above. Or as would be the case with the longer B2B sales cycle, COMMUNICATE with affiliates as to the stage in the sales process, and set a CPA based on the actual event. Perhaps throw a small lead nugget up front, but pay a percentage based on closed business.

It requires some education of the affiliates as to how it's going to work, but the affiliates who are willing to tag along for the longer ride will reap some decent rewards. Any industry hoping to play in the "long cycle" affiliate sales space will have to be willing to communicate, track, and pay, and work with affiliates who are willing to accept it.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

First a suggestion for correction, Geno.

On every language page you have this question:

"Need a text translated from English into Russian or visa versa?"
    I'm no native English speaker, but as far as I know the phrase is vice versa.

And answer to this thread:
    What's the action? If it's a prospective customer filling out a form to request a free quote on a project they have, then that's same as a lead. If, by action, you mean getting a customer to order your service, and then you pay a flat fee or commission on that order, then it's a sale.

The way to track a sale in businesses like yours is to collect tracking data for affiliates and then manually adjust all the leads that turn into a sale. Because, it is more likely that the sale was closed in a offline manner, such as on the phone or in person.

The best way to do in your case, it seems, is to pay per lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    First a suggestion for correction, Geno.

On every language page you have this question:

"Need a text translated from English into Russian or visa versa?"
    I'm no native English speaker, but as far as I know the phrase is vice versa.
    Thank you so much for pointing this out, Sam! We'll get it corrected a.s.a.p.

The way to track a sale in businesses like yours is to collect tracking data for affiliates and then manually adjust all the leads that turn into a sale. Because, it is more likely that the sale was closed in a offline manner, such as on the phone or in person.

That's what it sounds like from everything mentioned above.

Thank you, everyone!

If anyone has anything else to add, please let me know. An affiliate program for that company will be started some time in the near future.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    if a request is made with a credit card payment or even a request for a more involved service, then that would be a cost-per-action if the person request that you translate a 50 page dissertation or whatever.
    Most (if not all) of such sales/contracts do close offline (with the actual bill sent to the client after the translation is submitted and accepted), Rhia; and that is why I am wondering how an affiliate program can be transparent to the "affiliates" part of it, rewarding them for the contracts brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    As above. Or as would be the case with the longer B2B sales cycle, COMMUNICATE with affiliates as to the stage in the sales process, and set a CPA based on the actual event. Perhaps throw a small lead nugget up front, but pay a percentage based on closed business.
    and
    Noth, Sam or anyone else, paying per SALE in this business can be extremely profitable for affiliates. I mean, often even more profitable than selling stuff for wholesale suppliers. Rhia mentioned a 50 page dissertation above. That is not a large size for a PhD dissertation, but still... Let's use it as an example here. 1 page in size 12 font translates into 360-470 words. Cost per word these days (depending on the language pair; and we work with close to 200 different languages and over 1000 language pairs) ranges from $0.07 to $0.18 per word (I'm not talking rare languages here). Let's take averages:

1 page = 400 words
    1 word = $0.125

Each page will then cost $50.00 to translate. That multiplied by 50 = $2500.00.

BUT dissertations are not your most popular "source texts". We translate telecommunications user manuals (ranging from 100,000.00 to 200,000.00 words), have yearly contracts with governmental agencies (involving tranlations of 700k - 1 mln words a year), etc, etc. Would you want to beat a bit for that LARGER cake?

If you do, and have suggestions on how sales may be tracked, PM me or post your thoughts here. I am seriously thinking of starting a good affiliate program for an established translation business.

"The best" or the easiest?

Geno

Easiest If there's good tracking, who wouldn't prefer CPA?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

...If there's good tracking, who wouldn't prefer CPA?
    SO. Any ideas on the "good tracking" for things like this. I mean, do we have affiliates of accounting firms, translation companies, other service-providing businesses here? Do they all pay only for clicks and/or "leads" (however conditional that is) or does anyone actually pay per action (read: contract)?

Geno

Check your email...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Check your email...
    Got it. Not much info tho'. Keep me posted, Noth!

Thanks,

Geno

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread