A question about markets with a lack of affiliate programs
    I've recently stumbled across a product/service that I think i'd like to set up a site for, however i'm curious about the utter lack of affiliate programs. This product gets searched about 30-50 different ways, the top two of which report roughly 2500 searches in Wordtracker - yet so far i've only found one merchant at CJ, who only offers one facet of this product. I've also done a google search and ran across about 30 merchant sites, only one of which offers an affiliate program. I've also never heard of, nor can I find anyone targetting this sort of product with an affiliate site.

Aside from the lack of options, what else might this scenerio imply? Can this be a good thing in the sense that theres a definate market for a product, yet so little merchants offering affiliate programs?

I guess i'm unsure about whether I should be frustrated or excited here

Find a merchant that doesn't have an affiliate program and try to strike a deal with them (where either you create a 'relationship' with tracking, or they build a full fledged affiliate program accepting others, or go into a network etc).

Or try to find a merchant with an in-house affiliate program rather than through the networks (many do this)

Or, try more networks. There really are plenty of them out there, one might have a merchant selling the product you want.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Aside from the lack of options, what else might this scenerio imply? Can this be a good thing in the sense that theres a definate market for a product, yet so little merchants offering affiliate programs?
    I've found that it's either one of 2 things:

1) There is a small liklihood that the merchants in the category are just clueless, in which case, it can be lucrative if you can find one who's not.

2) There is a much larger liklihood that you've found a dud category. There are some categories with plenty of searches, but hardly any buyers. Either the buyers are just doing preliminary research, or maybe it's a category that people get curious about. If the search term is for some kind of an oddity, expect lots and lots of dud clicks from people who just want to gawk.

I'd test it with a single page, before investing any serious time in it. In my experience, unfortunately, when merchants aren't going all-out to sell a product, it's usually because of Reason #2.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Man, you guys respond quick over here. I think I might have to stick around

Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    Find a merchant that doesn't have an affiliate program and try to strike a deal with them (where either you create a 'relationship' with tracking, or they build a full fledged affiliate program accepting others, or go into a network etc).
    I thought of the possiblity of doing this, so i'll have to research more into actually going about it. Any standards/ideas/methods you might know of offhand would be appreciated.

Or try to find a merchant with an in-house affiliate program rather than through the networks (many do this)
    Yeah, I did a google search and ran around every merchant within 12 pages and only one had an affiliate program.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I've found that it's either one of 2 things:

1) There is a small liklihood that the merchants in the category are just clueless, in which case, it can be lucrative if you can find one who's not.

2) There is a much larger liklihood that you've found a dud category. There are some categories with plenty of searches, but hardly any buyers. Either the buyers are just doing preliminary research, or maybe it's a category that people get curious about. If the search term is for some kind of an oddity, expect lots and lots of dud clicks from people who just want to gawk.

I'd test it with a single page, before investing any serious time in it. In my experience, unfortunately, when merchants aren't going all-out to sell a product, it's usually because of Reason #2.
    The product would be unfamiliar/odd to mass consumers, but it's a mandatory purchase for people in the production of another industry. Everyone uses a certain stuff, but to make that stuff you need to buy this. The people who are searching for this term are very likely to already have a need for it, and will inevitably end up purchasing it one way or another. It's also very wise to purchase it online, for more then one reason. Also, the resources of information for this product are almost entirely limited to the merchants themselves.

what about you being the merchant\ distributor ?
    make a deal with a manufacturer.
    and set-up your own program
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

A few other potential sources for affiliate links on obscure items:

1) Check Amazon.com. They sell almost everything.

2) Check Shop.com. They sell items from thousands of stores.

3) Check Yahoo Shopping and contact the merchant directly. Merchants there can do a "tracked link". The reporting is basically non-existent, but tracking is rock solid.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    what about you being the merchant\ distributor ?
    make a deal with a manufacturer.
    and set-up your own program
    Not a bad idea, I suppose it could be more lucrative. I guess my only contention is that i've invested quite a bit of time into learning the affiliate angle. If things turn out well however that might be the next logical step up.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    A few other potential sources for affiliate links on obscure items:

1) Check Amazon.com. They sell almost everything.

2) Check Shop.com. They sell items from thousands of stores.

3) Check Yahoo Shopping and contact the merchant directly. Merchants there can do a "tracked link". The reporting is basically non-existent, but tracking is rock solid.
    Whoa. I was shocked to find the product in Yahoo Shopping - I even found another merchant offering an affiliate program. Thats a huge help there, thanks.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread