Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Strange calls re: domain names
    I got another call yesterday regarding one of my domain names... I've gotten others & I still cannot figure out what they way or who they are! Their English is hard to understand & that's one reason, but this is basically what I'm told each time they've called..... They're calling regarding my domain registration, but they don't represent, nor are they associated with my current or past registrars, or any other registrar for that matter, and they are not selling me anything, but want to confirm my information to send me something, but they won't say what exactly. I can only assume that they're the same people that solicit me through my PO Box for other domains wanting me to pay 10x as much to reregister through them (do they actually get people to do this!?!?). Anyway, each time these people have called, they're pretty rude & I actually got the last one to say "WTF??" before correcting himself... They won't tell me where they got my information. They insist that they represent themselves. They won't send anything through my registrar. They won't send me their request in writing. They try to sound official (aside from the rudeness and swearing). And I just remembered that the last guy got the domain name slightly wrong... Next time, I'll have to sit down and collect their information - they've always called when I was too busy to do anything about it...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Private registration can help stop that.

I had a domain with E-nom and I started to get letters from rip-off registrars who would have charged 4x the amount I pay 1 & 1 months before the renewal was due.

At that point I initiated the transfer to 1 & 1 and I am glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    I got another call yesterday regarding one of my domain names... I've gotten others & I still cannot figure out what they way or who they are! Their English is hard to understand & that's one reason, but this is basically what I'm told each time they've called.....
    Hang up the phone within 30 seconds.

Rhia7 - "Private registration can help stop that. "

You mean domains by proxy.. private registrations..?

That is for thieves and scam artists...
    Always register your domain and give the correct info...
    IMHO

----------

Celicaphile - Get as much information as possible.. then tell them that you are on the DONOTCALL LIST and if they call you again.. you will turn them in..
    That usually stops them in their tracks.. because it is a hefty fine to be soliciting anything to anyone on the do not call list...

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler

IMHO
    Registering a domain usually means that your personal contact information is displayed on the Internet for anyone to see... register your domain privately, so your name, address, and phone number remain confidential.

* Private domain registration is FREE with 1&1! Many registrars charge extra for this service.
    * Stop spammers, telemarketers, data miners, and anyone else who might misuse your personal data.
    * Deter identity theft and fraud.

If someone has a legitimate legal issue with my site, they can contact 1 & 1 & 1&1 will contact me.

Celicaphile - Get as much information as possible..
    That takes too long.
    My Mother was always way too nice to telemarketers on the phone and I told her to hang-up as quickly as possible. Once because she was on the phone too long she got "slammed over" to a different telephone company & that created problems.

I received the same call a couple of days ago. After getting off the phone, it left my head spinning. I kept thinking about it the rest of the day. Iím not sure who in the hell it was, but they are very hard to understand, and it was very annoying! Iím not even sure how they got my cell phone number. I did not give them any info, that is not already available on the web. But it still bugs me.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Screen your telephone calls either with CallerID or an answering service/machine.

Rhia7 - "Registering a domain usually means that your personal contact information is displayed on the Internet for anyone to see... register your domain privately, so your name, address, and phone number remain confidential."

That should be a RED FLAG for any merchant program or network..
    If I were an AM.. it would be a red flag for me.. because so many "EVIL DOERS" Register their names privately..

NOT THAT YOU ARE AN EVIL DOER.. Because I Don't Think You Are.. But it is the way THEY do business...

ABW Ambassador
    I only use domains by proxy for sites where I fear someone might be offended & harass my family or myself... Anything else, I don't try to hide, especially my web design service's site, which houses one of my portfolios - that happens to be the domain they were contacting me about.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Celicaphile--

CallerID is what I'd use for that. If number = theirs (or blocked), then voice mail = yes! If they end up talking to the wall enough, they should give up. And even if they don't, just erase their messages...

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    I only use domains by proxy for sites where I fear someone might be offended & harass my family or myself...
    I've got it on one site for the same reason.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

LOL, are you serious, what do you call people who have unlisted phone numbers?

I placed all my domains into private registration, the registrar has all my contact info, the scummers, scammer and spammers don't.

Rhia7 - "Registering a domain usually means that your personal contact information is displayed on the Internet for anyone to see... register your domain privately, so your name, address, and phone number remain confidential."

That should be a RED FLAG for any merchant program or network..
    If I were an AM.. it would be a red flag for me.. because so many "EVIL DOERS" Register their names privately..

NOT THAT YOU ARE AN EVIL DOER.. Because I Don't Think You Are.. But it is the way THEY do business...
    How much would you like to bet that the folks at CJ and LS think I am a single, young female?

That's right, guys, PM me if you'd like to take me out to a restaurant or movie or something :

I registered with my residential details. I'm more closely related to the "Joe Webmaster" described in a different thread.
    I can create sites that draw audiences from the USA, UK, Canada & Europe & so I started to affiliate back in 1999 -- I haven't become wealthy yet.
    I privately register my domains because I am the sole webmaster and I don't want phone calls from strangers or stalkers.

Now a business, let's say "SHOES R NECESSSARY" or "SHINGLES N ROOFS" should register with verifiable details.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    All my domains have private registration. My top priorities in my web presence are my privacy and my reputation. I am not a business, I'm an individual who works out of my home, and I don't think it's necessary for anyone to know where I live.

All you have to do is run into one sociopath on the web and it gives a whole new meaning to the word "privacy."

ABW Ambassador

IMHO
    from my own experience with thieves, they don't go as far as private/proxy registrations.

these folks don't know anything. they are all morons. their thievery is already an admission on their part that they know nothing.

and they have no concscience or ethics as to hide their activities.

and since they didn't really do any work, they have become cocky and blatant, just like the hacker mentality.

i am just glad that a few of them are now going to jail for their greed. it's just a start. many will follow.

ABW Ambassador
    Get a P. O. Box, that's what they're for... If I were in the market for a web site and I came across a web designer & they had all their info hidden, I wouldn't trust them. I don't trust a lot of sites whose owners choose to hide all their information, but I can understand why certain ones do... For the average shmoe, it probably does more harm than good, reputation-wise... for anyone who wants the appearance of being a real company and not an average shmoe, I don't see it doing any good whatsoever. And that is why I'm not worried about hiding behind a proxy for the sites where my privacy is a concern and looking like a legitimate company is not.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

None of my sites have private registration.

The phone call was sure only about the domain name, because the name they asked me about, was one I purchased and have done nothing with yet.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yeah. Get a PO Box and a voicemail #

Google penalises hidden domain registration info.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert

Google gives one domain top billing.
    Another domain *still* lags behind the original subdomain sites I had

Both have private registration.

Where did you learn this?

I have both private and public registrations. My private are recent so those sites haven't hit it yet. I don't want my information out there. I have a p.o. box but I've been a victim of crime and I know how scandalous people can get so I'm moving towards putting all my domains under private. People that I want to do business with will have my contact info, they don't have to scrape it from a domain registration.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Where did you hear that? My main website holds the number 1 ranking for several highly competitive keywords and my domain has a private registration. Google penalises for hidden text but not for hidden domain registration information.

Are you referring to Adsense or ranking within the search engine?

I haven't enrolled in Adsense (yet but I am not convinced that I would want to)

do you have caller display? or a * option (cant remember what number it is) to see who it was that called? if they dont tell who they are then i would clearly think they are up to no good.... but what exactly are they up to

"Google penalises hidden domain registration info."

It might seem that way, but I dont think so. A lot of the results that come up high in the SERPs are large legitimate companies (which have no reason to hide their info) vs. one person sites.

I'm sure Google would love to discover, index, and store EVERYTHING they can find out about a site and its owner though....

As far as crooks hiding their info. I'm sure a lot of them do, but they could easily go the P.O. Box, Pre-paid cellphone route too. Plus don't the private reg. companies have to give up their members info during a criminal investigation? This info can also be pulled from your ISP I believe. Tracing IP #s, ftp uploads etc.
    Last edited by simcat; February 4th, 2006 at 03:19 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    They called my cell phone (my main #) and the caller ID showed "Private" or whatever it says...

Quote Originally Posted by zibzer
    do you have caller display? or a * option (cant remember what number it is) to see who it was that called? if they dont tell who they are then i would clearly think they are up to no good.... but what exactly are they up to
    Hi, I'm a signature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast