Domain extentions
    Has anyone here bothered to add the extentions .net -.info - .biz or -.tv to their domain names? Is there any value?

Talking
    I use .net

Never cared for the other ones you listed.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I kinda thought it would add to ones domain name value if you added these extentions.
    I just did and maybe I made the wrong call here. I also thought it would help stop some of the copycats who use these extentions hoping to score in the SE's

my understanding is that that money may be better spent extending your domain registration, to prove the site...should be around for a while.

I've used a few .net extensions when I wanted a word in the domain name. I don't know of any bounus for owning extra extensions for a single name, aside from brand protection.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I have 30 or so .tv domains. Most of which are related to 'tv' in some fashion or the other. Some examples of what I will be developing shortly, PlasmaDisplay.tv , ExercisePrograms.tv, KnifeShow.tv , KidFriendly.tv , etc.....

I have quite a few .us that do rather well, .net, too. As far as type-ins go, you can't beat .com, but as far as seo goes, I think several tlds are acceptable.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

No I never bought any .net or .org domains, regardless of how popular my websites are. I had some scum competitors buy the .net .org or .co.uk versions of my domains. Really stupid on their behalf as they never re-registered them. Even when they became available again I never bothered to register them.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Some of the registrars push the "lock your name up in all TLD's line" but it's a scam really.

If youve got the .com, there's no need to have any of the others.

If someone else regs one of them its only because they're jealous of you.

Drewbert- Maybe, if you have a brand rather a generic keyword. But I disagree in regards to generic keywords, there's quite a few opportunities in the lesser known domains.

I have a set of com, net, org domains that I've been holding on to for a whole bunch of years. I haven't actually gotten around to doing anything useful with them, and I'm frankly a little surprised nobody's made me an offer for them.

After all the years of holding them I'll probably never get my investment back out of them. But it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

MissDonna..... you could try listing them at afternic.com or greatdomains.com....

This is really a great question, one I've literally played with for a few years and think I've got a good position on it.

First let me say that what Drewbert says is correct as in a US type offering, but once you go international, you'll need to make sure it's yours because trying to get it from a wanker in another country is next to impossible if not beyond ridiculously expensive.

If the impetus for the domain is purely affiliate based I'd say stay .com or .net. You can however still do .cc or .biz and maybe .us but you have to realize that the most memorable is .com and you will loose traffic to the person who owns the .com.

That said, some URLs just sound better as a .net and the .com would be secondary but that's on a case by case basis and approached only if you know to play the name game in marketing.

Now, if you plan on launching something, anything, it really doesn't matter what it is, you will need to secure the usual domains - .com, .net, .org, .info, us, .cc, .biz, .ws, .co.uk such that copiers don't steal or work off your thunder during the formative stages and then will only end up costing time and money not needed in the future as you grow and need to solidify your brand.

If the product / service is universal and has the potential for international marketing, you want to talk to a TM and internet branding lawyer for the international versions, but to be safe, get the .co.uk just in case.

Bottom line is a domain bought today is much cheaper than time or money wasted later because of improper planning today, just know what you need is with the domain before searching for availability or buying the domain.

HTH.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

O.K. If you where going to buy a new domain, and the subject you wanted would be xxx xxx, would you buy xxx xxx xxx.com or xxx xxx.net which would you choose?
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    O.K. If you where going to buy a new domain, and the subject you wanted would be xxx xxx, would you buy xxx xxx xxx.com or xxx xxx.net which would you choose?
    I would choose .com if it were available and offered at a similar price.
    I think web surfers still think .com

On the other hand, an example of a popular .net would be:
    http://www.freewebspace.net/

it's very popular & it's a .net
    So that would be a good second

If the prices are the same, go with .com
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I would choose .com if it were available and offered at a similar price.
    So you would pick .com, even if it was a longer domain name with an extra word than the .net
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    So you would pick .com, even if it was a longer domain name with an extra word than the .net
    I didn't notice the extra word

I saw xxx xxx.com or xxx xxx.net

it's midnight where I am & I am not scrutinizing text

you have to think what sounds better & what looks better

If you think an extra word is chunky/clunky then don't go for it.

Something like http://www.freewebspace.net has been immensely popular for years, so if you use .net it could be popular

I prefer .com if prices are equal -- but if wording gets clunky I might go with .net
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread