Does google care if youre .com or .net?
    in terms of how youre listed in the natural search engine, not in terms if your paid adwords.

I mean, im not spamming here, but if I type gifts into google, the first site is gifts.com, and I dont see gifts.net anywhere.

I'm asking because so many good .com names are taken, but the .nets are available, but I dont want to use .net if its hard to get listed.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I wouldn't think google would care. People use .com because it's easier to brand. If people only remember the name of the site and not the extension, then they will assume it is .com .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I didn't know Google cared (as in feelings)

Okay, who's spot on with new algorithm technology?

These sites might help:

ABW Ambassador
    Extension does not matter unless you are a .gov or .edu - though .com's are more common but it has no relation to your rankings. All you need is good content and relevant links.

Try doing a search for whois at google, you'll find many .nets and one domain with extension as .sc in the top listings. It ranks purely because of its popularity not because of the extension.

Hope that helps
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I can't remember seeing a .net domain listed first for any search term. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I visted a .net domain. Can you?

Since the extension (.com, .net or whatever) doesn't matter, how does Google (and the rest of the search engines) treat subdomains. Would widgets.gadgets.com be considered the same domain as gadgets.com and suffer the same penalties (such as affiliate link hating) or the same ranking as the parent domain?

I would never own anything but a .com there are plenty of names still out there
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    I have a lot of .nets and they rank pretty good, but then again I just did a search for a term that should have brought up one of my popular .net domains and it brought up 3 of my .coms that LINK to the .net instead of the .net directly...... interesting!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I have a lot of .nets and they rank pretty good, but then again I just did a search for a term that should have brought up one of my popular .net domains and it brought up 3 of my .coms that LINK to the .net instead of the .net directly...... interesting!!!!
    I did a search for one of my blogs and BLOGSHARES comes up prior to my actual blog (it's a .com -- I'm not sure why that would happen).

Someone else said that ".net" doesn't affect the ranking. Another person pointed out the popularity of .coms and if they are so popular in the public mind, why go for anything else?

If a good name is available in .net you might just want to go for the domain with the good beginning name

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I would never own anything but a .com there are plenty of names still out there
    Yes there are & you can search for recently deleted domains here:
    http://www.justdropped.com/

theres a very specific phrase that gets searched on often, and its not available in .com, but it is available in .net.

Quote Originally Posted by grove
    theres a very specific phrase that gets searched on often, and its not available in .com, but it is available in .net.
    Well, people have been trying to give you good information

You have to make the decision, we can't make it for you.

If I had a site all about cats and cat.com was taken but cat.net was available, that might be good.

If your word is a trademarked tradename, stay clear from it unless you own the trade name.

.com or .net is up to you -- flip a quarter if you have to -- sleep on it

Talking
    Most of my domains are .net and I get just as many #1 search engine listings as .com does.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread