Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Has Adsense made Affiliate Marketing easier ?
    For those into AM earlier than adsense had started, what has been the experience so far ?

Since adsense has been launched, has it made things easier for you as an affiliate marketeer or it is more difficult now ?

Care to share?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I really don't consider AdSense to have anything to do with affiliate marketing. To me, affiliate marketing is promoting merchants and products and getting paid a percent of sales. With AdSense, you just put the code up, they pick what you promote, and you get paid per click. It's more like using a banner network than affiliate marketing, IMHO.

I know many would disagree with me, though. That's evident when you consider that 34% of ABWers chose AdSense as the best "affiliate program" for 2005!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I really don't consider AdSense to have anything to do with affiliate marketing... With AdSense, you just put the code up, they pick what you promote, and you get paid per click. It's more like using a banner network than affiliate marketing, IMHO.
    I agree with Michael. I've been an affiliate with LS & CJ since 1999.
    I don't use Adsense on any of my sites or blogs.
    I don't feel that other people's use of Adense have had an effect on me.

ABW Ambassador
    Easier. When sites fall off the map in updates/design/whatever, stick some adsense on and they go back to earning that way until i have time for them again. Also some sites that are seasonal earn better during the lean months with adsense than affiliate programs.

Test things, track things, analyze and then decide. It is not brain surgery to take traffic and compare with or without adsense - what are your earnings?

I am not sure why some people are proud that they will not look and experiment with any way to make more money as long as it is honest. I don't have some definition i hole myself in and refuse to look around. I have been doing this far too long to not at least experiment with new ideas to see if they work for me.

For amazing-bargains.com, I will give you, it probably wouldn't make sense.

As for Rhia7, I am not sure why someone who has continually posted how they don't make that much money, but have been doing this 7 years wouldn't be willing to experiment to see what might work for them. But then again, the two are probably connected...

Chet

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with AdSense or that it isn't hosnest or it won't earn money. I'm just saying it's not affiliate marketing.

I use AdSense on some sites (and even some pages of Amazing-Bargains.com). It has its place.

As for the original question, I would say that it hasn't made affiliate marketing easier. Chet's right that it makes pages with merchants that no longer perform well easier to monetize. On the other hand, it's created a lot of competition for SEO which I think more than offets the benefits.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

adsense is not related to affiliate marketing in any way at all. It is a totally different way to make money online.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Adsense may be related in this indirect way: By providing more places for adwords ads to run it should theoretically make adwords advertising more viable for the small affiliate marketer.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I guess it could be stated as we've stated in many times on ABW... IT's not affiliate marketing, but it's a nice safety net if you're building a site for a product/category when you're not sure if you can get conversions... (based on the merchant, the product, your site design, et al.)
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Of course, I realise that adsense has nothing to do with affiliate marketing I am only a few months old in aff business but I have been doing seo for several years and been around a couple of years with adsense.
    But here I was talking for it being easier in some other aspects which I mention below :

1. Since more people are interested in adsense now, they don't focus much on affiliate marketing - so does it make things easier for you as you get less competition for your affiliate sites ?
    2. You also get several content sites to advertise on at cheap cost - does it make things easier for you to advertise your affiliate site ?

I am sorry as this was the easier thing I was mentioning which I failed to clarify in my original post.
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

There are some areas (luxury items) where conversion rates are notoriously low and PPC bids are notoriously high.

This is where Adsense comes in. If somebody is not interested in buying the item(s) that you present to them, you may as well take the opportunity to get paid for some of the exit traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    May not be "affiliate marketing" but Adsense and Affiliate Marketing is making money online. Traffic in, traffic out. Who's paying you the most for your traffic per click? Figure it out, could be a merchant, could be Adsense, could be something else. You have traffic, send it to whoever is willing to pay you the most for it.

I also have been affiliate marketing since 1999. When CJ started Pay for Performance, that was when I started making the big money up until I was penalized by google in 12/2004. I do use Adsense but it does not convert as well for me.

Tami

Quote Originally Posted by Tami
    I started making the big money up until I was penalized by google
    Is that referring to a shift in rank or to some type of sanction/penalty?

In other words, shifts in rank are natural -- your statement makes it look as if Google specifically targeted you.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 5th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

"In other words, shifts in rank are natural -- your statement makes it look as if Google specifically targeted you."

I got hit in the google update: 12/2004. I was doing great up until then and then it was as if google turned off the google traffic faucet. Since then I slowly lost all my page rank (which was 4/5) down to all pages white bar. My traffic for the whole year of 2005 slowly continued to decline no matter what I did. I actually got hit by google in August 2004 but did recoop for Christmas somewhat and then hit again after Christmas and have not yet regained my previous positions in the SERPS. Pretty much the only sales I now make are through my regulars which is a 10th of what it was last year. I was in the top 40,000 sites according to Alexa 12/2004, now in the 700,000. It is very depressing.

Tami

Tami, at least it was a Google upgrade and nothing personal.

There is another thread about a company that annoyed Google with "entry pages" and some other things so that Google bans the company.
    Google has not targeted you in any way but its new focus has "left you behind" in a way (according to what you wrote).

It was a business shift ... there's not much I can do for you except tell you that I appreciate your story ... I'm sorry to say that I am not part of the inner circle at Google, but perhaps with analysis you can figure out where the action is/will be and go on from there.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    Since more people are interested in adsense now, they don't focus much on affiliate marketing - so does it make things easier for you as you get less competition for your affiliate sites ?
    Not really. Most of the ones shifting from affiliate marketing to AdSense weren't really good at affiliate marketing anyway, so there's no real impact there. And even with many affiliates moving to AdSense, affiliate marketing is still growing by leaps and bounds. There's definitely not less competition out there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Not really. Most of the ones shifting from affiliate marketing to AdSense weren't really good at affiliate marketing anyway, so there's no real impact there. And even with many affiliates moving to AdSense, affiliate marketing is still growing by leaps and bounds. There's definitely not less competition out there.
    Thanks Michael. This was the answer I was looking for I had thought probably easier was the case but your answer tells me that it is still a game where you have to fight out to be the winner - no easy deals
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up
    btw, is there any rep system here , Michael ? where I can give you positive points for your reply - like some forums has these days ?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Interesting question.

AdSense is certainly a way of *diversifying* your income, which is a good thing. We all know how a great money-making site can stop performing overnight. AdSense running on content sites will probably not make you rich, but it's definitely worth doing.

Although remember that the rules for AdSense are quite strict.. no "made for AdSense" pages, for example. Making an AdSense monetized page is not the same as a traditional affiliate-link monetized page.

The great thing about AdSense though is that you can make at least *some* income from just about any site. You can even go back and monetize sites that you've had for some time.

There's a long-running ABW debate about "c*ntent sites" vs "sales sites". Sales sites - that is, sites with some ad spin that are targetted for a particular product - will earn you more per visitor than a "c*ntent" site with more "neutral" content. But it's generally easier to get (free) visitors to a c*ntent site. AdSense forms part of the overall strategy then because it works so well with content.

I don't know about other people, but at the moment AdSense covers my costs. It pays for my hosting and PPC advertising. This means that everything that I get from my affiliate sites is pure profit
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    The great thing about AdSense though is that you can make at least *some* income from just about any site.
    That's very true. There are some sites which may not make any income with affiliates commissions no matter how much traffic you bring (the reason it happens could be any - a bad product, a bad merchant or poor conversions) but the same site can give you at least some adsense money if you've got traffic.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Its very easy to earn money with Adsense, but is very difficult to earn large sum of money from it. Love Affiliate Marketing, no more small checks. I love fat checks

But the absolutely key thing with AdSense is to play by the rules. That's really very important.. there are things that are "acceptable" in affiliate marketing that are *not* acceptable to the AdSense program.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Adsense has created a bunch of crap sites
    Ever since AdSense came out for publishers, those scumbags that have created sites specifically for AdSense spam the engines with worthless crap pages just to get clicks. I wish AdSense, yahoo and the rest of them would dump the whole advertising for publishers and the search results would be much better for the consumer.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Or police it better, Poopie. I don't mind good webmasters making money with Adsense, but I agree that the garbage sites have to go... It's in AdSense's TOS, but they don't seem to have an effective way of enforcing it... probably because of the sheer volume of crap out there...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    Ever since AdSense came out for publishers, those scumbags that have created sites specifically for AdSense spam the engines with worthless crap pages just to get clicks. I wish AdSense, yahoo and the rest of them would dump the whole advertising for publishers and the search results would be much better for the consumer.
    I think you are missing the word some, as in the minority. And to penalize the whole because of bad actions of the minority is never a wise choice, if it was sound logic, we would shut down all affiliate programs because a few spammers.

Chet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast