Question Are URL Submission Sites A Gimmick?
    Or should I sign up with one? Any suggestions? Thanks.

You mean pay to submit?

Don't do that. I recently gave someone a free url, let me find it ...

See this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...742#post530742

You can always manually submit to the big engines too, but first see above.

Read Search Engine submit tips here:

http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/

If you want, all you need to do is manually submit to Google and any other big search engine you'd like.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 5th, 2006 at 12:09 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    You don't have to submit sites at all. The engines find sites through links, so just get a few inbound links and you're good to go.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Are URL Submission Sites A Gimmick?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    You don't have to submit sites at all. The engines find sites through links, so just get a few inbound links and you're good to go.
    Sorry, what does "get a few inbound links" mean? The "inbound links" especially.

Thanks.

--
    [MANUAL SIGNATURE REMOVED]
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; February 8th, 2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: MANUAL SIGNATURE REMOVED

ABW Ambassador
    Other sites linking to yours.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Other sites linking to yours.
    I know this may sound dumb, but uh, how do I do that? AdBrite, AdWords, or something like that? Or do you mean something else? Free

Thank you again.

--
    [MANUAL SIGNATURE REMOVED]
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; February 8th, 2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: MANUAL SIGNATURE REMOVED

I started out by finding sites that were similar to my own.
    Then I sent an email asking them to do a link swap with my site.

I would already have their link up and send the linked page URL along in the email.

It worked great.
    Once your site gets crawled the bots and spiders will be back, just be sure to update with fresh content to keep those crawls coming back.

Good luck
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I know this may sound dumb, but uh, how do I do that? AdBrite, AdWords, or something like that? Or do you mean something else? Free
    I've found the best way to get inbound links is to build something useful and innovative. Follow a niche and find a demand that needs to be filled in your niche. Fill this need and help direct people to your site with non-spammy marketing techniques. For example, del.icio.us, digg.com and technorati are great ways to get your site out there. Choose some relevant keywords for your pages and input them into these sites. You just may get some traffic and get tagged by other users. Bottom line is you really need to stand out among the competition and provide a service that is extremely useful and helpful. Consider the sites you use on a daily basis and try to reach that level of quality.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    I started out by finding sites that were similar to my own.
    Then I sent an email asking them to do a link swap with my site.
    If you do this, spend a little time (say, 3-5 mins) looking around their site before you send them an email.

Sometimes you will find a contact form or an alternate email address that the site owner prefers to recieve email at.

Most (like 99.8%) of the email I recieve off my domain listing or 'webmaster@' emails are spam. With most of the link & affiliate requests I get to these addresses, I note that they are generally formletters and their sites don't have any relevance to my site whatsoever.

I'm much more likely to respond to a link request sent to the email address fairly blatantly marked out on my sites than to the 'webmaster@' address.
    “An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.” - G.K. Chesterton

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by FFoc
    If you do this, spend a little time (say, 3-5 mins) looking around their site before you send them an email.

Sometimes you will find a contact form or an alternate email address that the site owner prefers to recieve email at.

Most (like 99.8%) of the email I recieve off my domain listing or 'webmaster@' emails are spam. With most of the link & affiliate requests I get to these addresses, I note that they are generally formletters and their sites don't have any relevance to my site whatsoever.

I'm much more likely to respond to a link request sent to the email address fairly blatantly marked out on my sites than to the 'webmaster@' address.
    So I need a fancy .gif banner or something or do I just ask for a text link? Do you respond more to people that write the email in "normal" tone or when it sounds all super professional and business like or somewhere in between?

I have seen several sites that are obviously starting up. For example, they may have a forum, but there's not a lot of users on it, so they may be more likely to do the link exchange (if that's what it's called).

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've found the best way to get inbound links is to build something useful and innovative. Follow a niche and find a demand that needs to be filled in your niche. Fill this need and help direct people to your site with non-spammy marketing techniques. For example, del.icio.us, digg.com and technorati are great ways to get your site out there. Choose some relevant keywords for your pages and input them into these sites. You just may get some traffic and get tagged by other users. Bottom line is you really need to stand out among the competition and provide a service that is extremely useful and helpful. Consider the sites you use on a daily basis and try to reach that level of quality.

- Scott
    Tell me if this is crazy. I thought about approaching some of the larger companies that might be interested in my site and telling them they can purchase advertising for $5.00 for 14 - 30 days on a given page. That seems like it would be some really cheap advertising for them.

Of course, there's not a lot of people that go to my site (yet ), so they may not want to do it.

Then I got to thinking, what if they did want to advertise? How would I get paid? I don't have a way to get money beside paypal. I can't imagine a successful website doing that (don't know why. just can't). Makes me think I would have to stick to AdBrite or some other middleman that can handle that part of it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; February 9th, 2006 at 07:58 AM. Reason: sig again :rolleyes:

johnny,

Please stop manually adding your sig, it has already been removed multiple times in this thread alone. Action will be taken.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    johnny,

Please stop manually adding your sig, it has already been removed multiple times in this thread alone. Action will be taken.
    I would be happy to stop. I had no idea it was wrong. I saw others on here that had URLs, so I put mine.

I thought the message in red up top was for affiliate programs, recruiters, not my website. Sorry.

I need help in finding the best way of selling some of my websites. Does anyone have any suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.
    Cora

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread