How Old is the AM Concept+Implementation?
    A thought occured to me...

Some would say that it all started with Amazon.com launching its "associates" program back in July 1996.

I think that the concept and implementation of it is much much older than that. Don't you? Any guesses of what I'm thinking about?

Geno

Geno,

I can remember Mother Poopie and her tupperware parties and that comes to my mind... what's left of it.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    One of the first things I read about the history of affiliate marketing:
    http://www.clickz.com/experts/archiv...cle.php/832131

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I started with Amazon.... that shoved me to Linkshare in 1997. Talk about a Loaded on the side of the merchants period. Those days Zero cookie days, piss poor creatives, no merchant interior landing pages, $100 minimums with quarterly payouts was the norm. I started getting on the networks and merchants to drop the Adwhore crapolla starting in 1998.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I started with a music program, I think it was CD Now, long before I ever heard of Amazon. You could get paid once you had $100 credit, or you could spend it in their store.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

15 years and counting
    I made money in affiliate marketing before Amazon during 1995. You had to trust the merchants for paying you. We were already talking about affiliation but but there was no real reporting. I joined Amazon in 1996, first with tracking and reporting. Then ClickTrade in 1997 (acquired by LinkExchange, then bcentral, then MS), LinkShare in 1997 too. CJ in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    A thought occured to me...

Some would say that it all started with Amazon.com launching its "associates" program back in July 1996.

I think that the concept and implementation of it is much much older than that. Don't you? Any guesses of what I'm thinking about?
    Being swamped with other (more hectic and time-consuming) things, I have totally forgotten about this thread. My apologies... My thought was a parallel between the affiliate marketing concept and the cc payments (how merchants end up paying the % to cc issuer) concept. And that idea was born back in 1958 with the BankAmericard... Just a thought (for what it's worth)... Thanks for sharing your thoughts too!

Zeus' experience is definitely something...

Geno

None of you remember the affiliate programs Microsoft use to run. They were around before Amazon.com what was it called ClickExchange or something, They use to also have a banner exchange network and a counter. But MS got rid of it because of a lot of False Clicking. I think the web page counter is still around.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread