Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Snapnames Success
    A domain I have been watching for the past couple of months went on auction 3 days ago at snapnames. There were 3 big parking/portal companies also bidding, these companies buy domains for tens of thousands like christ.net which sold for $18k and canadiangirls.com which sold for over $12k. I was skeptical of actually acquiring this domain. The auction intensified in the last 20 minutes, being a smaller player I wanted to give these guys a run for their money. The bidding increased from $200 to $2,000 in 20 minutes, after a thousand refreshes in the last minute my bid of $2,000 stuck and I won the domain, I'm so delighted as I will actually develop this domain as it compliments my line of work. My hands are still shaking

Wow. Congratulations on a major purchase, JJJay! Best of luck developping it!! Glad you didn't have to bid four or five times as much...

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Errrr...congrats, I guess...

<--wouldn't even spend $20 on a domain
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    congrats too for getting what you really want.

i actually had to bid the past week but got turned off when at least one other fellow made a high bid immediately. the thing is, i suspect these fellows are just insiders trying to jack up the price. and should nobody bid after that, the winner will be the last person before them. i said, naah, i'm not that deperate. it's not a common term, so they can waste their money on it, i'll just wait until they realize that. harharhar

Congrats on the purchase. May you multiply that amount quickly!
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >i suspect these fellows are just insiders trying to jack up the price

Nope, those guys are real bidders. Snap is 100% reliable, unlike some of the other auction systems.

Congrats on beating the BIG GUYS!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    >i suspect these fellows are just insiders trying to jack up the price

Nope, those guys are real bidders. Snap is 100% reliable, unlike some of the other auction systems.

Congrats on beating the BIG GUYS!
    If the bidding was gradual, i would believe that.

but when the last two bidders have bids 3 times as big as the one before them, that is an anomaly.

i suspect that they made it a one two punch to make their jackying less apparent.

and if they give the domain to the third highest bidder, they can simply say that the credit cards of the first two didn't pan out. it's is written in there.

i'm of course referring only to my own experience.

Congrats JJJay, I don't know if I would ever spend that much on a domain, but I hope it pays off in a big way for you.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been watching this domain for a long time, I wasn't ready to let it become a landing page.

I'm with Leader on this one... Unless your domain got mentioned on the Super Bowl tonight...

HOWEVER... if you think it's a smart investment, gratz, and get to work...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Wow.. that's a lot of money for a domain!

I think the most I've ever paid is $60 at Pool.com
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

well done JJJay.
    the cost is nothing to do with it.
    you wanted it, you got it
    I hope it brings you much more in return
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Good job JJJay! Last year, a snapnames auction sent me scrambling for the phone to my Visa, asking for an immediate increaee. They complied, and I maxxed it out within ten minutes, hehe.

I don't know what to think about Snapnames, had a bad, bad experience with them, where they auctioned off a domain that wasn't actually theirs to auction off. But, I've gotten some decent domains from there.

When people look at the cost of a domain, they really need to understand that the 'cost' must also reflect the gains you may receive due to easier SEO, type in profits, and niche dominance..... People will surely be more comfortable purchasing from bikes.com rather than 4bikesclickhere.com.....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

The way I see it, you have to spend money to make money. The domain name I purchased is an service that costs $50 a go, some competitors charge $150+. Last year I was getting 3+ orders a day. Now that I have the direct type in domain I can increase this and even outsource the work. For me it is a bargain that will pay itself back within weeks and I really do feel I got this domain on the cheap. Overture shows over 6500 searches for this term in December and other webmasters bid over $0.50 for this term in overture. I am a happy camper.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    The way I see it, you have to spend money to make money. The domain name I purchased is an service that costs $50 a go, some competitors charge $150+. Last year I was getting 3+ orders a day. Now that I have the direct type in domain I can increase this and even outsource the work. For me it is a bargain that will pay itself back within weeks and I really do feel I got this domain on the cheap. Overture shows over 6500 searches for this term in December and other webmasters bid over $0.50 for this term in overture. I am a happy camper.
    Sounds beautiful and it'll be a winner. WTG! Glad you stuck with it, JJ! Another round to the good guys!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Cool. Good luck Jay.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Congrats! for your expensive purchase.
    Whenever I need a domain, I purchase a new one for $8.34

ABW Ambassador
    i agree with you 100%. how big the price has nothing to do with it. it's the domain's market value that matters. or, if not that, the usability value. it seems that you have both. congrats on grabbing it.

it may look expensive but by not getting it you'll lose even more.

one trait of a winner is being decisive. you're the man!

The large domain landing page companies are millionaires for one reason. They buy domains with type in value, even though they never develop them more than placing a sponsor filled page. Some people on this thread seem to think I paid a lot of money for my domain. Look the following domain, canadiangirls.com, that company paid $12,750 for it. An overture search shows users search 3896 times for canadian girls. My search term gets double this amount in overture. The company who paid $12,750 for canadiangirls.com is nameadmininc.com, they own an extensive number of type in domains. Anybody using snapnames probably came across their username "benfranklin" they also bid on my domain, the following is taken from their website

"Websites such as PlumbingFixtures.com, eShopping.com or SavingMoney.com don't have the instant recognizability of a large destination site such as Yahoo or Google, but collectively, our network is so wide and compelling that it will be searched by nearly every person on the Internet, at least once in the next year."
    Last edited by JJJay; February 6th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    our network is so wide and compelling that it will be searched by nearly every person on the Internet, at least once in the next year."
    that one really bugs me. i know it's a million-dollar business, but one click or two or three or twenty doesn't even cover the cost of the domain. can it be ...

I like traffic lights
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    If the bidding was gradual, i would believe that.

but when the last two bidders have bids 3 times as big as the one before them, that is an anomaly.

i suspect that they made it a one two punch to make their jackying less apparent.

and if they give the domain to the third highest bidder, they can simply say that the credit cards of the first two didn't pan out. it's is written in there.

i'm of course referring only to my own experience.
    Nope. Sorry. That's legitimate bidders still.

These people are domain professionals and they have more money than you can point a stick at. They their max amount for each auction days in advance, and they have employees doing the bidding.

And since auctions at Snapnames get extended out another 5 minutes whenever anyone sends in a bid within the last few minutes of the auction, the auctions can get drawn out wuite a bit. I was in one and I gave up after it had been extended over 2 hours.

What they did is bump the auction up quickly to spook the little guys.

Nothing suspect about it. I say again, Snapnames is on the level with their auctions.

Like Drewbert said they are professionals. They review the domains in advance to the drop and research each domains type in traffic and back link traffic. They know the rates they will get for PPC links, some domains will not see a profit for a year or two but these guys are in it for the long term. Some of these guys are legends, one guy I was up against goes by the username Vaxis, he's the one who had me worried, his company is Vertical Axis based out of Hong Kong. I've visited domain forums and seen the following, "Who is Vaxis?", "I've heard somebody else say "and if you see Vaxis in the bidders, too bad", "I've yet to see vaxis lose a drop....does it happen?" Reminds me of that SNL sketch with the drunk business men in the bar telling tales about "Bill Brasky"...

ABW Ambassador
    Nope. Sorry. That's legitimate bidders still.

These people are domain professionals and they have more money than you can point a stick at. They their max amount for each auction days in advance, and they have employees doing the bidding.

And since auctions at Snapnames get extended out another 5 minutes whenever anyone sends in a bid within the last few minutes of the auction, the auctions can get drawn out wuite a bit. I was in one and I gave up after it had been extended over 2 hours.

What they did is bump the auction up quickly to spook the little guys.

Nothing suspect about it. I say again, Snapnames is on the level with their auctions.
    i smell fish from far away. that one's rotten. there are indeed professionals who play the field often like what you guys were up against. but what i was up against was very rotten. and you know, godaddy is also starting to nibble at this game but not as drawn out yet.
    Last edited by waytogo; February 6th, 2006 at 10:19 PM.

I like traffic lights
    Godaddy hasn't got enough registry connections to even come close to Snapnames success level.

And, BTW, the Vaxis guy is a cool dude. :^)

If you want to talk rotten, I think you'd be better off discussing eNom and Pool's auction systems, not Snapnames.

And, BTW, the Vaxis guy is a cool dude. :^)
    In what way? I'm not sure if he dozed off but his final bid for my domain was $1,999. Look at the amounts they paid for other domains I thought they would have gone a lot higher.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast