Something I dont understand about this business...
    Why is it that the conversion rates change so drastically when you send more traffic?

For example, Ill have a product that I spend $60 to promote and I made $140, so I say this is a good ad and a good product, Ill buy more clicks and more traffic.
    Then I do that and my profit goes way down to the point where IM about to break even, so I slow the traffic down again so I dont pay so much.

Why is this? If I have a profit when I send very little traffic then why cant I get a profit when I send more traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by grove
    Why is it that the conversion rates change so drastically when you send more traffic?

For example, Ill have a product that I spend $60 to promote and I made $140,
    You mean you have to spend money to put Adsense on your pages?
    I'd be too.

Why would anyone want to pay to put Adsense on their site? Is that would you are writing about?

How are you spending $60 to promote "a product?" Are you referring to hosting fees, what? When you talk about conversion rates, I think of Adsense.
    If that's not what you are referring to, say what you are
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Internet Cowboy
    Grove,
    Stick it out there and keep the increased spend up for a week or two. Think about return buyers. If you spend $60 today to drive 300 customers, a percentage of them will buy today and a percentage of them will buy within a week or so. When you increase the spend to $120, now you are driving 600 customers, some of which will not buy for a week or two.

Think about the return buyers, factor them in over time and you will see why your initial CR is lower, but it will catch up.

This is a great question and one that I toiled with for a long time before I tested it over time and convinced myself that my explanation is valid.

Look at your reports and determine how many of your customers buy in the first session and how many are buying later. This is where the secret is. Not sure who you are promoting, but if it is a merchant on CJ or SAS, the reports allow you to see the percentage of return days buyers.

Best of luck!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Are you not paying more per click to send the higher amount of traffic?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    You mean you have to spend money to put Adsense on your pages?
    I'd be too.

Why would anyone want to pay to put Adsense on their site? Is that would you are writing about?

How are you spending $60 to promote "a product?" Are you referring to hosting fees, what? When you talk about conversion rates, I think of Adsense.
    If that's not what you are referring to, say what you are
    no i dont use adsense, I use adwords

If your trying to extend out to the content sites, among the good sites are many scrapers that may reduce the effectiveness of your efforts.

I find that return visitors for what i'm selling are less than expected...depending on the advertiser it's not even enough to hedge returns.

Running break even myself...

If you are making $140 for $60 spent you may want to consider leaving that be and expanding into more obscure searches for your product. Increasing your bids on working phrases leads to those words costing you more for the same traffic. If you add on less competitive phrases you can increase the visitors you send across with out substantially increasing your spend.

Quote Originally Posted by grove
    no i dont use adsense, I use adwords
    Have you tried using Overture, I always found them to convert higher than adwords.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    For the merchant client's buying keywords I track, the conversion results for Adwords stays pretty steady over 2 years. Overture fluxuates widely and is often seasonal. Restrict the keywords buys to the SE sponsor listings only if the cost/keyword is over 50 cents.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread