Gift Vouchers
    This is kind of a hypothetical question, as nobody has yet purchased gift vouchers from our store, but what is the best way to apportion affiliate credit (if any) for purchases of gift vouchers.

The only fair way I can think is to not include them in the order total, and also not to include them in purchases made using them.

For example, suppose a customer orders $200 of gift vouchers (and nothing else), then I'd report a $0 order (well, I guess I wouldn't need to report anything)
    Suppose these are then used to make a $500 purchase, then I'd report a $300 sale total.
    Does this sound reasonable?

I can't really see an easy (or fair) way to credit affiliates for purchase and subsequent use of gift vouchers.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

I Disagree
    For example, suppose a customer orders $200 of gift vouchers (and nothing else), then I'd report a $0 order (well, I guess I wouldn't need to report anything)
    Suppose these are then used to make a $500 purchase, then I'd report a $300 sale total.
    Does this sound reasonable?
    I do not think this sounds reasonable.
    Why wouldn't the affiliate get credit for the $200 voucher? The affiliate who got that $200 voucher sold in the first place, should get that credited right away and the share-a-sale tracking should catch that through your shoppng cart.

When the voucher is used, your sales total on your shopping cart will show $300 which should be reported to share-a-sale as well.

Your affiliate should get credit for the entire $500!

Here is another scenario that can play out:
    A customer finds you directly through a search engine without an affiliate referal.....You sell the $200 voucher, and you do not pay commission to any affiliate.

When that customer goes to find you again, they may find you this time through an affiliate.....Then you pay commission on the $300. I have had many repeat customers that find me for the second or third time through affiliates...If a customer has a share-a-sale cookie, the affiliate deserves the commission!

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

How about if I credit an affiliate with a $200 voucher sale, but then the purchaser of the voucher gives it away to somebody else, and this person then goes via a different affiliate link and makes a $200 purchase with this voucher. The second affiliate will then get no commission, as I'm not going to pay commission twice on vouchers! This is unfair on the 2nd affiliate.

I don't entirely agree with your second scenario - I think that if a user purchases a voucher, it is likely to be used pretty quickly, and your site bookmarked or whatever. I'd think if the original purchaser then comes back via an affiliate link, then that is likely be "accidental", and do you think that paying a commission on the original gift voucher purchase in this case is entirely fair to the merchant? I'm not sure, when the affiliate had no hand in the original gift voucher sale.

I think the safest thing to do for now (as it is likely to be an extreme rarity) is to ignore vouchers, and should a purchase occur, apply manual commission if required.

I'd like to get other views if possible, from merchants and affiliates though.

Although actually, the first scenario is also highly unlikely, as anyone using gift vouchers will automatically get a direct link to the site, so affiliates will not come into the equation...

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread