WebMerge/ SEO?
    I've been thinking about getting WebMerge, to help me create pages instead of living in the dark ages, and still coding everything by hand. But I have heard that Google is going to start penalizing sites that have been created using site generation software. Has anyone else heard this, and how would it relate to WebMerge?
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Talking
    How could Google Know if your pages were made by webmerge or by hand.

It just copies and makes the pages a lot faster than you could by hand - and they look just exactly like they would if you did make them by hand.

If that was true - then all php sites would be penalized.

All php does is use a template and build pages server side - the exact same thing webmerge does - only it builds them for you in your computer and then you load them to your server.

All of my sites are webmerge built and I don't get penalized.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I was worried about it because I read this quote by a quote SEO Expert.

Search engines are cleaning up and de-listing a lot of the sites that
    have been created using bad site generation software.

I dont know much about WebMerge, and would like to try it. But the above concerned me. Thats why I posted here, to see if I could get more info about it.

Affiliate Manager
    I can apppreciate the concern, as there's a lot of crappy software out there with "Get Rich Quick" claims that turn out to be "Get Excluded Quick".

But like BurgerBoy pointed out, WebMerge works with templates of your own design, and leaves no tell-tale trace that it was used. Unregistered copies will put a "Made With WebMerge" tag at the bottom of each page, but of course that's purely optional once registered.

WebMerge simply does in an automated fashion what you could do by hand -- it just does it a few orders of magnitude faster.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    I can apppreciate the concern, as there's a lot of crappy software out there with "Get Rich Quick" claims that turn out to be "Get Excluded Quick".

But like BurgerBoy pointed out, WebMerge works with templates of your own design, and leaves no tell-tale trace that it was used. Unregistered copies will put a "Made With WebMerge" tag at the bottom of each page, but of course that's purely optional once registered.

WebMerge simply does in an automated fashion what you could do by hand -- it just does it a few orders of magnitude faster.
    Great! That was the info I was looking for, Thank you very much!

Guess I'll be making Web Merge purchase.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Great! That was the info I was looking for, Thank you very much!

Guess I'll be making Web Merge purchase.
    if you do the download and play with it just a little bit you'll start to get the hang of it. there are tutorials, and, of course, the WebMerge forum here.

Internet Cowboy
    Google can't tell if your site was made with WebMerge. If you slap a datafeed up there, don't change anything and don't add any unique content, your site will be in the crapper in minutes, but that is no fault of WebMerge.

I have gone to a php and Mysql setup but still use Webmerge to insert certain elements in to my pages with php in them and it works beautifully. WebMerge has tons of great uses and at $99 is one of the best values in my toolbox.

Thanks for all the great info!

I've got the shortcut on my desktop, and plan to play with it for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Google can't tell if your site was made with WebMerge. If you slap a datafeed up there, don't change anything and don't add any unique content, your site will be in the crapper in minutes, but that is no fault of WebMerge.

I have gone to a php and Mysql setup but still use Webmerge to insert certain elements in to my pages with php in them and it works beautifully. WebMerge has tons of great uses and at $99 is one of the best values in my toolbox.

Here's what I don't understand about the whold "crappy site" thing that I keep reading. How can it be crappy to use a tool like webmerge to create a catalog. I guess I don't get how someone can create unique content when they are using a tool like webmerge or coding a datafeed catalog by hand. Blogs I understand, and other sites that have articles, but a site that reproduces a datafeed? I don't see how that can produce anything unique.

No offense or anything. I'm new and trying to learn. I just don't understand.

ABW Ambassador
    I guess I don't get how someone can create unique content
    That's exactly why I bought WebMerge (which I haven't had a chance to get into yet after 4 months) - for the ability to control and customize.

Since pages are created on the computer, there can be some unique content inserted on important pages before they're ever uploaded. Maybe not on 10K pages, but if I did that many in one clip I'd customize targeted landing pages and exclude the pages that could get picked up as duplicates from being crawled.

Then again, fields in the feed can be customized and tweaked before pages are generated, so that they're somewhat unique before pages are even generated.

I know it's ultra-conservative, but I'm chicken and try to avoid duplications and/or the Supplemental index. I've even got some pages Supplemental on hand-rolled sites, and don't much care for it. It just takes a certain amount of unique text in some key spots on pages to stand a good chance of avoiding it, and having the control leaves room to do that. By using WM I'll be able to do that while avoiding the tedious, wrist-busting copying and pasting it takes now to put products up.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That's exactly why I bought WebMerge (which I haven't had a chance to get into yet after 4 months) - for the ability to control and customize.

Since pages are created on the computer, there can be some unique content inserted on important pages before they're ever uploaded. Maybe not on 10K pages, but if I did that many in one clip I'd customize targeted landing pages and exclude the pages that could get picked up as duplicates from being crawled.

Then again, fields in the feed can be customized and tweaked before pages are generated, so that they're somewhat unique before pages are even generated.

I know it's ultra-conservative, but I'm chicken and try to avoid duplications and/or the Supplemental index. I've even got some pages Supplemental on hand-rolled sites, and don't much care for it. It just takes a certain amount of unique text in some key spots on pages to stand a good chance of avoiding it, and having the control leaves room to do that. By using WM I'll be able to do that while avoiding the tedious, wrist-busting copying and pasting it takes now to put products up.
    "but if I did that many in one clip I'd customize targeted landing pages and exclude the pages that could get picked up as duplicates from being crawled."

Not sure what you mean here? If I use one for TVs and have 500 TVs in a catalog, are you saying you pick one, for whatever reason, and put something unique on it? When you talk about duplications do you just mean duplications of some other site out there?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread