HP 64 Bit Notebook? Uh, Not Really.
    So I bought a new HP notebook about 6 months ago and one of the main features I bought on was the AMD 64 processor. For a brand new unit, and a 64 bit, it wasn't running very fast. In fact, it's one of the slowest notebooks I used in years.

Looking for some speed, I started looking around and thought the Windows XP 64 bit OS might do the trick. I got an eval version, repartitioned and installed the OS. So, now it will dual boot into XP Home of XP Pro 64-bit. Windows 64 bit runs much faster so now I think I'm getting somewhere. Next stop is HP for drivers for this new screamer. Uh oh, drives are for only 32 bit OS. How can this be? They sold me a 64 bit machine but don't have drivers for 64 bit OS? Maybe I can't find them, ok, contact HP online help. They will tell me where the drivers are located. WRONG! If I wasn't feeling ripped off, this would be funny.

I open with a simple question "Do you have drivers available for Windows XP 64 bit?"

So, I got a simple reply "Greg, HP does not recommend or support Windows XP 64 bit Edition, as HP does not ship home segment PCs with Windows XP 64 bit Edition. The reason for this is; currently most application programs like MS Office, Easy CD Creator, Record Now, etc. work only on 32 bit operating systems."

Huh? You sold me a 64 bit notebook that can't be used with a 64 bit OS? So, I had to ask "So you sell units with 64 bit processors but don't support it?"

HP doesn't think it's that bad "Greg, the CPU installed is 64bit but the chipset present in the notebook are not of 64bit still many of the chipset designer haven't designed their chipset which support 64bit Operating system. The chipset I am saying about is Graphic card, Sound Card, Wired and Wireless network card, also motherboard buses should have the feature that it should support the 64 bit data transfer rate. I'm sorry to inform you that due the various reasons I have mentioned above the drivers are unavailable for the 64 bit Edition of Windows because the drivers for the chipset has not been developed for Graphics, Modem and other chipset."

Oh good, for a minute there I thought they sold me a 64 bit unit that won't run 64 bit OS. Wait, he IS telling me that. Well, maybe I'll just use 32 bit drivers then but HP tells me "I am sorry Greg the 32bit wont work on 64bit Operating System environment" I thank him (don't know why, though) and he tries to close out the call with "Your satisfaction is important to us, and I truly regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. It was nice assisting you today. Is there any thing else, I can help you with today?"

Apparently they weren't too concerned with my satisfaction when they sold me a V8 that can only run on 4 cylinders. So, I had to voice my "unsatisfaction" with HP "No, that's it. It's very disappointing to buy a 64 bit machine that doesn't have the 64 bit drivers. Maybe a warning with the unit that the 64 bit is worthless as shipped."

He reassured me the 64 bit was a worthwhile investment with "Greg it is not worthless in feature you can upgrade to 64 Operating System" HUH? I'm trying to "upgrade" but they don't have the drivers so I CAN'T upgrade. Thought maybe I had to remind him WHY we were chatting in the first place "I got the 64 bit Windows to try it out and I was looking for the drivers for video, sound etc. But you're saying you don't have drivers for 64 bit Windows."

He tried to close again with "Thank you for using HP Total Care and providing us an opportunity to serve you through Real-Time Chat. A copy of our chat session will be e-mailed to you shortly. Please contact us again if you require any further assistance.
    Our exclusive Owner Services will help keep all of your HP and Compaq products up and running. Please visit our Web site at:http://www.hp.com/home/ownerservices

Have a Good Day " But wait, you must tell me "Any idea when the 64 bit drivers will be released?" Sure, he can tell me that "Still no information from our Research and Development team." Like a fool, I thanked him again.

Maybe it's just me but I think if they're selling 64 bit, it should run on 64 bit. They didn't say "maybe some day it will work with 64 bit but not today, next week, next month or even next year, but maybe someday". After 6 months, I'm already thinking about something new. You can bet it won't be an HP.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Why don't you go to the sound card makers website and download their beta 64bit drivers same thing for the video card. Most are stable.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Why don't you go to the sound card makers website and download their beta 64bit drivers same thing for the video card. Most are stable.
    It sounds like it's worth a try since I don't depend on XP 64 bit yet so is doesn't matter if it blows up on me. Thanks!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread