Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    LinkShare's SubID Tracking & Reporting Mechanism
    I received this email and to be honest - I have NO clue what they are talking about. Could someone "dumb" it down for me? What am I signing and why? I know I should probably get what they are saying but it is zooming over my head.

Thanks
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

15 years and counting
    Does it mean it's the first email you received on SubID?
    No wonder why they are extending the SubID up to the end of Feb.
    Anyway, any real network, caring for their affiliates SHOULD keep the SubID reporting working without to have to migrate to the signature level.

You have the answers to your questions here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67062

Thanks Zeus. I read the thread and I guess I sort of get it. The third party thing has me equally as confused. I know people use my RSS feed on their sites... I don't own the sites and I don't know all the sites that use the feed, so what happens now? Do I lose any sales generated from those sites? I really don't want to take the time to dig through and make a list of all the info. they want. Besides, I don't really think it's any of their business.

It just seems like over the past 16 months Linkshare has made doing business with them more challenging than it needs to be.

I began about 8 months ago looking for alternatives to using them on any new projects. I will never profess to being a genius in the inner workings of this business but my marketing skills are adequate to make a living off this stuff. In my opinion, LS likes to confuse everything so much that you finally throw your hands up and say "whatever!"

This just gives me one more reason to continue looking for alternative solutions to doing business with them.

See what happens when you stop visiting abestweb on a regular basis? You miss all the important stuff like this but since Katrina I've been more disorganized than ever it seems.

Thanks again for directing me to the thread. I wish I could say I understand it all but I don't.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare Last Year And Past Years - subID tracking and Signature tracking to track sales

Linkshare Plans For This Year - Signature tracking only to track sales

Their thinking is taking something away is an improvement for us.

Oh, and after you make the switch you'll have to switch them out all over again when they move on to the new links.

Do I have that right LS mod?

They are extending SubID until February???? I did not recieve any emails on that? Well, I only changed it on one site in January to see what results I could see in the reports. It is totally worthless as I can't figure out what the new reports are supposed to tell me. When I do a Member ID Click Report report it shows all zeros and when I do a Member ID Field Report I see data for every one of my merchants, but nothing broken down by site which is what I used to use SubID for. Worthless!!!!

Is it any surprise LS extended the date? One, it was obvious from posts here in January they had not thought this through.

Just another one of LS's "change it or else" programs that has frustrated affiliates, required more effort on our parts and is totally a waste of time.

On the one hand I am totally frustrated with LS but on the other these recent demands by LS made upon us to change our links has forced me to work with merchants outside of LS. And I'm finding better deals and a warmer relationship than I ever had working through LS.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    IMPORTANT Reminder: LinkShare not supporting SubID Reporting as of 2/23 Sent 06/02/2006
    "LinkShare's SubID Tracking & Reporting Mechanism
    LinkShare has sent several communications to affiliates about our SubID (Sub Affiliate) tracking and reporting mechanism no longer being supported. We have extended the original deadline from January 31 to February 23. Sub Affiliates are created in the LinkShare interface by accessing the Sub Affiliates section of Your Account.
    We have determined that the SubID tracking and reporting feature is largely redundant to our Signature (also known as u1) product. Signature offers our affiliates the same ability to track affiliate referrals based upon their source, but Signature offers this capability in a more flexible and scalable manner.
    After February 23, your links will continue to function and track. However, you will no longer be able to access the SubID reporting. The links that you have with SubIDs will still track and report sales, but you will not be able to see the SubID detail for those sales..."

After Feb. 23 I should have hopefully removed LS from most my links.

Hey folks, conisider this...if you have to go and change all those links, why not take a moment to look at other network merchants (that may even pay more) and you probably won't have to worry about changing those links again and again as LS is planning on making us later jump through all these hoops again.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    The last new LinkShare merchant on one of my sites is Pre-Athena. I had no problem finding good performing new merchants to fit my needs.

Same here. My last LS merchant was pre-Athena. Wonder how many others out there have stopped adding LS merchants at about that time?
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ok. Someone please explain to me this:
    If I have 4 sites (a manageable nr of sites), I HAVE TO create a channel for every site in order to track the sales, or I could just leave them all to the main channel and they will also track?
    If I have to request permission for every site on every channel to the merchants it's kinda time consuming.
    Thanks.

15 years and counting
    Don't worry, they will track sales. You will have no individual reporting for each of your 4 sites, just a global report.
    I don't recommend to start different channels. You'll have to reapply to EACH of your merchants and on top of that, you'll be paid for EACH of your channels. 4 checks instead of one or 4 deposits.

Zeus,

I thought you only had to apply once and not to the merchants and that the signature program was supposed to track each site if you changed the SubID to the correct signature code?

However, having said that, I can't get the reports to show me this information, as I stated above.

Seems there is some real confusion amongst affiliates on all of this still. (typical LS)
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    He's talking about starting new channels "I HAVE TO create a channel for every site" It's a possibility to track sales for each individual site, the LS mod explained it somewhere.
    If you use the signature program and change the SubID by the signature code, there's no problem.
    But once again, HOW HARD is it for LS to still use SubID on affiliates sites and replace it automatically by the signature code and KEEP the SubID reporting working. Just some coding for a beginner.

These linkShare people have NO technical skills.

I'm not sure about the technical as I know many of their tech staff are very qualified. It is more of the management not having common sense or the ability to listen to their tech staff whom I'm sure have told them your above method is indeed possible. After all, I can manipulate links on my end, why can't they?

I think we are not getting the entire story here from LS.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15 years and counting
    They had great guys in the tech dpt. In 1996/1997 what they did was awsome. They fired all the good guys as soon as the boat started to sink after 1999/2000.
    Then can't even pick a subcontractor to manage a new reporting system. (SynergyAnalytics).
    These people at LinkShare (either management or others) are lost. Somebody one day is going to wonder what he bought for a cash purchase price of approximately $425 million. LinkShare people are hiding their investors the same way they're hidding their tech guys.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    SubID Reporting Options
    All,
    Let me reiterate some of the previous information that has been posted on the SubID reporting.

-- As of February 23, LinkShare will no longer be supporting SubID reporting.
    -- If you do use SubID reporting, your links will continue to work and track, you will not have reporting at the SubID level. Sales and tracking will report aggregately for all your sub affiliate accounts.
    -- If you use SubID reporting and need to continue to have this reporting you have two options: Signature (u1) or creating unique channels for each site.

Signature
    Signature (u1) allows affiliates to track and generate detailed reports on the commerce activity generated by its site down to the transaction level of each individual member, organization, or sub site. To be enabled for LinkShare Signature Technology, follow these steps:
    -- Access the Affiliate Resource Center in the upper right hand corner of your Home Page
    -- Select the LinkShare Signature Technology link in the Products and Services section
    -- Review the LinkShare Signature Overview
    -- Submit the Signature Request form to signature@linkshare.com

The difference between Signature and SubID reporting is that with Signature you will not see impression tracking at the site or u1 level. All other functionality remains in tact if you use Signature.

Once you are Signature enabled, you can change your links from SubID to Signature by doing a search and replace and add “&u1=” to the end of the “&subid=”. For new links that you add to your site you can either manually add the “&u1=” or add it dynamically using a script.

Multiple Channels
    Creating multiple channels is another option for affiliates to track sub sites. Follow these steps to set up your multiple channels:
    -- Go to Update Profile from the Home Page
    -- Scroll down to Create Channel and select the Create Channel button
    -- Complete the form and hit Update

If you choose to set up multiple channels for your sub sites, you will need to re-apply individually to each merchant. To create links, you will need to select the channel from the drop down at the top of the interface. You will also need to use this drop down to run reports because there is no aggregate reporting via the channel method.

LS Moderator,

Let me reiterate!!!

Why are you still allowing affiliates to add new SubID accounts and when you go and create any new links it has the SubID still in them. This only creates more work later. Sad, sad, sad for the affiliates that went in and changed all their subid's to the signature thing only to discover any new links or banners they built afterwards have the old SubID in them.

I'm sorry, but this kind of think is OBVIOUS to an active affiliates. When will LS actively seek out advice from active affiliates before they go an institute new agendas? So many times over the last year many headaches for all affilaites could have been elimiated had LS simply took the time and effor to field test things with a dozen or so active affiliates. I sure hope Mr. Denton mandates a top down approach to fixing this kind of thing in the future.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The difference between Signature and SubID reporting is that with Signature you will not see impression tracking at the site or u1 level. All other functionality remains in tact if you use Signature.

Once you are Signature enabled, you can change your links from SubID to Signature by doing a search and replace and add “&u1=” to the end of the “&subid=”. For new links that you add to your site you can either manually add the “&u1=” or add it dynamically using a script.
    I'm signature enabled, but completely lost after that.
    1. Since we won't see impression tracking, does this mean all those 1x1 pixel links are useless? We can remove them? Is there any purpose to keeping them?
    2. "&u1="? Do we add "&u2=" for a second site or "&u1=2" for a second site? How do we differentiate between sites? I'm very confused, I need this laid out like the first grade ABCs! Or "LinkShare for Dummies."

Thanks in advance for further clarification on this.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I'm with you - still totally lost and LS's response is to post what I already received in email. Go figure . I guess they thought if I read it here instead of reading it in my email, I'd understand it better.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    I'm signature enabled, but completely lost after that.
    1. Since we won't see impression tracking, does this mean all those 1x1 pixel links are useless? We can remove them? Is there any purpose to keeping them?
    2. "&u1="? Do we add "&u2=" for a second site or "&u1=2" for a second site? How do we differentiate between sites? I'm very confused, I need this laid out like the first grade ABCs! Or "LinkShare for Dummies."

Thanks in advance for further clarification on this.
    leeann

Well, don't feel bad. I thought I understood it (after similar questions), I implemented it, but now I can't get anything to show up in reports. So I'm just as clueless and frustrated.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

JoyUnltd and Leeann,
    I will try to answer your questions.
    1. You can remove the 1x1 pixel from your linking code, however you will not receive credit for any impressions, and they will not be reflected in any of your LinkShare reports. Click-through and sales information will not be affected if the 1x1 pixel is removed.

2. The value following the "=" sign is representative of your specific sub-site and is created by you. This identifier can be up to 72 alphanumeric characters in length. You determine how you are going to identify each site and assign a Signature ID for each site. For example:
    Site1.com = 1
    Site2.com = 2
    Site3.com = 3

When you append the “&u1=”, your code you will look like this
    ...&type=15&subid=1&u1=1&afsrc=1...
    ...&type=15&subid=2&u1=2&afsrc=1...
    ...&type=15&subid=3&u1=3&afsrc=1...

Hope this helps clear things up.

Ranae

Hey, you forgot one...
    Seems this question was missed or ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Why are you still allowing affiliates to add new SubID accounts and when you go and create any new links it has the SubID still in them. This only creates more work later. Sad, sad, sad for the affiliates that went in and changed all their subid's to the signature thing only to discover any new links or banners they built afterwards have the old SubID in them.
    And why do new banner links still include the old SubID in them?
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ranae,
    Thanxs mucho! Exactly what I needed to know

One more question. Why would I need to get credited for the impressions if the clickthroughs count?
    Renée

JoyUnltd,
    Some affiliates use the impression data, others do not. I am not aware of any merchants that pay for impressions or offer a CPM deal.
    Ranae

Thanks! I thought we had to leave them there for some reason external to our needs. I was under the impression that we had to leave in every bit of code or something might not track.
    Renée

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast