Google and robots.txt character limit
    I was at Google sitemap looking at their reports for one of my sites. I noticed they had "Test your robots.txt file and try out changes" under the robots.txt tab.

After a try it came up with an error that said Must be at most 2000 characters Now that was a surprise and I can't seem to find more info anywhere.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I haven't heard of this specific limit that you ran into before, but I think it isn't so much associated with the seo aspects of crawling, but rather having their crawlers avoid spider traps (a scripted never-ending file or slow-replying robots.txt file, designed to snarl spiders). I think they've decided for the robot's speed and safety (and to not inadvertently cause ddos attacks when a spider chokes) they've choosen a max file size to spider.

There are people using cgi scripting to parse their robots.txt files so that they can detect which spider is asking to read the robots.txt file and then morph the file (as the webmaster sees fit) for that particular one. This can keep your file small, but if I were an algorithm (that could see it morph), I'd seriously wonder about the "why" behind your dynamic file activity.

Donuts, Some of that heavy technology you speak of must be behind the present mysterious set up over at WmW. They have cloaked their robots.txt and have "honeypots" to trap bad bots. It's real interesting. You might want to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I was at Google sitemap looking at their reports for one of my sites. I noticed they had "Test your robots.txt file and try out changes" under the robots.txt tab.

After a try it came up with an error that said Must be at most 2000 characters Now that was a surprise and I can't seem to find more info anywhere.
    Not sure what Google's deal is, but I can assure you when we came up with the robots.txt thing waaaaaaay back when (at a bar in Darmstadt, Germany), nobody was talking about a maximum size. No offense to the big G (please, oh great Google, let manna and position rain down upon my links), but this smacks of lazy programming.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Googlebot is now plowing through some files that I thought I had blocked in robots.txt. Maybe someone can double check this for me.

Given: mydomain.com/stuff/detail-stuff.php

Does this block detail-stuff.php?

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /detail-stuff.php

Or do I need to show it as:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /stuff/detail-stuff.php

I've been using the first example and googlebot is grabbing /stuff/detail-stuff.php

use the second

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread