Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Did you all lose money when you started too?
    Man Im so bad at this. one day I make a $5 profit, the next I break even, the next day I'm behind $20, lol. Day after day.

I read the ebooks and follow what they say, but I am behind.

where you all like this too, or did you earn a profit right away?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't say there's any profit or loss because I don't spend anything to lose. All I pay for is domain registration and hosting, which is total maximum spend of $30 a year for both for a domain, so it isn't possible to lose and if I did end up "spending" without recovering on a site I'd close the site down.

A hobby or information site is one thing, but with that little spend there's no way an affiliate site can end up in the red.

I took some monor losses VERY early, but learned quickly... Take it easy with the PPC. Unless it's working.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I never lost any money, because I didn't realize you were supposed to spend any. By the time I started advertising, I was earning enough to be full time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

grove,

I don't engage in either Adsense or Adwords.
    I don't pay for datafeed and no amount of arm twisting or cajoling is gonna get me to do it either.

I own 3 domains and I pay for hosting.

My sites are for my personal pleasure first and I like the idea of making money, but worrying about Adwords isn't my cup of tea.

Some people claim to make money off of Adwords and I believe it -- HOORAY for them -- but it's just not me (at least at this time).
    That's the attitude I have.

Webworker's advice to you looked good.

Edit: Why not build up your site first?
    See how you do with "free" affiliate advertising.

I don't think there is a fee for Adsense, so give that a try first before "throwing dice with the big boys" so to speak -- unless you have the extra money and you are willing to try it as a "learning opportunity" but Webworker gave you good advice: it's better to be in the black than in the red.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 7th, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I never lost any money, because I didn't realize you were supposed to spend any. By the time I started advertising, I was earning enough to be full time.
    Michael, you obviously are a guru around here

but your testimony is a little scanty
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    adwords smadwords..
    Adwords is a tough route for Affiliates. Regulations, competition and more Competition. It's sometimes tough for even merchants to get a good ROI with their margins using paid search..

You need free advertising by way of SERPs

The best advice I ever got as a new Affiliate years ago was to build a site that was made up of content I was passionate about...without even thinking about making money with it. I was told to wait two years before even trying to monetize for a merchant...so I did just that. The site became my hobby. It was fun, and therefore easy to keep up-to-date with my original ramblins and so on. In fact lots of friends contributed to the content because they were psyched to see their creative writing and photos published on a web site. I gave them credits and they gave me content. Worked out great.

After nearly two years of building content, backlinks and PR.. I began monetizing by manually building pages around relevant products. These pages ranked favorably for SE searches..and I started converting like mad. I still believe the best converting traffic on the web are shoppers in shopping mode searching SEs for products they want to buy. If you can get your product detail pages (manually built or not) in front of these shoppers in shopping mode you're laughin'.

So, committ to the long-haul with this, not the quick buck, and you'll do great. There's nothing wrong with playing with Adwords to drive some traffic in the meantime while you earn your organic rankings.. but you have to be careful (as Noth said).. those nickel clicks add up damn fast.

Hope this is helpful..

Gary M

What is "SERPs" an acronym for?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I never lost any money, because I didn't realize you were supposed to spend any.
    I didn't spend any until I'd earned what my first computer and hosting cost - and then it was hardware and software to make me more productive. Taking a loss up front before you've proved yourself seems a sure way back to employment.

A fundamental rule I've had since I started is that if it won't pay for itself - I can't have it. Unless you are really sure what you're doing - don't let productive sites pay for unproductive ones - everything should be able to stand alone.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    What is "SERPs" an acronym for?
    pretty sure it's Search Engine Result Pages ..but I could be off a word (or two). Haha.

You are right Gary. But I find funny that you are unsure. Don't worry i won't tell.

Good advice guys..there is so much to say and learn in threads concerning marketing...

Matt

With no page rank.. I dont see that is possible your site cant even be found in the search engines.. barely.. sounds like your just giving it the big one..

dont be scared to spend money..

People do it everyday in business, its what gets them business..

Though Its nice to get free traffic.. if you plan on doing this as a business. and not as a hobby like half these guys.

Dont be afraid to use money.. yes you might lose some.. but go an ask any successful business that still around.. ask them if they have blown money on advertising and not seen results..

test, test, test.. add content, add content.. advertise and be specific. do research on your market.

decide if its a business you want or a hobby that you can boast to your friends about that you make $100 a month lol..

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe it used to do great in the SE's. Maybe he has other sites. Maybe he's not dependent on Google like most affiliates are. Some of the early coupon/deal sites and some today build up a loyal following and don't live and die by algo shifts.

Don't forget, Lasthope, some of these guys were AM'ing before you had a computer. Things were different then...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Things were different then...
    So true, in many ways. I don't think PPC was even an option when I started. I don't think PHP, ASP, or CFM were options for developing sites. There were no WSIWYG HTML editors. (At least I had never heard of any of those things...) You only had one place to register a domain, and it was $70 for two years. Affiliate programs often paid quarterly instead of monthly, and it was usually a couple months after the end of the quarter.

On the other hand, some things haven't changed much. The best way to have a successful web site (IMHO) is still to provide something that visitors will consider valuable and useful.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Grove, you have received some very good advice in this thread, let me try to help sum it up for you with what I feel were the best points made that will help you the most.

Take it easy with the PPC. Unless it's working.
    You need free advertising by way of SERPs.
    dont be scared to spend money...
    Dont be afraid to use money.. yes you might lose some.. but go an ask any successful business that still around.. ask them if they have blown money on advertising and not seen results...
    test, test, test.. add content, add content.. advertise and be specific. do research on your market.
    decide if its a business you want or a hobby that you can boast to your friends about that you make $100 a month lol...
    Don't forget, Lasthope, some of these guys were AM'ing before you had a computer. Things were different then....
    The best way to have a successful web site (IMHO) is still to provide something that visitors will consider valuable and useful..
    The only thing I can think of adding to all the above great advice, is to target your site to a specific thing. I have found that in today’s Internet, that if you want to sell a widget, your site should be selling that widget and not a bunch of other things. It will help you in the SERPs.

One more thing would be to watch who you are selling that widget for, because if it is the wrong one, they may steal all your widget sales.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Groove,

What are your expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I took some monor losses VERY early, but learned quickly... Take it easy with the PPC. Unless it's working.
    it works one day and then doesnt work the next.
    its been like this for 3 weeks, it works some day and doesnt work others.
    Overall im slightly in the red

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    grove,

Edit: Why not build up your site first?
    See how you do with "free" affiliate advertising.
    thanks
    Im building a site now but its a nightmare with all the different sections and pages and structure of putting it together, and trying to think up things to say on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Adwords is a tough route for Affiliates. Regulations, competition and more Competition. It's sometimes tough for even merchants to get a good ROI with their margins using paid search..

You need free advertising by way of SERPs

The best advice I ever got as a new Affiliate years ago was to build a site that was made up of content I was passionate about...without even thinking about making money with it. I was told to wait two years before even trying to monetize for a merchant...so I did just that. The site became my hobby. It was fun, and therefore easy to keep up-to-date with my original ramblins and so on. In fact lots of friends contributed to the content because they were psyched to see their creative writing and photos published on a web site. I gave them credits and they gave me content. Worked out great.

After nearly two years of building content, backlinks and PR.. I began monetizing by manually building pages around relevant products. These pages ranked favorably for SE searches..and I started converting like mad. I still believe the best converting traffic on the web are shoppers in shopping mode searching SEs for products they want to buy. If you can get your product detail pages (manually built or not) in front of these shoppers in shopping mode you're laughin'.

So, committ to the long-haul with this, not the quick buck, and you'll do great. There's nothing wrong with playing with Adwords to drive some traffic in the meantime while you earn your organic rankings.. but you have to be careful (as Noth said).. those nickel clicks add up damn fast.

Hope this is helpful..

Gary M
    oh I agree with you for sure. I dont really have any hobbies or interests that I could make a site about and keep updated everyday, but Ill try to think some up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope
    dont be scared to spend money..

People do it everyday in business, its what gets them business..

Though Its nice to get free traffic.. if you plan on doing this as a business. and not as a hobby like half these guys.

Dont be afraid to use money.. yes you might lose some.. but go an ask any successful business that still around.. ask them if they have blown money on advertising and not seen results..

decide if its a business you want or a hobby that you can boast to your friends about that you make $100 a month lol..
    oh I agree. If I wanted a brick and mortar business id have to spend thousands and thousands on office rent, telephone system, computer system, products, insurance, etc etc etc. So I realize that its a blessing I can be in business for a few hundred dollars online.

I'm not afraid to spend money at all, was just a little bummed out that I make a little then lose a little more, and was asking if other were going through the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Groove,

What are your expenses?
    just adwords costs.
    I average between .20-.30 cents per click.

.20-.30 a click your safe ... if your CTR works.

If it's a business, work the numbers and the site to convert better or the keywords to convert better with the landing page ---- if it's a hobby, you might just d*ck around enough to bleed money, even at $0.20!

HTH
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast