ABW Ambassador
    My name is Weisinator, and I'm a bass-aholic.
    I'll post pics of the mother of all PC subwoofers as I construct it. I have the pieces in my home right now.

I hate home improvement projects. I enjoy building speakers. This is my little way of rewarding myself for seeing my home office space through.

ABW Ambassador
    It's finally up and running. It's 24x12x14 and fits snugly in the void under my corner desk. If you care, the specs are 1.7 cubic feet (net after ports, drivers and amplifier) tuned to 36hz with a pair of DIY flared ports. It's got a 70w amplifier and a pair of 5.25" woofers.

It vibrates the floor.... upstairs.

I don't have pics right now, they're on a roll of film. I really need to move into the new millenium and get one of those newfangled digital cameras.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    It's finally up and running. It's 24x12x14 and fits snugly in the void under my corner desk. If you care, the specs are 1.7 cubic feet (net after ports, drivers and amplifier) tuned to 36hz with a pair of DIY flared ports. It's got a 70w amplifier and a pair of 5.25" woofers.

It vibrates the floor.... upstairs.

I don't have pics right now, they're on a roll of film. I really need to move into the new millenium and get one of those newfangled digital cameras.
    My computer speakers were a gift from a bass player. Don't know how I lived without the great sound brfore. I SO relate Weisinator. It's all about the low end.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    The $22 labtecs on the desk actually sound better with some low-end oomph. The music sounds more "live".

Two problems:

Not enough power in the labtecs. Snap, crackle, pop like a boombox playing at full blast with half-dead batteries.

They sound cheap. No real highs, just a painful shrilliness.

So I have to make an investment in mids and highs to go with my low end.

You need to hang w/my hubby or visa versa...he's an audiophile...he'd love to be able to make our whole house vibrate...

I just get annoyed after awhile...my kids like it though.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Wes,

meees too a bassophile running stock feather fao1's that spec at 20 hz although they don't have nearly the throw of your 70 watts ;-) I don't know if they are available in the states yet, but if you get a chance give them a listen.

http://www.feather-usa.com/products/...p?Codigo=f_01a

used to have a pair of these before I left the states (overhauled since I got a pair years ago) http://www.vmpsaudio.com/626R.htm
    Brian is a mad scientist when it comes to the bass freaks...he wants all the electrons to flow in the right direction!

I look forward to seeing the pics ;-)

ABW Ambassador
    I think I should post a video to realmofexcursion dot com (If you think "boom cars" are irritating, that site's not for you.)

See, I have a miniDV camcorder and a firewire card... but no digital camera. I'm living in some kind of bizarre time warp.

I might be able to pull a still off of it, but I need to sleep.

ABW Ambassador
    Took me long enough.

Two tiny woofers blasting 'Baby Got Back' at 106dB+

I don't have construction pics yet.

Details:

One of these
    Two of these

Crank up some Living Sacrifice through that baby: they have Awesome-Bass-Licks and Guteral-Growls - Oughta Give Your Neighbors quite a trill!

ABW Ambassador
    Bullitt Mustang-Charger chase scene: the cars jump, land, and vibrate the ducting in my basement.

"Batman Suite", as performed by the Cincinatti Pops and conducted by Erich Kunzel: the sub tends to blend cellos, bass drums and tympanis together, but it is far cleaner than any multimedia subwoofer I've heard. It's not a one-note roar like you find in bargain-basement "home theater in a box" systems. You can still distinguish between instruments, just not nearly as you could with something from Genelic or B&W.

Sounds good crank-it!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread