ABW Ambassador
    This old gal can't stop herself from asking questions. When creating thumbnails, is there a standard size that web page creators use? For example 80x80, 50x50?
    Another question. Would someone like to explain just how preloading images work?
    Thanks
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

i dont think that there is a standard size for thumbs but maybe avoid making them the same standard size as banners so that they dont get hijacked by gator

pre loading is usually done with javascript, the idea is that the user arrives at a splash page and the javascript stuffs the images into the users cache so that when they visit the next page it loads quickly because the piccys are already there

i am not going to tell you how to preload with javascript, instead i will tell you how i do it

ok, this is really simple, you just include them on the splash page but you squash them down to 1x1 so that the user cant see them

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;IMG HEIGHT=1 WIDTH=1 SRC="some.gif" BORDER=0 CACHE&gt;</pre>

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: cyber-punk ]

ABW Ambassador
    Forgive me for not understanding (newbie here) splash page? Does that mean my index page?
    Cazzie :confused:

yes it usually is an index page but they typically dont have much content

here are a couple of examples of splash pages
    http://www.smokeybear.com/
    http://citizens.eu.int/

the same image stretched with the height and width tags</p>

</p>

10x10 </p>

</p>

32x32 </p>

</p>

320x320</p>

</p>

60x468</p>

[ fixed the oops [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ]</p>

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

oops

@ austin powers AND Cazzie <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>pre loading is usually done with javascript, the idea is that the user arrives at a splash page and the javascript stuffs the images into the users cache so that when they visit the next page it loads quickly because the piccys are already there<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think(know) that you are wrong AP. Preloading of images is just what the name says. What it does is, when the page loads it loads all the "preloading" images before the browser shows them. The images are stored in the cache for the next page anyways even if you don't have "preloading" images. The "preloading" images are used mostly for example, if you have a mouseover image and you want it to be loaded when the page renders so everything seems well done. You can also think of other usages.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow! I am impressed. I downloaded a shareware program called Graphic webshop. I used it on one page, resized the images and shaved 20 seconds off load time! And better yet you don't have to buy the program if you want to put up with the reminders to purchase now. But I do see the differences that you pointed out.
    Thanks
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

alexbet, i supose you could use it for that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

i should have said the explanation i gave is just the way *i* do it

cazzie, heres a great free online tool that you can use to shave the filesize of your images down so that your pages will load faster Adobe.com online image optimizer CLICK HERE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    its a great tool, i wish they had an affiliate program, its much easier to write enthusiastic sales spin about something that you like yourself and i really like this tool

haikster, thanks for fixing the images above :cool:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread