instrument pro data feed doesn't get "finished"
    Hello,
    I built the instrument pro web site. When I run make.pl the script runs but & creates a 11.4MB datafeed.txt & I *HAD* a .db file that was about 19MB. When I get the site to come up there are no pictures or products. There is a coupon only. The search box does take you to instrument pro & my affiliate ID appears to be ok. The script never said "finished" like you show in your tutorial video. I've tried deleting the entire "data" directory & rebuilding it. Now my .db file is only 18KB or so. The instrument pro site still looks the same.

Where did my products go & where did my .db go?

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Rex

Try running make.pl again. If it still does not finish, then see this note from the DySE documenation:

Very Important: No "finished" section.
    If make.pl stops abruptly, your web server may be configured to monitor memory and CPU usage. The web server thus stops any process that uses up too much memory or uses up too much processing power of the web server. Try running make.pl again to determine if the problem is repeatable (this is important). If it stops again, then ask your hosting company if your web server is monitoring memory/CPU and if those limits can be increased for your web site. Tell them the URL of your make.pl so that they can try it themselves and see why the web server is stopping the make.pl process.

See also: Run make.pl on your Windows PC with ActivePerl

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Still not "finished"
    David, OK I checked with the hosting company here is part of their reply. "Your script appears to be running correctly for me, it runs for about 30 seconds or so, and returns the output to the screen. Memory usage isn't very high, and it does cause a load on one of the processors, but not for very long."

When I run make.pl I get the following:
    Start
    Save Configuration:
    /dyse directory
    datafeed (shows it building 11.5MB total)
    make products database: (this field is blank)
    preprocess data The script stops outputting data here & the progress bar shows done but the text never says "finished" like in the demo.

The datafeed.txt is 11.4MB in size & looks ok although I can't be sure what OK is since I haven't seen one that worked yet! Here is a list & size of the files created.
    datafeed.txt 11.4MB
    data.db.lck 3 bytes
    data.db 18.7KB
    check.txt 35 bytes
    cfg.db 25KB

I thought that data.db was something like 19MB not KB at one time but even when it was it didn't work. Now when I run make.pl it is 18.7KB. I don't know how to view it to see if it is ok. Notepad brings up some ascii chars alright in a pattern & some word phrases like "info:build" with some numbers but that's it. Hmmmm there is a data of Feb 9th even though I just rebuilt it on Feb 12th.

Check.txt says last checked Feb 12,2006 so it isn't anything.
    If I go to the get instrumentpro to run I get "Error the database is locked" There is just a 3 digit number in the data.db.lck file. Don't know why it defaults to LOCKED. If I delete that file then the page comes up with a "WELCOME" & a screen that looks ok but it only shows a 5% discount coupon & the nav bar on the left. The search box will work to find products on instrumentpro & my affiliate ID shows up in the address bar when it is doing it, but NO PRODUCTS show on my page. Also nothing below the word CATEGORIES.

Any ideas to check?

Thanks,
    Rex

Use the support form and let me know your make.pl URL.

When you run make.pl, it displays "processing: 1000/9736 (10%)" status as it's running and when eventually finished, it says:

#============================================================
    # finished:

Thank you for using DySE::instrumentpro v5.01.23

If the last thing it says is a "processing: x/x (x%)" line then make.pl did not finish. If make.pl did not finish, then it is because the server is killing the make.pl process either because it is taking too much time or too much RAM memory (server limits are set by your hosting company or server software).

If you have SSH access, then try running make.pl via SSH instead of via the web browser.

If make.pl does not finish successfully, then move to a different server or run make.pl on your Windows PC.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Round 3
    OK I have had the hosting company on the phone again. They assure me that there is NO limits imposed on my server. It is a dual processor Sun Server running Unix. Not Intel based, not Linux.

I am caught in the middle.

I have now totally erased the site & rebuilt it from the ground up. Same result. The process ends at PRECISELY the same point. There is about a minute of pause after

#------------------------------------------------------------
    # preprocess data

/export/home/leaddoggdp/public_html/cgi-bin/dyse/instrumentpro/data/datafeed.txt

Then the progress bar completes & that's it. No more messages.

I am going to try to rebuild this on a whole 'nuther server on a whole 'nuther hosting company & see if it works over there.

Could there be a problem with my key?
    You don't mention it in your video but shouldn't make2.pl be set for CHMOD 755 also?

I have fixed the path to perl in make.pl, make2.pl,& view.pl. The tests were fine as the video up to running make.pl.

Thanks,
    Rex

Try running make.pl via SSH rather than via the web browser. See documentation.

The key does not affect whether make.pl will run or not.

make2.pl is run indirectly. It doesn't need chmod. And make2.pl is used much later on during the "process category items" step.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

SSH not allowed
    David,

My host provider catalog.com was my first hosting company. They don't allow me to SSH their servers. This is a hosting company that I find restrictive & have been moving more & more away from them. The last 10 websites I purchased were somewhere else, however I have aging on this website & wanted to use it for this purpose.

I will still build your script on another server from another host & try that, just to see if I am building it correctly.

Rex

Works on different server
    David,

The instrument pro script works just fine on another server with another host provider. So the problem is obviously my original host provider (catalog.com) who for two weeks has been unable & not really all that willing to help me with the problem. I will now give them this information & see if they want to fix the problem or if I should move my account.

Thanks for your help.
    Rex

Well after 5 customer service people & 3 weeks time I FINALLY got the correct answer from catalog.com (my (ex)hosting company). The said that I was using too much CPU time. They ran the instrument pro script using the command line from their side & it ran for 10 minutes (so they claim). They limit perl scripts to 1 minute. They denied this for 3 weeks. This script run in 3-4 minutes on one of my other servers. This implies their server does not have as much horsepower either as my new one.

So they said they would run the script whenever I wanted for me. I'm sorry that is unacceptable since my plan is to run it once a day or two or three with a cron job. OK catalog.com doesn't allow cron jobs either.

So my plan is to go on down the road with a new web host. The moral to the story is to investigate the capabilities & limitations of your web host before building websites on their machines.

Note: David was correct on all his answers throughout this process.

Thanks for your help very much.
    Rex

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread