Limewire
    We download stuff from iTunes, but now my teenage son is trying to get me to get Limewire - I have worries about the garbage that comes with this - anybody know the latest on it?

I know you should be careful with Limewire or any other peer to peer networks. The RIAA scours these networks for people to slap lawsuits on. So basically the legality of it is a little iffy.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    I have used Limewire for months now and have not had a problem. I also use a Mac at home and from what I hear they are immune to most viruses.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    True enough the legality of this may always be in question but I have the pro version of limewire, been a loyal user for a few years now and never a problem..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdoit
    True enough the legality of this may always be in question but I have the pro version of limewire, been a loyal user for a few years now and never a problem..
    I also got the Pro version of Limewire and can't say for sure but my teenager picked up a nasty CTD (computer transmitted disease ;-) ) on her computer. Not sure it was from Limewire but she downloads plenty of songs from there. She also lives on AIM and My Space so it could have been from anywhere. Still, I've been warned not to use Limewire.

Maybe get your son an iTunes account and limit his spending ability. That's what I'm gonna do. Besides, I would rather pay a few cents for a song than rob song writers their due. Paying for songs is the "right" thing to do. Anyone who gets a CTD from downloading free songs kinda doesn't have room to complain. I could make a prophylactic analogy but I won't.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

We recently had a story on our local news about a Women who was sent a letter from the record companies telling her to pay $7000, or they will sue her. Turns out her kids and their friends where downloading from a file share site. She did not pay, and went to court, spent $20,000 in legal fees, ran out of cash, and is representing herself. No word on what happened after that.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    We recently had a story on our local news about a Women who was sent a letter from the record companies telling her to pay $7000, or they will sue her. Turns out her kids and their friends where downloading from a file share site. She did not pay, and went to court, spent $20,000 in legal fees, ran out of cash, and is representing herself. No word on what happened after that.
    Yep, they've hauled a few Grannys into court over file sharing, too. I think they randomly pick people who represent the "general population" to put the fear of God into the rest of us. Either way, at this point in time, when we can get a song we want for less than a dollar and without having to buy the entire CD (unless it's overall great) I think it makes a lot of sense to start paying to download them.

On that note, does anyone have a recomendation for which song store is best?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I'm not sure, but we got the kids ipods so we kind of stuck with itunes, since most others wont work with an ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I'm not sure, but we got the kids ipods so we kind of stuck with itunes, since most others wont work with an ipod.
    Thank you TTW! Good to know ipods are proprietary. Never thought about an MP3 not playing on all MP3 players. And itunes has an affiliate program!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

It was a surprise to me also, itunes dose not use a mp3 file, it is a m4p, Napster and others use different ones. It all has to do with their security junk. Itunes is trying to do a monopoly it with their itunes and ipods.

There are ways to get around the itunes stuff, I bought a song that I wanted to use on a dvd I was making. The software did not support a mp4 file, so what I did, was burn it to a CD, than ripped it back to the pc which made it a .wma file, which the software could use. What a pain in the butt! I was not happy! It took up too much of my time!

once a thief always a thief

limewire is good

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I used Wal-mart 88cent downloads for music for my daughter's wedding songs and was pleased. I've downloaded from Amazon in the past, too, but I don't download that much music, so don't have much to compare with.

My son uses iTunes.

As for Limewire, I don't know much about that, either, except that when we were trying to clean the "CDT" off my kids' computer a couple of months ago, we had a heck of a time getting Limewire completely uninstalled. I think there are still some bits and pieces left.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    If it's music, I sometimes use allofmp3.com. being an audiophile, I mostly buy CDs for the quality, and itunes does not exist in my country. At allofmp3, which is a russian site, and they say that it's legal and legitimate, what I like is that one can encode an mp3 (or m4a or wma) file online from lossless (CD quality files) - A Service itunes does not provide. I understand that a 192 kbps allofmp3 purchased song forf 10 cents, is of relatively much better quality than a 128 kbps bitrate 99c song at itunes.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Tower Records and CDbaby.com for indie music - the music will be mailed and may take more than a few days to arrive, but it's worth it. CDs are so much better than downloaded music
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    cdbaby.com is very cool. if you're a musician, you can publish and sell your music there!

Thanks for the info guys!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread